Coastal and Liberty sign Home/Home
01-23-2018 08:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
RE: Coastal and Liberty sign Home/Home
(01-23-2018 08:18 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Did not see this posted. http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/01/coast...ll-series/

Posted under rivalry renewed but I am excited to get the series going again.
01-23-2018 08:31 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Missed opportunity at best by CCU's Athletic Director.

For the record, it appears as though (as of 2014), the CCU athletic department was using student fees and other institutional subsidies for 19.2 million of the cost of their athletic program (82% of the total cost). Works out to $1,832 per student that year. https://dc.statelibrary.sc.gov/bitstream...sAllowed=y

There's already been some mild to severe pushback regarding the expense of CCU's athletic program. Using those fees to prop up a program that openly discriminates and where some students have ample reason to not feel welcome at the away game is a bad idea.

But CCU's Athletic Department is free to thumb their noses at the people who pay their bills, I suppose. Having students upset with your athletic department, even marginalized ones, is usually a bad look. Especially if they're the ones your program is being financed from.

I guess CCU's Athletic Department is planning on the students and taxpayers funding around 200,000,000 (~20 million a year) in college athletic department deficits in the next decade or so. And that's not including any non-taxable bonds they might be planning on issuing to finance athletic facilities. Not exactly a position of strength. The SC legislature isn't going to come after CCU for scheduling Liberty....but its possible that they'll come after the program at some point in the future for financial reasons. They really might want to think about what happens if they come for the program....and there are sizeable numbers of students say "yea, its too expensive and I don't see any benefit from it, or they just stay marginalized from the program and do nothing to save it".

And for what? A game that will mean nothing unless they lose it? I thought CCU left the Big South to get away from the teams in that league.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2018 09:13 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
01-24-2018 06:53 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
Lol...Tom you are a smart guy when you talk sports. This nonsense you start up when Liberty is mentioned just makes you look small. I really hope stAte schedules a home and home with Liberty just to make you happy. Lol...pitiful...Really. Ok back on ignore.
01-24-2018 08:45 PM
Advertisement

msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Actually, I secretly hope USA schedules Liberty just to watch TIL's reaction.

[Image: 8c8.gif]
01-24-2018 09:15 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
How is Coastal's athletic program discriminatory?
01-24-2018 10:10 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(01-24-2018 06:53 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Missed opportunity at best by CCU's Athletic Director.

For the record, it appears as though (as of 2014), the CCU athletic department was using student fees and other institutional subsidies for 19.2 million of the cost of their athletic program (82% of the total cost). Works out to $1,832 per student that year. https://dc.statelibrary.sc.gov/bitstream...sAllowed=y

There's already been some mild to severe pushback regarding the expense of CCU's athletic program. Using those fees to prop up a program that openly discriminates and where some students have ample reason to not feel welcome at the away game is a bad idea.

But CCU's Athletic Department is free to thumb their noses at the people who pay their bills, I suppose. Having students upset with your athletic department, even marginalized ones, is usually a bad look. Especially if they're the ones your program is being financed from.

I guess CCU's Athletic Department is planning on the students and taxpayers funding around 200,000,000 (~20 million a year) in college athletic department deficits in the next decade or so. And that's not including any non-taxable bonds they might be planning on issuing to finance athletic facilities. Not exactly a position of strength. The SC legislature isn't going to come after CCU for scheduling Liberty....but its possible that they'll come after the program at some point in the future for financial reasons. They really might want to think about what happens if they come for the program....and there are sizeable numbers of students say "yea, its too expensive and I don't see any benefit from it, or they just stay marginalized from the program and do nothing to save it".

And for what? A game that will mean nothing unless they lose it? I thought CCU left the Big South to get away from the teams in that league.

Tom, you just managed to bring up athletic fees in an argument about scheduling Liberty. Those two are completely unrelated. Especially when it comes to Coastal, who actually had a long rivalry with them.
01-24-2018 10:41 PM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(01-24-2018 08:45 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  Lol...Tom you are a smart guy when you talk sports. This nonsense you start up when Liberty is mentioned just makes you look small. I really hope stAte schedules a home and home with Liberty just to make you happy. Lol...pitiful...Really. Ok back on ignore.

This is 100% accurate.

Tom, you're not convincing anyone or changing anyone's mind about Liberty with your drawn out information. You're just making it obvious to everyone that you have a personal agenda against Liberty, and nothing more.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2018 11:55 PM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
01-24-2018 11:49 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(01-24-2018 11:49 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(01-24-2018 08:45 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  Lol...Tom you are a smart guy when you talk sports. This nonsense you start up when Liberty is mentioned just makes you look small. I really hope stAte schedules a home and home with Liberty just to make you happy. Lol...pitiful...Really. Ok back on ignore.

This is 100% accurate.

Tom, you're not convincing anyone or changing anyone's mind about Liberty with your drawn out information. You're just making it obvious to everyone that you have a personal agenda against Liberty, and nothing more.

I have no problem with him attacking Liberty for their strange values. What I have an issue with is his recent refrain about Athletic fees, and somehow tying it in to playing Liberty, as if Coastal Students are more likely to protest Athletic fees because they are forced to watch Liberty.
01-25-2018 12:47 AM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(01-24-2018 09:15 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Actually, I secretly hope USA schedules Liberty just to watch TIL's reaction.

[Image: 8c8.gif]

I hope the whole conference does. Good grief it's just football.
01-25-2018 08:00 AM
Advertisement

DoubletapWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Red Wolves and SBC

This is 100% accurate.

Agree completely . . makes you look small minded and petty. 04-jawdrop
01-25-2018 09:08 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(01-25-2018 09:08 AM)DoubletapWolf Wrote:  

This is 100% accurate.

Agree completely . . makes you look small minded and petty. 04-jawdrop

Agreed
01-25-2018 09:15 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(01-25-2018 12:47 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

This is 100% accurate.

I have no problem with him attacking Liberty for their strange values. What I have an issue with is his recent refrain about Athletic fees, and somehow tying it in to playing Liberty, as if Coastal Students are more likely to protest Athletic fees because they are forced to watch Liberty.

Yes, but his voicing of dislike for Liberty coupled in with how some of our athletic departments and administrations should somehow be ashamed for scheduling them is constant, and quite petty.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2018 09:38 AM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
01-25-2018 09:33 AM
Advertisement

Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
I'll be small and petty with ya Tom. Screw Liberty.
01-25-2018 10:13 AM
CoachWillRob Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
Can we PLEASE try to go without mixing sports and politics! So tired of PC police trying to enforce their OPINIONS on every aspect of life. This is why many are tired of the NFL. Football should be an escape from politics and the real world, not the opposite. Can we not just say good for Coastal and Liberty, go Sunbelt, and move on?
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2018 10:31 AM by CoachWillRob.)
01-25-2018 10:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.