Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice to open Sports Merchandise store in the Rice Village
seniorowl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice and Navy
Rice to open Sports Merchandise store in the Rice Village
Smart move by Karlgaard. This will increase the visibility of the university and will attract the general public. Trying to park on campus to buy apparel is almost impossible.
01-22-2018 05:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
RE: Rice to open Sports Merchandise store in the Rice Village
Maybe off topic -- anyone know where I can get a t-shirt with the Rice seal? My last one is in tatters and everytime I go to Rice I cannot find one.
01-22-2018 05:27 PM
Houston Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
When was your last trip to the Campus Store in the RMC?

On my last trip (the first time in years), I was really surprised at the variety and quality of the inventory. It might be worth a look.
01-22-2018 05:31 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(01-22-2018 05:13 PM)seniorowl Wrote:  Smart move by Karlgaard. This will increase the visibility of the university and will attract the general public. Trying to park on campus to buy apparel is almost impossible.

Interesting... does it replace the on-campus sales (are they moving the apparel department of the campus store to the Village)?
01-22-2018 05:42 PM
Advertisement

seniorowl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice and Navy
There is a great selection on campus. But for the casual person, this new store is more convenient.
01-22-2018 06:17 PM
Barrett Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice, SJS

New Orleans Bowl
Unrelated, but I always thought Rice should open a Rice Club downtown, basically where alumni and their guests can dine. Other schools do it (providing dining and even a small number of hotel rooms), albeit mainly on the East Coast. If done properly (e.g., a good location, first class amenities), it could really enhance the brand of Rice, especially in the business community. Rice alums can meet there for lunch. The beauty is that schools like UT, A&M, or UH couldn't really do it as easily because the one strength they have over us--numbers--becomes a bit of a liability when it comes to a dining/social club.

I doubt this is something that Rice would do, but I genuinely think it would be a positive thing for the school.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2018 07:09 PM by Barrett.)
01-22-2018 07:08 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
One thing that didn’t make the brief announcement (and I hope is still part of the plan) is that there will be ticket sales as well. Not everyone wants or is capable of going online to buy in advance. In addition it might lead to spur of the moment sales. Imagine a poster indicating Army will be playing Rice in two weeks hangs in the window and an ex-Army officer sees it and decides to go. Or a kid sees an Owl shirt he really likes so his parents go in to buy it for him. Maybe there is a 25% discount to the next home game with purchases over $25......
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 12:27 PM by Tiki Owl.)
01-23-2018 09:43 AM
Advertisement

Pimpa Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice Owls
(01-23-2018 09:43 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  One thing that didn’t make the brief announcement (and I hope is still part of the plan) is that the will be ticket sales as well. Not everyone wants or is capable of going online to buy in advance. In addition it might lead to spur of the moment sales. Imagine a poster indicating Army will be playing Rice in two weeks hangs in the window and an ex-Army officer sees it and decides to go. Or a kid sees an Owl shirt he really likes so his parents go in to buy it for him. Maybe there is a 25% discount to the next home game with purchases over $25......

That is a fantastic idea, Tiki. Anything we can do to help spur ticket sales.

And I love the idea of a standalone retail store in the Village. When making a business trip to Houston on a weekday, it is difficult to park on campus and find a spot to go inside the RMC and shop for gear at the bookstore. While I have no illusions about the parking situation in the Village, I think (hope?) it is easier to get into this store for the out of towers or casual fans.
01-23-2018 09:52 AM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(01-23-2018 09:52 AM)Pimpa Wrote:  
(01-23-2018 09:43 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  One thing that didn’t make the brief announcement (and I hope is still part of the plan) is that the will be ticket sales as well. Not everyone wants or is capable of going online to buy in advance. In addition it might lead to spur of the moment sales. Imagine a poster indicating Army will be playing Rice in two weeks hangs in the window and an ex-Army officer sees it and decides to go. Or a kid sees an Owl shirt he really likes so his parents go in to buy it for him. Maybe there is a 25% discount to the next home game with purchases over $25......

And I love the idea of a standalone retail store in the Village. When making a business trip to Houston on a weekday, it is difficult to park on campus and find a spot to go inside the RMC and shop for gear at the bookstore. While I have no illusions about the parking situation in the Village, I think (hope?) it is easier to get into this store for the out of towers or casual fans.

Free parking on the building roof. Look for signs at the garage entrance.
01-23-2018 10:51 AM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl

We have to be selling tickets everywhere we can. This would be a great idea.
01-23-2018 10:58 AM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(01-23-2018 10:51 AM)Da.Owl Wrote:  
(01-23-2018 09:52 AM)Pimpa Wrote:  

Free parking on the building roof. Look for signs at the garage entrance.

I think the whole garage is now free. The street/surface parking has meters now.
01-23-2018 12:00 PM
chrisc Offline
2nd String

More details published in the Chronicle today: address is 2567 Amherst, near Kirby and University. Grand opening in March.

https://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/a...516406.php
01-23-2018 12:04 PM
owl95 Offline
1st String

I need some new work out clothes so I'm going when this place opens.
01-23-2018 12:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.