Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Women's Hoops
Bookmark and Share
murph83 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Women's Hoops
The women's basketball team is on a skid, apparently mostly because of injuries, including ACL tears to its starting point guard and arguably its best 3-point shooter.

Apparently there are just nine active players on the roster, even though 15 currently are listed at niuhuskies.com. Anyone know what happened to the other six, in addition to injuries? Did some redshirt, or quit? Hate to use injuries as an excuse, but they definitely must be having an impact, even though Lisa Carlsen hasn't mention them as crutches.

I know this is a football- and men's basketball-centric site, but some of us would appreciate further knowledge of what's going on with women's basketball. There were high hopes at the start of the year. Thanks!
01-18-2018 01:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

62423dp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
RE: Women's Hoops
Hodges- injured leg possible return
Orr- injured (not sure what) last year as transfer, more of same this year
Poisson- ACL
Starks-ACL
Harris-injured knee end of last year, surgery, season over this year. Chronic pain.
Sladek-injured knee (2 years ago?) surgery, season over this year. Chronic pain.

Lots of knee issues. It happens in every program. The big issue is the recovery or lack thereof.
Team docs?
Training staff?
01-18-2018 08:30 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(01-18-2018 01:13 AM)murph83 Wrote:  The women's basketball team is on a skid, apparently mostly because of injuries, including ACL tears to its starting point guard and arguably its best 3-point shooter.

Apparently there are just nine active players on the roster, even though 15 currently are listed at niuhuskies.com. Anyone know what happened to the other six, in addition to injuries? Did some redshirt, or quit? Hate to use injuries as an excuse, but they definitely must be having an impact, even though Lisa Carlsen hasn't mention them as crutches.

I know this is a football- and men's basketball-centric site, but some of us would appreciate further knowledge of what's going on with women's basketball. There were high hopes at the start of the year. Thanks!

Yes, the injuries have taken their toll. No one has quit the team. I do not believe any have redshirted. If so, Lisa may need to remove those.

These ladies have tons of grit and fight like hell on the court. They lost by 3 on the road last Saturday to a very good Toledo team and, despite a spirited rally, lost last night by 3 to Central Michigan, whose record is 14-3. Even with this "skid", the ladies are still 10-7, and more wins will come very soon. The injuries have undoubtedly had a big effect, but also there are many superb women's teams in the MAC. There is a lot of talent and they are well coached. Sue Guevara has always had her Chippewas at or near the top.

Of course, I would like to see the women at the top. But, through adversity, they always give 100% on the court and never give up. They are a very good team. Can't ask for much more. I'll be there Saturday to see the women play Eastern Michigan.
01-18-2018 08:35 AM
NIUSAE Offline
All American

I Root For:
ACL's are very prevalent among women athletes because of nature. Many times there is no contact or otherwise obvious physical cause. Huskies ran same game ending play at UT as they did last night against CMU with same unfortunate result. They definitely seem to be playing more and harder on defense this year than last.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2018 11:11 AM by NIUSAE.)
01-18-2018 11:10 AM
murph83 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
It's impressive that the women are in every game despite being decimated by injuries. Kudos to them.
01-18-2018 11:45 AM
huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

#7 rated Conference. The MAC is really tough for women's hoops.
Hoping Castro can run the point. Still love the team and hope they get a little healthy by tournament time.
Great team to cheer for.
01-18-2018 11:06 PM
Advertisement

Splooie99 Offline
2nd String

I support all the teams no matter what. I have only missed one NIU game/match in 15 years in the state of Oregon. Went to the woman's BB game against Oregon last year. We got our clocks cleaned, but it was great meeting some of the parents and students.
I did miss one of the baseball games due to being out of town. It seems like NIU travels to Oregon about ever 2-3 years in one sport or another.
It is a blast meeting the players parents and talking to them about NIU and the surrounding area (if they are on vacation). Good fun.
01-19-2018 09:44 AM
62423dp Offline
Special Teams

Lost at home tonight to Miami. That’s 7 losses in a row since point guard went down. Not many in attendance tonight. Bad hoops right now at NIU.
01-31-2018 11:09 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-31-2018 11:09 PM)62423dp Wrote:  Lost at home tonight to Miami. That’s 7 losses in a row since point guard went down. Not many in attendance tonight. Bad hoops right now at NIU.

This is sad indeed. The ladies are trying, but they just don't have it now. It has also become a mental thing. The point guard situation certainly is a major reason. But, when you have 15 on the team and 6 are out with serious knee issues, that for sure takes a toll physically and mentally on the rest of the team. A couple of the players have been playing all 40 minutes. Hope that all will be able to come back next year, but ACLs are tough injuries. Lisa will have some recruiting work to do in the offseason.
02-01-2018 09:04 AM
huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

(02-01-2018 09:04 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(01-31-2018 11:09 PM)62423dp Wrote:  Lost at home tonight to Miami. That’s 7 losses in a row since point guard went down. Not many in attendance tonight. Bad hoops right now at NIU.

