Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Are the Germans losing their edge?
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
Are the Germans losing their edge?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/german-engi...1515753000

Quote:Germany’s naval brass in 2005 dreamed up a warship that could ferry marines into combat anywhere in the world, go up against enemy ships and stay away from home ports for two years with a crew half the size of its predecessor’s.

First delivered for sea trials in 2016 after a series of delays, the 7,000-ton Baden-Württemberg frigate was determined last month to have an unexpected design flaw: It doesn’t really work.

Defense experts cite the warship’s buggy software and ill-considered arsenal—as well as what was until recently its noticeable list to starboard—as symptoms of deeper, more intractable problems: Shrinking military expertise and growing confusion among German leaders about what the country’s armed forces are for.

A litany of bungled infrastructure projects has tarred Germany’s reputation for engineering prowess. There is still no opening date for Berlin’s new €6 billion ($7.2 billion) airport, which is already 10 years behind schedule, and the redesign of Stuttgart’s railway station remains stalled more than a decade after work on the project started. Observers have blamed these mishaps on poor planning and project management, which also figured in major setbacks for several big military projects.
01-12-2018 12:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

UofMTigerTim Online
2nd String

I Root For:
RE: Are the Germans losing their edge?
(01-12-2018 12:34 PM)miko33 Wrote:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/german-engi...1515753000

Quote:Germany’s naval brass in 2005 dreamed up a warship that could ferry marines into combat anywhere in the world, go up against enemy ships and stay away from home ports for two years with a crew half the size of its predecessor’s.

First delivered for sea trials in 2016 after a series of delays, the 7,000-ton Baden-Württemberg frigate was determined last month to have an unexpected design flaw: It doesn’t really work.

Defense experts cite the warship’s buggy software and ill-considered arsenal—as well as what was until recently its noticeable list to starboard—as symptoms of deeper, more intractable problems: Shrinking military expertise and growing confusion among German leaders about what the country’s armed forces are for.

A litany of bungled infrastructure projects has tarred Germany’s reputation for engineering prowess. There is still no opening date for Berlin’s new €6 billion ($7.2 billion) airport, which is already 10 years behind schedule, and the redesign of Stuttgart’s railway station remains stalled more than a decade after work on the project started. Observers have blamed these mishaps on poor planning and project management, which also figured in major setbacks for several big military projects.

The German Navy returned the first ship back to the builder. That is a big deal and almost never happens.
01-12-2018 12:39 PM
UofMstateU Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
As long as it can ferry into Germany thousands of isis refugee children disguised as 25 year old men, then Merkle will be happy with it.
01-12-2018 12:40 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I am curious why Germany needed naval force projection to deliver marines to foreign beaches, but whatevs.......
01-12-2018 12:48 PM

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(01-12-2018 12:39 PM)UofMTigerTim Wrote:  The German Navy returned the first ship back to the builder. That is a big deal and almost never happens.

Yes, we accepted the Gerald Ford aircraft carrier even though a few things on it don't work the way they are supposed to work--like the catapults and the arresting gear.
01-12-2018 01:20 PM
shere khan Offline
AAC Troll Emeritus

I Root For: Memphis
(01-12-2018 12:48 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I am curious why Germany needed naval force projection to deliver marines to foreign beaches, but whatevs.......

The 4th Reich
01-12-2018 01:26 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Three Floyds

Donators
(01-12-2018 12:48 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I am curious why Germany needed naval force projection to deliver marines to foreign beaches, but whatevs.......

Storming beaches to repatriate foreign nationals.
01-12-2018 03:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
German engineering prowess is more the result of a a quasi-marketing campaign than anything based in fact.
01-12-2018 03:06 PM
banker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
(01-12-2018 03:06 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  German engineering prowess is more the result of a a quasi-marketing campaign than anything based in fact.

Yeah, I have to completely disagree with that. I'm not talking consumer goods, but the machinery used to build other machinery, where precision is paramount.
01-12-2018 03:38 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(01-12-2018 03:38 PM)banker Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 03:06 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  German engineering prowess is more the result of a a quasi-marketing campaign than anything based in fact.

Yeah, I have to completely disagree with that. I'm not talking consumer goods, but the machinery used to build other machinery, where precision is paramount.

Yea, I'm gonna have to stand by that. The heavy machinery I'm most familiar with, used in the oil and gas industry, from the rock busting to the very fine isn't German.

And, when it comes to other forms of engineering, outside manufacturing, the Germans are not kings nor are they always in the conversation.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 03:44 PM by HeartOfDixie.)
01-12-2018 03:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.