WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Andre Rison's kid
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
Andre Rison's kid
Kid is leaving MSU, and looking at new schools, including MAC schools according to the old man. Was a highly rated receiver out of high school, with three years of eligibility. Don't know if this is a case of another meddling dad, or an attitude/entitlement problem, but likely worth a look. WMU has a pretty good record of successful receivers over the years.

What say you all?
01-09-2018 09:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

brovol Offline
Heisman

RE: Andre Rison's kid
01-09-2018 09:09 AM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
After last fall's game in East Lansing, isn't he "Darius Phillips' kid?"
01-09-2018 09:25 AM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

I Root For: WMU
(01-09-2018 09:25 AM)GullLake Wrote:  After last fall's game in East Lansing, isn't he "Darius Phillips' kid?"

Rimshot YES!!!
01-09-2018 09:44 AM
ColinApocalypse Offline

(01-09-2018 09:25 AM)GullLake Wrote:  After last fall's game in East Lansing, isn't he "Darius Phillips' kid?"

Ohhh snap!!
01-09-2018 09:46 AM
tayle's mullet Offline
1st String

We should definitely be talking to him. Could wind up being a dominant receiver in the MAC and we need playmakers. He'd have to sit out a redshirt year and then have three years of eligibility?
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2018 10:51 AM by tayle's mullet.)
01-09-2018 10:48 AM
Advertisement

Nacho Offline
Heisman

Case of the Meddling Dad. He would have been the #3 WR at MSU his sophomore year and then #1 or #2 his Junior and Senior year getting. He would be a good get for WMU.
01-09-2018 10:53 AM
RunningGame Offline
All American

We need a go-to option in our receiving corps, whether Watson/Esk. can do that, Arnett/Sanders, or someone else like this kid.
01-09-2018 11:34 AM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I think we already have some very talented and capable receivers on the team, but if we have a scholarship to offer, I assume this Rison kid would have been a huge recruit had he come here last year (4-star guy), and unless it is determined that he comes with baggage, why wouldn't we want him? His dad says they are considering all schools, from the SEC to the MAC (not sure if he thinks the MAC is the lowest option), so WMU, as a state school close to home, with better facilities, academics and program than the other Michigan MAC schools, you would think we would be considered at least. That might come down to team needs and the coaches though. Lester so far has been pretty good at convincing kids to come here.
01-09-2018 11:44 AM
okgc Offline
Heisman

Quote:Andre Rison said his son is “too talented to just waste a freshman year” and could have redshirted if he was not going to be used more,......
"Case of the Meddling Dad"
From here it looks like the kid & dad could not handle Hunter was the 2nd best Frosh WR.

Quote:Cody White emerged as MSU’s No. 3 receiver and set a school record for a true freshman (490 yards, with four TDs in 35 catches)
01-09-2018 12:36 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
Every Dad is going to think they’re Lavar Ball II.

Can’t see a lot of coaches wanting to add this headache. Might be a good fit at Retread U in Mt Pleasant. Lord knows Bono can barely recruit to fill his roster, troubled retreads are a solid option.

While I have no idea how a slappy would know this. According to one slappy, current retread Pee Wee Pimplton is “friends” with Lavar II’s kid.

While we’re at it, the current back up QBs at GA and BAMA, are ready to become Retread Free Agents.
01-09-2018 02:35 PM
Advertisement

GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
If young man, or woman, wants to transfer to WMU from another school/program, I am fine with that. Choosing a college is a difficult choice and mistakes are often made.

That said, if it becomes a principle strategy in an athletic program's recruiting process - like it has at CMU under Bonamego - that is a problem because it is covering-up a more significant problem, the inability to recruit well.

Young Mr. Rison may or may not be a good fit at WMU, and there could be multiple reasons why he left (remember the sordid off-field issues MSU had that have been pushed aside once the season - and winning - began) MSU. Maybe he wants a program with a better culture?

Who knows? I don't. But wish the kid the best.
01-09-2018 02:55 PM
broncofan1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Broncos
(01-09-2018 02:35 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  Every Dad is going to think they’re Lavar Ball II.

Can’t see a lot of coaches wanting to add this headache. Might be a good fit at Retread U in Mt Pleasant. Lord knows Bono can barely recruit to fill his roster, troubled retreads are a solid option.

