Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Memphis Fans MUST buy Season Tickets AND ATTEND
Bookmark and Share
Nobody4Prez Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Memphis Fans MUST buy Season Tickets AND ATTEND
If we truly desire to be relevant in college football it’s imperative our Alum and fans begin learning what it takes to elevate a program.

We have to support our program in the likes of:

Miami
Boise
TCU
BYU
UCF (cough but true)
Utah

To be the best we have to support our team like the best.

This season’s attendance was a joke. So many excuses. It’s hot, it’s cold, it’s raining, etc

We should have 40,000 fans at every game regardless of weather conditions.

Or we can just be an average football team

Fans in the stands is crucial

Our die hards have to adopt the “Bring a Friend” mentality like Coach West preached for years.

Coach West was right.
01-21-2018 12:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
RE: Memphis Fans MUST buy Season Tickets AND ATTEND
(01-21-2018 12:51 AM)Nobody4Prez Wrote:  If we truly desire to be relevant in college football it’s imperative our Alum and fans begin learning what it takes to elevate a program.

Miami
Boise
TCU
BYU
UCF (cough but true)
Utah

This season’s attendance was a joke. So many excuses. It’s hot, it’s cold, it’s raining, etc

Our die hards have to adopt the “Bring a Friend” mentality like Coach West preached for years.

Coach West was right.

This may “sting a little” but it’s VERY true! Fair weather fans need to get over themselves and show support as if your sons,grandsons or brothers out there.... the PASSION needs to bleed blu for this program.... I am praying that I will have excess to purchase a pkg as well as donate....Although currently living in HTahn
01-21-2018 08:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Exclamation RE: Memphis Fans MUST buy Season Tickets AND ATTEND
I have bought football season tickets for many years and plan to renew for the upcoming season despite living in Nashville. I am less sure about renewing basketball season tickets.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2018 08:44 AM by Tiger1983.)
01-21-2018 08:42 AM
roachman48 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Liberty bowl attendance was no joke. Kudos to the Iowa state and Memphis faithful for making the 2017 liberty bowl one of the few bowl sell outs!
01-21-2018 08:50 AM
Titans3775 Offline
All American

I Root For: Nuclear Power
(01-21-2018 12:51 AM)Nobody4Prez Wrote:  If we truly desire to be relevant in college football it’s imperative our Alum and fans begin learning what it takes to elevate a program.

Miami
Boise
TCU
BYU
UCF (cough but true)
Utah

Coach West was right.

If we support our program like Miami, UCF, and Boise then our attendance will actually go down...
01-21-2018 09:48 AM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
(01-21-2018 09:48 AM)Titans3775 Wrote:  

Miami
Boise
TCU
BYU
UCF (cough but true)
Utah

If we support our program like Miami, UCF, and Boise then our attendance will actually go down...

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

"Germans?"

"Forget it, he's rolling."
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2018 09:55 AM by Tigx.)
01-21-2018 09:51 AM
Advertisement

ksigtigerdood Offline
Heisman

(01-21-2018 08:50 AM)roachman48 Wrote:  Liberty bowl attendance was no joke. Kudos to the Iowa state and Memphis faithful for making the 2017 liberty bowl one of the few bowl sell outs!

The Liberty Bowl attendance really, REALLY frustrated me. It also led me to doubt whether our team would ever be able to attract a 45-50K average.

The attendance for that game was 57K (a sellout). Iowa State accounted for at least 25K of those in attendance. So, Memphis only attracted ~32K for the biggest game in our recent history. The game did sell out, but not until a couple days before the game. The average fan had plenty of time to buy tickets, and potentially take a ticket away from one of the Iowa State fans. If the demand was there, the LB wouldn't have had the opportunity to send more tickets to Iowa State. But, they did.

The weather was certainly a factor, but weather shouldn't play into a fan's decision when it's the biggest game in the last twenty years (probably more).
01-21-2018 10:37 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
When TW said it it was, 'Brang a friend'.
01-21-2018 10:52 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

If Brady White lives up to his potential Memphis will be one excitng team. That alone will bring in fans.
01-21-2018 10:59 AM
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
OK, next season I will postpone buying my kids medications so I can buy season tix!!! I'm all in...

/sarcasm meter off/
01-21-2018 11:02 AM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-21-2018 10:52 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  When TW said it it was, 'Brang a friend'.

PINEFUL
01-21-2018 11:06 AM
Advertisement

AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

Tommy West probably also said to bang a co-ed.
01-21-2018 11:06 AM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

If you enjoy the games, like I do, buy season tickets and go to the games. And don't spend too much time worrying about what other Tiger fans do.

If we are worried about power status, and competing for a championship, IMO the P5 is much more likely to go to a P4 in 5 years than expand to a P6. If we a are worried about competing in a playoff, then the best our Tiger program can probably hope for is an expansion of the playoff to 8 teams, with one guaranteed non-Power conference slot. So why not quit worrying if every game attendance total is a referendum on the future of our program, and just enjoy where we are now? Last 4 years have been pretty damn good.
01-21-2018 11:08 AM
tmoneyinmphs Offline
Mt.org's DJ wannabe

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Miami
Boise
TCU
BYU
UCF (cough but true)
Utah

Coach West was right.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2017/10/...st-orlando

Ucf had good weather for their games compared to us. I think they had some rain before our makeup game and that's it. Even with a great season being played out, they struggled with attendance all year long. In our first game with ucf, they had 32,000 fans there. Ucf had 29,000 fans show up for win #9.

