Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dems and Gun Control: Finally Get a Win
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
Dems and Gun Control: Finally Get a Win
Well, actually... foiled again!

It seems the Dems wanted to show how easy it is to bypass gun control laws by purchasing online.

Dem-ordered study to expose illegal online gun sales backfires

Quote:A Democrat-backed study meant to expose illicit online gun sales instead seemed to show the opposite -- with hardly any sellers taking the bait when undercover investigators tried to set up dozens of illegal firearm transactions.

Quote:Over the course of the two-and-a-half year investigation, agents tried to buy firearms illegally on the “Surface Web” and the “Dark Web,” generally by sharing their status as “prohibited individuals” or trying to buy across state lines.

But the GAO revealed that their 72 attempts outside of the dark web were all “unsuccessful.”

Quote:On the dark web, GAO agents successfully purchased two guns illegally, as the serial numbers on the weapons were “obliterated” and “shipped across state lines.” But in the attempt to purchase, the GAO agents “did not disclose any information indicating they were prohibited from possessing a firearm.”

Actually, it's the NRA that got the win...

Quote:The National Rifle Association seized on the report to claim that online sales are in fact regulated, calling the study an "embarrassment" for the gun control lobby.

Thanks, Dems, for proving our point.
01-08-2018 03:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
RE: Dems and Gun Control: Finally Get a Win
I've never heard any one say that the trouble with guns are online sales.

What I HAVE heard is the "gun show loop hole".
01-08-2018 03:32 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(01-08-2018 03:32 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  I've never heard any one say that the trouble with guns are online sales.

Just out of curiosity-

1) how many gun shows have you attended?
2) how many guns did you attempt to purchase at a show?
01-08-2018 03:43 PM
Redwingtom Online
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
Quote:“Private sellers on Surface Web gun forums and in classified ads were unwilling to sell a firearm to our agents that self-identified as being prohibited from possessing a firearm,

Really...the premise is that buyers are going online and telling the sellers they aren't allowed to buy guns...but then expecting to actually still buy them?

Why would anyone expect this to replicate a real-world scenario? If the potential buyers knew they weren't allowed to buy them, they would have lied, not told the truth. Or they simply would have looked elsewhere.

So bottom line, this study was worthless and a waste of time and money. It was never going to prove anything illegal.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018 03:52 PM by Redwingtom.)
01-08-2018 03:44 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(01-08-2018 03:43 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  
(01-08-2018 03:32 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  I've never heard any one say that the trouble with guns are online sales.

Just out of curiosity-

What part of "what I have heard" don't you understand?
01-08-2018 03:49 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(01-08-2018 03:44 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Why would anyone expect this to replicate a real-world scenario? If the potential buyers knew they weren't allowed to buy them, they would have lied, not told the truth.

Right? Why, it’s almost as if criminals will go above and beyond what the law tries to prevent them from doing…

07-coffee3
01-08-2018 03:52 PM
Advertisement

MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2018 03:49 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  

Just out of curiosity-

so your answer to both is 0
01-08-2018 03:59 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(01-08-2018 03:44 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
Quote:“Private sellers on Surface Web gun forums and in classified ads were unwilling to sell a firearm to our agents that self-identified as being prohibited from possessing a firearm,

Really...the premise is that buyers are going online and telling the sellers they aren't allowed to buy guns...but then expecting to actually still buy them?

Why would anyone expect this to replicate a real-world scenario? If the potential buyers knew they weren't allowed to buy them, they would have lied, not told the truth. Or they simply would have looked elsewhere.

So bottom line, this study was worthless and a waste of time and money. It was never going to prove anything illegal.

Ask the Dems. It was at their request.
01-08-2018 04:06 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(01-08-2018 03:59 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  

Just out of curiosity-

That's right. I have never attended a gun show or attempted to purchase a gun illegally.

That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.
01-08-2018 04:07 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2018 04:07 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  

Just out of curiosity-

That's right. I have never attended a gun show or attempted to purchase a gun illegally.

how do you feel about voter fraud? I mean, you've never committed it and never seen it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Correct?