While I have no idea how a slappy would know this. According to one slappy, current retread Pee Wee Pimplton is “friends” with Lavar II’s kid.

While we’re at it, the current back up QBs at GA and BAMA, are ready to become Retread Free Agents.

The Georgia kid looks like he's off to Washington.
01-09-2018 04:13 PM
Stampede your face!! Offline
All American

We don't want transfers...except for all the kids that have transferred here.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2018 04:37 PM by Stampede your face!!.)
01-09-2018 04:36 PM
All American

(01-09-2018 11:44 AM)brovol Wrote:  I think we already have some very talented and capable receivers on the team, but if we have a scholarship to offer, I assume this Rison kid would have been a huge recruit had he come here last year (4-star guy), and unless it is determined that he comes with baggage, why wouldn't we want him? His dad says they are considering all schools, from the SEC to the MAC (not sure if he thinks the MAC is the lowest option), so WMU, as a state school close to home, with better facilities, academics and program than the other Michigan MAC schools, you would think we would be considered at least. That might come down to team needs and the coaches though. Lester so far has been pretty good at convincing kids to come here.

The MAC for football is the lowest option. Though, he certainly would be on the field here.
01-09-2018 04:40 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(01-09-2018 04:36 PM)Stampede your face!! Wrote:  We don't want transfers...except for all the kids that have transferred here.

I count 4 in 6 years.

Ash- 5th year. Produced

Ferguson- Mostly a special teams guy, spent a brief stint as a productive safety his senior year.

Rutgers transfer, came after a RS freshmen year.

Purdue TE- Not even sure he’s on scholarship.

Clark- Not a transfer. Deemed an injury risk at Cuse, and not cleared to play again. He was simply back on the market.
01-09-2018 05:23 PM
Advertisement

All American

(01-09-2018 05:23 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  
(01-09-2018 04:36 PM)Stampede your face!! Wrote:  We don't want transfers...except for all the kids that have transferred here.

I count 4 in 6 years.

Ash- 5th year. Produced

Ferguson- Mostly a special teams guy, spent a brief stint as a productive safety his senior year.

Rutgers transfer, came after a RS freshmen year.

Purdue TE- Not even sure he’s on scholarship.

Clark- Not a transfer. Deemed an injury risk at Cuse, and not cleared to play again. He was simply back on the market.

Rucker. Elliot Oldham, Carrington Thompson, Mussat, Ian Thomas, Evan Winston, Kyle Knapp.

Now, I realize that some of these guys didn't play, some didn't contribute at all, but we did accept them as transfers.

I don't know what the big deal is. If the coaching staff feels a transfer can help, then I'm all for it. It's about wins. Some help some don't, but all coaches and teams at our level take the chance on transfers.
01-09-2018 09:08 PM
BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

I was driving thru Lansing last year and a local station was interviewing Rison regarding his kid. I think he turned down some MAC and G5 schools because he felt his talent level was P5. Andre said his kid intended to work his way up the ranks at MSU to gain scholarship status. Sounds like he ended up 4th/5th string. He might be D2/FCS talent. Not sure what he would bring to WMU. Our WR corps despite the 6-6 season is deeper than given credit. Mostly freshman/Soph redshirt based. Remember, Thompson and Henry were 3rd/4th string when Davis and Braverman played together.
01-10-2018 01:27 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(01-10-2018 01:27 PM)BuickBronco Wrote:  I was driving thru Lansing last year and a local station was interviewing Rison regarding his kid. I think he turned down some MAC and G5 schools because he felt his talent level was P5. Andre said his kid intended to work his way up the ranks at MSU to gain scholarship status. Sounds like he ended up 4th/5th string. He might be D2/FCS talent. Not sure what he would bring to WMU. Our WR corps despite the 6-6 season is deeper than given credit. Mostly freshman/Soph redshirt based. Remember, Thompson and Henry were 3rd/4th string when Davis and Braverman played together.

Think you are confusing him with someone else. Rison was a four star recruit and definitely on scholarship. In fact, he played enough as a freshman (all 12 games) to catch about 20 passes.
01-10-2018 03:07 PM
okgc Offline
Heisman

FWIW- Rivals sheet on Hunter shows he had 21 D1 scholarship offers when he committed to MSU in high school. 4 Star recruit
01-10-2018 03:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.