Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Obama administration spied on Democrats too-NY Times
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Obama administration spied on Democrats too-NY Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/opini...obama.html

A reminder that it wasn't just Republican political opponents the Obama administration spied on.

"...Criticism of Mr. Obama’s stance on press freedom, government transparency and secrecy is hotly disputed by the White House, but many journalism groups say the record is clear. Over the past eight years, the administration has prosecuted nine cases involving whistle-blowers and leakers, compared with only three by all previous administrations combined. It has repeatedly used the Espionage Act, a relic of World War I-era red-baiting, not to prosecute spies but to go after government officials who talked to journalists.
Under Mr. Obama, the Justice Department and the F.B.I. have spied on reporters by monitoring their phone records, labeled one journalist an unindicted co-conspirator in a criminal case for simply doing reporting and issued subpoenas to other reporters to try to force them to reveal their sources and testify in criminal cases.
I experienced this pressure firsthand when the administration tried to compel me to testify to reveal my confidential sources in a criminal leak investigation. ..."
02-04-2018 02:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

RE: Obama administration spied on Democrats too-NY Times
From the article also:

"...But critics say the crackdown has had a much greater chilling effect on press freedom than Mr. Obama acknowledges. In a scathing 2013 report for the Committee to Protect Journalists, Leonard Downie, a former executive editor of The Washington Post who now teaches at Arizona State University, said the war on leaks and other efforts to control information was “the most aggressive I’ve seen since the Nixon administration, when I was one of the editors involved in The Washington Post’s investigation of Watergate.”
When Mr. Obama was elected in 2008, press freedom groups had high expectations for the former constitutional law professor, particularly after the press had suffered through eight years of bitter confrontation with the Bush administration. But today, many of those same groups say Mr. Obama’s record of going after both journalists and their sources has set a dangerous precedent that Mr. Trump can easily exploit. “Obama has laid all the groundwork Trump needs for an unprecedented crackdown on the press,” said Trevor Timm, executive director of the nonprofit Freedom of the Press Foundation.
Dana Priest, a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter for The Washington Post, added: “Obama’s attorney general repeatedly allowed the F.B.I. to use intrusive measures against reporters more often than any time in recent memory...."
02-04-2018 02:03 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Was that shadiest ******* administration in our lifetimes. More time passes the more the light is going to be shined on those cockroaches.
02-04-2018 02:08 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

Reminds me of Darrell K. Royal's comment on the TCU Horned Frogs who had upset his highly ranked UT teams a couple of times,
"They're like cockroaches. It isn't what they pick up and carry off. Its what they fall into and mess up."

We need to get those cockroaches out of government. They are still messing things up.
02-04-2018 02:17 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
02-04-2018 02:28 PM
Advertisement

No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
[Image: obama-nixon.jpg]
02-05-2018 12:02 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
[Image: DpUom0Y.gif]
02-05-2018 02:08 PM
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Another opinion article...... the life blood of the right...............
02-05-2018 02:12 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(02-04-2018 02:02 PM)bullet Wrote:  https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/opini...obama.html

A reminder that it wasn't just Republican political opponents the Obama administration spied on.

"...Criticism of Mr. Obama’s stance on press freedom, government transparency and secrecy is hotly disputed by the White House, but many journalism groups say the record is clear. Over the past eight years, the administration has prosecuted nine cases involving whistle-blowers and leakers, compared with only three by all previous administrations combined. It has repeatedly used the Espionage Act, a relic of World War I-era red-baiting, not to prosecute spies but to go after government officials who talked to journalists.
Under Mr. Obama, the Justice Department and the F.B.I. have spied on reporters by monitoring their phone records, labeled one journalist an unindicted co-conspirator in a criminal case for simply doing reporting and issued subpoenas to other reporters to try to force them to reveal their sources and testify in criminal cases.
I experienced this pressure firsthand when the administration tried to compel me to testify to reveal my confidential sources in a criminal leak investigation. ..."

But...but...but---Mr Full of Schiff says that the FISA process described by the Nunes memo request is normal and typical of the process. Well---yeah--it probably was typical of the process under the crooked twisted and corrupt Obama administration. That doesnt mean it followed the law.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2018 02:17 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-05-2018 02:15 PM
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(02-05-2018 02:12 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Another opinion article...... the life blood of the right...............

The opinion is that if Trump does it, to thank obama.

obama doing it is a fact.
02-05-2018 02:23 PM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
(02-05-2018 02:23 PM)Kronke Wrote:  
(02-05-2018 02:12 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Another opinion article...... the life blood of the right...............

The opinion is that if Trump does it, to thank obama.

obama doing it is a fact.

don't be tooo hard on Mach...his monitor screen is covered by drool...

makes it hard for him to read...
02-05-2018 02:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.