Imo, it's a byproduct of the rigged college system. Everyone knows we can't win the championship plus the other disadvantages like not being able to keep your coach or not being on tv. You play against a lot of no name teams. It lowers our attendance. This will always be a problem.

I can't speak for all fan bases, but we have LOST a lot of potential fans to mostly sec schools in the last 20 years.

I'm one of the few fans here that doesn't support/follow any team other than memphis. I'd guess 75% of our fans are also fans of a sec team.

What percentage of sec fans do you think are a fan of memphis? How many sec fans can tell you about the memphis roster in such detail like our fans talk about their sec teams?
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2018 11:22 AM by tmoneyinmphs.)
01-21-2018 11:17 AM
tigerblu Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Must win the big ones .
01-21-2018 11:23 AM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-21-2018 11:17 AM)tmoneyinmphs Wrote:  

Imo, it's a byproduct of the rigged college system. Everyone knows we can't win the championship plus the other disadvantages like not being able to keep your coach or not being on tv. You play against a lot of no name teams. It lowers our attendance. This will always be a problem.

I can't speak for all fan bases, but we have LOST a lot of potential fans to mostly sec schools in the last 20 years.

I'm one of the few fans here that doesn't support/follow any team other than memphis. I'd guess 75% of our fans are also fans of a sec team.

What percentage of sec fans do you think are a fan of memphis? How many sec fans can tell you about the memphis roster in such detail like our fans talk about their sec teams?

With respect, I don't think that is true at all. Our attendance is higher now that we are winning, and there are often empty seats at SEC games and college football in general these days. Here's an article on college football attendance dropping for the last 6 years - https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...ight-year/ - and another from 10 days ago on bowl attendance dropping for the 7th consecutive year - http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/co...story.html .

Imo, the biggest reason is we all have big flat screen, smart TVs and 7 or 8 different games you can watch at the 11:00, 2:30 tv slots and then staggered starts all evening. Presents a pretty compelling and much cheaper alternative to attending games in person for a lot of fans.
01-21-2018 11:34 AM
Advertisement

Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

Next year has good road trips

New Orleans, navy, Dallas

Columbia(MO)

Don’t know about Ecu , maybe mountain trip
01-21-2018 11:35 AM
bariggins98 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tigers
(01-21-2018 10:37 AM)ksigtigerdood Wrote:  
(01-21-2018 08:50 AM)roachman48 Wrote:  Liberty bowl attendance was no joke. Kudos to the Iowa state and Memphis faithful for making the 2017 liberty bowl one of the few bowl sell outs!

The Liberty Bowl attendance really, REALLY frustrated me. It also led me to doubt whether our team would ever be able to attract a 45-50K average.

The attendance for that game was 57K (a sellout). Iowa State accounted for at least 25K of those in attendance. So, Memphis only attracted ~32K for the biggest game in our recent history. The game did sell out, but not until a couple days before the game. The average fan had plenty of time to buy tickets, and potentially take a ticket away from one of the Iowa State fans. If the demand was there, the LB wouldn't have had the opportunity to send more tickets to Iowa State. But, they did.

The weather was certainly a factor, but weather shouldn't play into a fan's decision when it's the biggest game in the last twenty years (probably more).

A lot of this has to do with economics and time of year. Not sure about you, but our tickets were $90+ each for season tickets that cost $150/each. My 20 something year old kids wanted to know why I didn't buy them tickets. Answer: Not paying almost $200 for tickets that you might decide at the last minute it's too cold, too wet, you'd rather watch on tv with friends, or too hungover from the night before to attend.
01-21-2018 12:13 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(01-21-2018 10:37 AM)ksigtigerdood Wrote:  

You act as if this was a regular home game. We LITERALLY could not buy 15,000 of those tickets because they BELONGED to ISU.

Believe me, I am with you on the "frustrated" part as it pertains to regular season home games, but you can not gauge it based on the bowl game.

I agree with the OP that our fans need to "man up" and get out there regardless of the weather. As far as season ticket sales, this is gonna take 2 or three more years of top 25 rankings to get to the point where we are selling 40K season tickets. Office/work place dynamics are at play here, and it's a tough thing to explain to people who don't live here (the city/region of Memphis).
01-21-2018 12:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
(01-21-2018 11:34 AM)Tigx Wrote:  
(01-21-2018 11:17 AM)tmoneyinmphs Wrote:  

With respect, I don't think that is true at all. Our attendance is higher now that we are winning, and there are often empty seats at SEC games and college football in general these days. Here's an article on college football attendance dropping for the last 6 years - https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...ight-year/ - and another from 10 days ago on bowl attendance dropping for the 7th consecutive year - http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/co...story.html .

Imo, the biggest reason is we all have big flat screen, smart TVs and 7 or 8 different games you can watch at the 11:00, 2:30 tv slots and then staggered starts all evening. Presents a pretty compelling and much cheaper alternative to attending games in person for a lot of fans.

HaHA! Good one! THIS exactly 03-idea Not to mention the streaming sites play a huge factor....I haven't had a cable subscription for 10 years...But can watch ANYTHING that I care too! 02-13-banana04-rockCOGS
01-21-2018 12:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.