Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

We should re-brand ourselves as "757". What are your thoughts?
Bookmark and Share
xxxoduxxx Offline
2nd String

I Root For: XXXODUXXX
Instead of "Virginia map" or "ODU Athlete logo" on the court in middle, can we rebrand ourselves as "757" instead? 757 is known for athletes.

I think local athletes would love to go represent the "757" brand rather than the bad "old dominion university" logo or "ODU" logo, or Virginia map" logo. Also, I think they would choose: "757" rather than "VA tech or UVA".

What are your thoughts?
01-11-2018 10:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

monarx Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
RE: We should re-brand ourselves as "757". What are your thoughts?
(01-11-2018 10:40 PM)xxxoduxxx Wrote:  Instead of "Virginia map" or "ODU Athlete logo" on the court in middle, can we rebrand ourselves as "757" instead? 757 is known for athletes.

I think local athletes would love to go represent the "757" brand rather than the bad "old dominion university" logo or "ODU" logo, or Virginia map" logo. Also, I think they would choose: "757" rather than "VA tech or UVA".

What are your thoughts?

VT has always taken pride their 757 guys, acknowledging them etc, and I don't think theres much we can do to out recruit them. Maybe if we beat them a few years in a row and get comparable facilities we can snag a couple here and there.

Its an interesting idea, however, a big part of why a college has a sports program is to help promote the school. Thats why for many years the school insisted we be called "Old Dominion" rather than "ODU". For that reason I think 757 on center court would (and should) be a non-starter. However, I do think we should embrace the 757 thing and try to establish ourselves as the 757 home team. Perhaps stickers on the football helmets, similar to those p6 stickers on the AAC teams. Maybe a patch sewn onto jerseys, or painted into corners on the court.. something to get people talking anyway. But the emphasis rightfully should be Old Dominion or ODU, thats the school, thats who the teams represent first.
01-11-2018 10:46 PM
jasdf Offline
2nd String

I Root For: OD
We absolutely should represent "the 757"
01-11-2018 10:50 PM
TheDancinMonarch Online
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
In the early signing period we got 17 new players for football. Only 2 were from the 757. Maybe we could be the NOT_757.
01-11-2018 10:50 PM

xxxoduxxx Offline
2nd String

I Root For: XXXODUXXX
(01-11-2018 10:46 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(01-11-2018 10:40 PM)xxxoduxxx Wrote:  Instead of "Virginia map" or "ODU Athlete logo" on the court in middle, can we rebrand ourselves as "757" instead? 757 is known for athletes.

What are your thoughts?

VT has always taken pride their 757 guys, acknowledging them etc, and I don't think theres much we can do to out recruit them. Maybe if we beat them a few years in a row and get comparable facilities we can snag a couple here and there.

Its an interesting idea, however, a big part of why a college has a sports program is to help promote the school. Thats why for many years the school insisted we be called "Old Dominion" rather than "ODU". For that reason I think 757 on center court would (and should) be a non-starter. However, I do think we should embrace the 757 thing and try to establish ourselves as the 757 home team. Perhaps stickers on the football helmets, similar to those p6 stickers on the AAC teams. Maybe a patch sewn onto jerseys, or painted into corners on the court.. something to get people talking anyway. But the emphasis rightfully should be Old Dominion or ODU, thats the school, thats who the teams represent first.

I recently read the news where Nauticus was charging $ 7.57 and thought it was a good idea to represent the local. It kind of touched my heart too with that 757 thingy. I think 757 brand is better known brand IMO locally when trying to represent 'patriotic' and also out of state for athletes or sports enthusiasts.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2018 11:04 PM by xxxoduxxx.)
01-11-2018 11:00 PM
GhentFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU VT OkSt MN
P7(57) Stickers!
01-11-2018 11:07 PM
Cyniclone Online
All American

I Root For: ODU and VCU
While I like 757 as a branding idea in general, I think it runs contrary to ODU's ambitions to be a known quantity throughout the state and region. There's nothing wrong with hometown pride, but embrace it too hard and you're reinforcing the local commuter school stigma that they've been trying to shake for years.

I think VCU does a pretty good job at straddling the line by celebrating how interwoven they are with the city of Richmond without going so far that they're not "the Richmond school for Richmond kids". "757" at center court is a bridge too far.
01-12-2018 12:00 AM

odu83alumni Offline
1st String

I Root For: odu
Only if Verizon wants to give us a pile of money, otherwise we are way more than a 757.
01-12-2018 06:58 AM
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Let's work on improving the quality of the product first. Then, we can look at the branding.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
01-12-2018 07:06 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Truly bad idea.
01-12-2018 07:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.