Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Home Depot founder eviscerates Democrats for bashing tax reform savings
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Home Depot founder eviscerates Democrats for bashing tax reform savings
https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/01/28...pid-brains

Quote:The co-founder of hardware giant Home Depot mocked Democrats and their posture toward the Republican tax reform bill in a near-seven minute rant on Fox News over the weekend.

Quote:Bernie Marcus, whose company also announced bonuses and raises, was beside himself over Democrats’ characterization of the reform bill. He said:

"You wanna talk about somebody who is off the charts and doesn’t understand reality…it’s [Senate Minority Leader Chuck] Schumer and Pelosi. One thousand dollars is so meaningful…its more than meaningful — it could be paying the mortgage, it could be paying for a car repair, it could be paying for a past due bill.

These are things the Pelosi/Schumer group don’t have a clue about. It’s why they lost the election — it’s as simple as that! They are so with their elitists…and [Hillary] Clinton never knew about the real people out there and that’s why they lost the election. And that’s why they’re going to lose the next election."

Quote:“Remember, this is not the U.S. government. When [businesses] make an investment they do it because there’s got to be a return on invested capital. So they’re gonna do smart things, they’re gonna make smart moves,” Marcus explained.

“Democrats, use your stupid brains. You don’t have any brains!” he exclaimed on Fox.

The businessman concluded the interview by calling on Democrats to stop playing politics and urged them to look for legitimate ways to improve the lives of Americans. “That’s what it’s all about,” Marcus said.
01-28-2018 08:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TechRocks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tech
RE: Home Depot founder eviscerates Democrats for bashing tax reform savings
American workers are deplorable.
01-28-2018 08:50 PM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
Why not increase salaries?

I applause giving employees a bonus but an increase in salary would be more meaningful, long term.

Too, what happens when the deficit explodes and Republicans attack SS and Medicare to offset the transfer? Will that bonus help to pay for the workers healthcare or SS once they hit retirement age? That’s ultimately where we’re headed.
01-28-2018 10:14 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Where was this concern when the government was giving out money for stimulus? Oh now it's evil corporations giving their money the way they want to you have issues?
01-28-2018 10:17 PM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up
(01-28-2018 10:14 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  Why not increase salaries?

I applause giving employees a bonus but an increase in salary would be more meaningful, long term.

Too, what happens when the deficit explodes and Republicans attack SS and Medicare to offset the transfer? Will that bonus help to pay for the workers healthcare or SS once they hit retirement age? That’s ultimately where we’re headed.

Because you can't count on democrats not repealing this tax break the first chance that they get. Bonuses are an easy way to give back to employees without hurting business in the long run. When times are good, give them more. When times are tough, no bonus and you live off only wages.
01-28-2018 11:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Buffalo
(01-28-2018 10:14 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  what happens when the deficit explodes

Yea I wonder what that will look like...

[Image: 58814485f10a9a6d008b926f-1200]
01-28-2018 11:12 PM
Advertisement

Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

(01-28-2018 10:17 PM)gdunn Wrote:  Where was this concern when the government was giving out money for stimulus? Oh now it's evil corporations giving their money the way they want to you have issues?

Exactly! When the stimulus went to propping up government unions there was nary a tear shed on the left for debt or long term effect.
01-28-2018 11:13 PM
Mr_XcentricK Offline
World Wanderer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(01-28-2018 11:13 PM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  
(01-28-2018 10:17 PM)gdunn Wrote:  Where was this concern when the government was giving out money for stimulus? Oh now it's evil corporations giving their money the way they want to you have issues?

Exactly! When the stimulus went to propping up government unions there was nary a tear shed on the left for debt or long term effect.

And banks. And the auto industry and did you leave anyone else out when. You mentioned just the unions ?
01-28-2018 11:59 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
The government got back every single penny, plus interest, of all money used to "bail out" banks. Banks are non Union. The government got back hardly any of the money back that was used to bail out auto companies. Auto companies are Union.
01-29-2018 12:13 AM
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

(01-28-2018 11:59 PM)Mr_XcentricK Wrote:  
(01-28-2018 11:13 PM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  

And banks. And the auto industry and did you leave anyone else out when. You mentioned just the unions ?

Sure toss them in as well... It all sucked and it was all done by lord O and it all provided *zero* investment in the future. But lord O got a big round of applause.

And that was the government HANDING OUT money

This is the government *TAKING LESS* money
01-29-2018 01:07 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(01-28-2018 08:17 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/01/28...pid-brains

Quote:The co-founder of hardware giant Home Depot mocked Democrats and their posture toward the Republican tax reform bill in a near-seven minute rant on Fox News over the weekend.

Quote:Bernie Marcus, whose company also announced bonuses and raises, was beside himself over Democrats’ characterization of the reform bill. He said:

"You wanna talk about somebody who is off the charts and doesn’t understand reality…it’s [Senate Minority Leader Chuck] Schumer and Pelosi. One thousand dollars is so meaningful…its more than meaningful — it could be paying the mortgage, it could be paying for a car repair, it could be paying for a past due bill.

These are things the Pelosi/Schumer group don’t have a clue about. It’s why they lost the election — it’s as simple as that! They are so with their elitists…and [Hillary] Clinton never knew about the real people out there and that’s why they lost the election. And that’s why they’re going to lose the next election."