This is sad indeed. The ladies are trying, but they just don't have it now. It has also become a mental thing. The point guard situation certainly is a major reason. But, when you have 15 on the team and 6 are out with serious knee issues, that for sure takes a toll physically and mentally on the rest of the team. A couple of the players have been playing all 40 minutes. Hope that all will be able to come back next year, but ACLs are tough injuries. Lisa will have some recruiting work to do in the offseason.
+1
Even when they have the lead other teams put on the press and with no true point guards it becomes a turnover fest. I give Voigt a lot of credit as she is now forced to be the point guard. To have 2 point guards go down is awful. It effects everything.
02-01-2018 11:55 AM
17Huskies Offline
Heisman

if they only have 9 active practices, are there other red shirts or something that just aren't playing? I was thinking of practice...can they not even do 5 on 5 scrimmages? That'd be kind of crazy.
02-02-2018 01:04 PM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(02-02-2018 01:04 PM)17Huskies Wrote:  if they only have 9 active practices, are there other red shirts or something that just aren't playing? I was thinking of practice...can they not even do 5 on 5 scrimmages? That'd be kind of crazy.

No, there are only 9 active bodies to play or practice. There are a total of 15 players on the team and 6 are out. There are no active point guards. The team is hurting. Make the best of it this year, and then on to next year.
02-02-2018 02:21 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(02-02-2018 02:21 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(02-02-2018 01:04 PM)17Huskies Wrote:  if they only have 9 active practices, are there other red shirts or something that just aren't playing? I was thinking of practice...can they not even do 5 on 5 scrimmages? That'd be kind of crazy.

No, there are only 9 active bodies to play or practice. There are a total of 15 players on the team and 6 are out. There are no active point guards. The team is hurting. Make the best of it this year, and then on to next year.

I thought you were going to volunteer to be the 10th player.
02-02-2018 02:37 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(02-02-2018 02:37 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(02-02-2018 02:21 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

I thought you were going to volunteer to be the 10th player.

I would but at my age, it's difficult for me to shoot. And the women are much better dribblers (even though I dribble more than I shoot). All I can do at this stage of my life is watch and dream. 03-weeping
02-02-2018 02:42 PM
cagy cager Offline
1st String

The tone of this and many of your posts seems to go against the grain in today’s #metoo climate of exposing and trying to eliminate sexually harassing behaviors. In light of Harvey Weinstein and the Michigan State sex offender Nasser, I would think you would want to stop broadcasting all your sexually charged thoughts especially about female athletes and cheerleaders.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2018 04:04 PM by cagy cager.)
02-02-2018 04:03 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(02-02-2018 04:03 PM)cagy cager Wrote:  The tone of this and many of your posts seems to go against the grain in today’s #metoo climate of exposing and trying to eliminate sexually harassing behaviors. In light of Harvey Weinstein and the Michigan State sex offender Nasser, I would think you would want to stop broadcasting all your sexually charged thoughts especially about female athletes and cheerleaders.

I pulled you off of my "Ignore" list just so I could read this post because I had an idea of what you would say.

What in the hell is your problem? Why is YOUR mind always in the gutter? It definitely has to be because you are adding your sick interpretation to my comments. NIU007 said he thought I would be the 10th player. I simply replied that I am too old and can't shoot. I'm lucky I can throw the ball with my pains. If I can't shoot, how in the hell else am I supposed to say it? I also said that I can dribble, but nowhere near as well as the women players. I can dribble more than I can shoot, and that is a fact (although I am a lousy dribbler). All I can do is watch the ladies play and dream that I can play like I did in my youth. Thus, in conclusion, I can't be that 10th player. Is there another way to say it that won't offend your filthy mind? Actually, I don't give a rat's arse because you're back on ignore anyway. Go back to praising the men's team's mediocrity.
02-02-2018 04:22 PM
Advertisement

17Huskies Offline
Heisman

Cagy, while off-color per usual, he didn't say anything about the women...he simply refers to himself. To put that in the same comment as those others, makes 0 sense.
02-02-2018 07:28 PM
huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

Cagy reminds me of Grampa Simpson.
02-02-2018 07:46 PM
NIUfrank Offline
Special Teams

I wish we could shut down all women's sports and use that money for football and men's bball.
02-03-2018 10:56 AM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(02-02-2018 07:46 PM)huskie1stdown Wrote:  Cagy reminds me of Grampa Simpson.

Totally agree. +2
02-03-2018 12:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.