Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Maybe the Spanish/Euro diseases did NOTwipe out millions of Native Americans
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Salmonella May Have Caused Massive Aztec Epidemic, Study Finds
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/...tudy-finds

It was one of the most devastating epidemics in human history. The 1545 outbreak, and a second wave in 1576, killed an estimated 7 million to 17 million people and contributed to the destruction of the Aztec Empire.

In the end, they found evidence of the deadly Salmonella enterica Paratyphi C bacteria.

The study does not pinpoint the source of the bacteria, which is an area of great interest for biologists and archaeologists alike. The authors note that many epidemics of the period are believed to originate with European invaders who arrived in the region in the early part of the 16th century, but the new research doesn't present biological evidence for or against that.

A previous study suggested the pathogen responsible for the epidemic originated in Mexico, and that the epidemic was exacerbated by drought. And, Bos notes, "the Europeans who were observing the symptoms didn't know what it was, and Europeans got it as well," which suggests it wasn't a disease endemic to Europe.

Funny how history changes sometimes.
01-15-2018 04:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Maybe the Spanish/Euro diseases did NOTwipe out millions of Native Americans
Seems politically correct to show that immigrants are not likely to introduce damaging outbreaks of disease.

Very timely discovery.
01-15-2018 04:41 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: Maybe the Spanish/Euro diseases did NOTwipe out millions of Native Americans
funny how time changes what is learned and understood, eh?

if there's one thing I learned at the earliest whilst climbing the ladder to the latter......they're all full of shite and only know what they know at a specific point in time.....

the rest of it simply becomes a food plot for the fawns and does to wander upon......one can only hope there's a sage buck in the background telling them 'when'......
01-15-2018 04:44 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Paraptyphoid fever is still a thing in the undeveloped world. Mostly in Asia and Africa anymore. Its caused by that same bacteria they cite. There is a Salmonella Paratyphi A & B as well.
01-15-2018 04:45 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(01-15-2018 04:45 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Paraptyphoid fever is still a thing in the undeveloped world. Mostly in Asia and Africa anymore. Its caused by that same bacteria they cite. There is a Salmonella Paratyphi A & B as well.

Thanks, that is news to me ignorant on the topic.
01-15-2018 05:06 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(01-15-2018 05:06 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(01-15-2018 04:45 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Paraptyphoid fever is still a thing in the undeveloped world. Mostly in Asia and Africa anymore. Its caused by that same bacteria they cite. There is a Salmonella Paratyphi A & B as well.

Prior to going to school and getting all edjumacated, I was a Navy Corpsman with USMC combat engineers. I still know all kinds of stuff about bad things that happen to good (and bad) people in places off the beaten path..
01-15-2018 05:18 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Interesting.
01-15-2018 05:35 PM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
(01-15-2018 05:18 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

Prior to going to school and getting all edjumacated, I was a Navy Corpsman with USMC combat engineers. I still know all kinds of stuff about bad things that happen to good (and bad) people in places off the beaten path..

DevilDoc!!!
01-15-2018 05:41 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(01-15-2018 05:18 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

Gotcha, thanks
01-15-2018 05:47 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Not were Asians the first Americans, lol

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2...-siberian/

First nations people are probably Second Nations people.

Bwahahahaha. History they don't teach you.
01-15-2018 05:56 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
I call fabrics. It is already a fact that the white devil is the root of all evils.
01-15-2018 05:58 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Those dang taco stands. Tsk.
01-15-2018 07:14 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-15-2018 04:44 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  funny how time changes what is learned and understood, eh?

if there's one thing I learned at the earliest whilst climbing the ladder to the latter......they're all full of shite and only know what they know at a specific point in time.....

the rest of it simply becomes a food plot for the fawns and does to wander upon......one can only hope there's a sage buck in the background telling them 'when'......

Well smallpox did play a big part in the decimation of Indians on the US east coast and Mississippi Valley.
01-15-2018 07:15 PM
Advertisement

olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(01-15-2018 05:56 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Not were Asians the first Americans, lol

My people originate from Mongolia. All you have to do is look at native American (both American and Mexican) and you will see very similar facial features. Eskimos share this look. It doesn't take a genius.
01-15-2018 07:18 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-15-2018 05:56 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Not were Asians the first Americans, lol

Chekov: Ve all know that ze Russians populated Amerika.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news...-genetics/

https://cosmosmagazine.com/archaeology/d...population

Latest DNA evidence supports migration from Siberia.
01-15-2018 07:22 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(01-15-2018 07:15 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(01-15-2018 04:44 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  funny how time changes what is learned and understood, eh?

Well smallpox did play a big part in the decimation of Indians on the US east coast and Mississippi Valley.

wasn't my point....

point was history writes itself by the day.....it's up to the individual to do the due and weigh the whey....

ref: see thread title.....that should help
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2018 07:29 PM by stinkfist.)
01-15-2018 07:23 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(01-15-2018 07:18 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  

My people originate from Mongolia. All you have to do is look at native American (both American and Mexican) and you will see very similar facial features. Eskimos share this look. It doesn't take a genius.
More than that

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2756549/

This was known before genetics.
01-15-2018 07:24 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
But the Indians paid the white man back, introducing syphilis to the Spaniards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
01-15-2018 08:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.