Quote:“Remember, this is not the U.S. government. When [businesses] make an investment they do it because there’s got to be a return on invested capital. So they’re gonna do smart things, they’re gonna make smart moves,” Marcus explained.

“Democrats, use your stupid brains. You don’t have any brains!” he exclaimed on Fox.

The businessman concluded the interview by calling on Democrats to stop playing politics and urged them to look for legitimate ways to improve the lives of Americans. “That’s what it’s all about,” Marcus said.

Yea, cause hes a capitalist pig! He's got plenty of money, What's he need more for? The rest should go to the workers. What's he done to earn that other than start the business? He din't build that, the workers did.

07-coffee3
01-29-2018 01:25 AM
Advertisement

JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

(01-28-2018 08:50 PM)TechRocks Wrote:  American workers are deplorable.

Yes, agreed. 100%.03-pissed

And this is why Cryin Shmucky is so on point. We need an increased flux of unskilled Mesicans, Guatemalans and Salvadorans to replace them. They are harder working, more "honest" (except for the fence jumping), all valedictorians or Vets, and clearly more virtuous than any of us or anyone else.

I weep for them too. 07-coffee3
01-29-2018 01:31 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

Why not start your own business from scratch and answer that yourself?

Bet ya won't!
01-29-2018 01:33 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl

If you made the effort to look at things from an employer's perspective, you would understand. Late in life, George McGovern became a small business owner. He said it was quite the revelation. All of these things that he thought were no big deal for businesses when he was writing laws, all of a sudden they were big deals and big problems. That is the kind of understanding that people need to write laws and regulations. Without that, we are just shipping jobs overseas.

Quote:Too, what happens when the deficit explodes and Republicans attack SS and Medicare to offset the transfer? Will that bonus help to pay for the workers healthcare or SS once they hit retirement age? That’s ultimately where we’re headed.

Umm, we're already there. Deficit has been exploding for quite some time. This isn't much more than rounding error on top of what is already baked into the cake.
01-29-2018 08:08 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(01-29-2018 01:31 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  
(01-28-2018 08:50 PM)TechRocks Wrote:  American workers are deplorable.

Yes, agreed. 100%.03-pissed

And this is why Cryin Shmucky is so on point. We need an increased flux of unskilled Mesicans, Guatemalans and Salvadorans to replace them. They are harder working, more "honest" (except for the fence jumping), all valedictorians or Vets, and clearly more virtuous than any of us or anyone else.

I weep for them too. 07-coffee3

I posted this article in another thread, but seems to dovetail well with this thread too. It's about importing illegal immigrant labor.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall...26933a3fea

Quote:It's that last phrase: labour supply is almost perfectly inelastic. We normally think of both income and substitution effects when thinking about wages. The first is the idea that there's some income we think we need to make and we'll work until we do so. The second is that we find other things interesting in life as well, over and above work, and what we get paid to work has to be higher than that value. Otherwise we won't work. Near perfectly inelastic means that the income effect is entirely dominating here: there's almost no substitution going on. Even if we offer $2 an hour and that's the only work going then the illegals will do that rather than going fishing as we would.

Why?

The obvious answer being that the illegals don't have access to the welfare state. They don't get Section 8 vouchers, don't get SNAP, don't get unemployment pay, don't get the near 80 varied programs that exist. And that's what explains the difference in labour supply. If an employer tries to take advantage of us legals with very low wages not only can we report them but also we can just walk away from the offer. We've got something we can fall back on other than a $2 an hour job. Illegals do not. And this is what explains the difference in labour supply.

The point to really grasp here though is not about illegal labour at all. It's about all that shouting that welfare is a subsidy to employers of low wage labour. But it isn't, is it? Look what happens to the price of labour when there's no welfare available. It doesn't rise at all: it falls. Thus welfare (other than the EITC, which is only paid to legals in work) is, far from being a subsidy to employers, an anti-subsidy. It raises the wages that employers must pay: in the jargon it raises the reservation wage.

Both the Dems and the GOP try their hardest to exploit illegal immigrants. We never see the Dems push for legalization of illegals until the GOP has control of the gov't. GOP is no better.
01-29-2018 08:22 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
The Dems are trying to raise a credible point, that the tax cuts are permanent and will save these companies millions every year, but the bonuses are very likely a 1 time thing that won’t be repeated. The problem is they are horrible at it and come off sounding ignorant of how important 1k is to people.
01-29-2018 10:37 AM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
A group of Crying Chuck ShutdownSchumer's dreamer valedictorians.

[Image: MS-13-Gang-Members-Getty-640x480.png]
01-29-2018 10:38 AM
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
The only folks who received Home Depot’s one time, $1000 bonus were hourly employees who have worked there for 20+ years.

I’m curious what percentage of Home Depot’s staff meets that criteria.
01-29-2018 11:52 AM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
The bonus' are a PR stunt that will backfire in a couple of years.
01-29-2018 12:18 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(01-29-2018 12:18 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  The bonus' are a PR stunt that will backfire in a couple of years.

They are not going to “backfire” because no matter what those getting the bonuses benefitted greatly from them and they are not insignificant. Now I do believe they are mostly for PR and won’t be recurring, but that doesn’t make them bad and the Dems need to do a much better job shaping the argument that these businesses should make these permanent increases like the corporate tax cut is permanent.
01-29-2018 12:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.