Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What Ifs of Allignment? GT and Tulane remain in the SEC
Fighting Muskie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio St, MAC
What Ifs of Allignment? GT and Tulane remain in the SEC
Has anyone ever wondered where realignment would have been had GT and Tulane not left the SEC in the '60's?

The SEC would not have needed Arkansas and South Carolina in the early 90's to go to 12 and start a conference game.

If Arkansas stays in the SWC I think they get Baylor's spot when the Big 12 forms sending Baylor to either C-USA or the WAC.

if GT never goes to the ACC then things look a little bleaker for that conference when they lose South Carolina in '72. Does Florida St join a 7 member basketball league in the early 90's or do they join Big East football along with South Carolina and Miami?

Maybe it's the ACC that gets torn apart in the 2000s.
01-10-2018 05:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
RE: What Ifs of Allignment? GT and Tulane remain in the SEC
(01-10-2018 05:35 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  If Arkansas stays in the SWC

... then maybe Broyles goes back to pestering his contacts in the Big 8 and gets Arkansas an invitation to that conference even before they add the Texas schools.

(01-10-2018 05:35 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  if GT never goes to the ACC then things look a little bleaker for that conference when they lose South Carolina in '72.

Don't think so. It took the ACC six years after South Carolina left to add GT anyway, so it's not as if they were panicking. The ACC could have added both Florida State and Miami at around the time they actually added FSU.
01-10-2018 06:31 PM
solohawks Online
Heisman

I Root For: UNCW
In the long run the ACC and the SEC swapped Ga Tech and South Carolina so not much would have changed
01-10-2018 06:40 PM
TrueBlueDrew Online
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
From an academic and location perspective, I think GT is a much better fit in a conference with Miami, Duke, NC State, and Wake Forest than the SEC. I think Vandy and FSU should swap places to be honest.
01-10-2018 07:02 PM

chargeradio Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(01-10-2018 06:40 PM)solohawks Wrote:  In the long run the ACC and the SEC swapped Ga Tech and South Carolina so not much would have changed

Would the SEC have taken South Carolina instead of Missouri as #14?
01-10-2018 07:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
solohawks Online
Heisman

I Root For: UNCW
(01-10-2018 07:18 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  
(01-10-2018 06:40 PM)solohawks Wrote:  In the long run the ACC and the SEC swapped Ga Tech and South Carolina so not much would have changed

Would the SEC have taken South Carolina instead of Missouri as #14?

The ACC would have taken SC back if GA Tech had never left the SEC. Also Arkansas would be in the Big 12 with the Texas schools as SEC only went to 12 to get a championship game. Big 12 probably would have went to 14 to make room for Arkansas. One other SWC school would have gotten to tag along. My guess would be Houston
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2018 07:42 PM by solohawks.)
01-10-2018 07:39 PM
Erictelevision Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Does the Pony Excess scandal still happen in this timeline? Because if so, the SWC still has a 2 year window of messed up scheduling. Arkansas used that as a smokescreen to jump to the SEC.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2018 07:50 PM by Erictelevision.)
01-10-2018 07:48 PM

_C2_ Offline
The King of Overanalysis

I Root For: Houston
(01-10-2018 05:35 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Has anyone ever wondered where realignment would have been had GT and Tulane not left the SEC in the '60's?

The SEC would not have needed Arkansas and South Carolina in the early 90's to go to 12 and start a conference game.

If Arkansas stays in the SWC I think they get Baylor's spot when the Big 12 forms sending Baylor to either C-USA or the WAC.

if GT never goes to the ACC then things look a little bleaker for that conference when they lose South Carolina in '72. Does Florida St join a 7 member basketball league in the early 90's or do they join Big East football along with South Carolina and Miami?

Arkansas would get Texas Tech's spot if anything.
01-10-2018 07:55 PM
_C2_ Offline
The King of Overanalysis

I Root For: Houston
(01-10-2018 07:48 PM)Erictelevision Wrote:  Does the Pony Excess scandal still happen in this timeline? Because if so, the SWC still has a 2 year window of messed up scheduling. Arkansas used that as a smokescreen to jump to the SEC.

They did so because the SWC was a sinking ship.
01-10-2018 08:01 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio St, MAC
(01-10-2018 07:55 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(01-10-2018 05:35 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Has anyone ever wondered where realignment would have been had GT and Tulane not left the SEC in the '60's?

Arkansas would get Texas Tech's spot if anything.

I don't think so. I think their was a pressure from the statehouse to keep the state schools together. Remember E. Gordon Gee and the "Tech" problem?
01-10-2018 08:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.