I'm sure you'll reply to "stay on topic" but I'm just trying to understand how you left wing kooks do the mental gymnastics you do jumping back & forth from one side to the other depending on topic.
01-08-2018 04:12 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(01-08-2018 04:12 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  
(01-08-2018 03:43 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  Just out of curiosity-

how do you feel about voter fraud? I mean, you've never committed it and never seen it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Correct?

I'm sure you'll reply to "stay on topic" but I'm just trying to understand how you left wing kooks do the mental gymnastics you do jumping back & forth from one side to the other depending on topic.

No lets stay on topic. How often does voter fraud occur and how often does illegal guns get bought and sold and what are the consequences of each?

And just for the record. I have never been against voter I.D. and I am a gun owner but please continue. 07-coffee3
01-08-2018 04:14 PM
Advertisement

MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2018 04:14 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  No lets stay on topic. How often does voter fraud occur and how often does illegal guns get bought and sold and what are the consequences of each?

according to liberals, voter fraud doesn't exist and gun show purchases are rampant.
01-08-2018 04:22 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
I’ve bought several guns on line due to being able to save a bunch of $$ or to get a model I can’t find locally. After I pay for them they all get shipped to my local FFL dealer who I then pay $25 to run my background check by the FBI. When approved, I get to take them home. Any deviation from a that is a federal crime. Liberals act like there are loopholes here...their aren’t unless you are a criminal.
01-08-2018 04:32 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(01-08-2018 04:22 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  
(01-08-2018 04:14 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  No lets stay on topic. How often does voter fraud occur and how often does illegal guns get bought and sold and what are the consequences of each?

according to liberals, voter fraud doesn't exist and gun show purchases are rampant.

I'm not asking liberals I'm asking you. Why are you dodging the question?

Here I'll make it easy for you.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that voter fraud and illegal gun purchases are exactly the same.

What are the consequences of each and what should be done about it?
01-08-2018 04:33 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(01-08-2018 04:14 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  No lets stay on topic. How often does voter fraud occur

We don't know, and we have no way of knowing without some detection mechanism. As for the consequences, every person who voted legally is to at least some extent, and quite possibly a great extent, disenfranchised.

Quote:
and how often does illegal guns get bought and sold and what are the consequences of each?

Apparently, not as often as some would have us believe.
01-08-2018 04:41 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators

Just out of curiosity-

You answered the wrong question, goober. He didn’t ask if you had attempted to purchase a gun illegally. He asked if you had purchased a gun at a gun show. That’s legal if you meet the basic requirements for possession and purchase.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018 04:46 PM by rath v2.0.)
01-08-2018 04:43 PM
Advertisement

Redwingtom Online
Progressive filth

(01-08-2018 04:22 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  

according to liberals, voter fraud doesn't exist...

B U L L S H I T.

How much longer are you and your ilk going to keep putting out this lie? You'd think you'd stop by now...if you ever wanted to be taken seriously here. But that's just me I guess. 03-zzz
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018 05:00 PM by Redwingtom.)
01-08-2018 05:00 PM
Redwingtom Online
Progressive filth

(01-08-2018 04:06 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  
(01-08-2018 03:44 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

Ask the Dems. It was at their request.

Psst...that's what I just did.
01-08-2018 05:01 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

Just out of curiosity-

Don't feed the dishonest troll.

https://www.npr.org/sections/alltechcons...click-away

Quote:Omar Mateen, the Orlando mass shooter, used semi-automatic weapons. So did the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooter, the San Bernardino killers, and at least 70 percent of shooters listed in a database of all mass shootings in America since 1982 compiled by Mother Jones.

Our data analysis shows that semiautomatic weapons comprised at least 1 in 4 firearms listed on Armslist in the days following the Orlando shootings.

Those shooters acquired their firearms in a variety of ways, and there's no evidence that any of them used Armslist. But this site, and others like it, are coming under increased scrutiny by law enforcement, gun control advocates, and researchers as debate over access to these kinds of weapons heats up.

In October, New York City's Department of Consumer Affairs subpoenaed Armslist for transaction and advertising records. "Through this investigation into Armslist, DCA is stepping up and doing its part to keep our city safer for every New Yorker — civilians and officers alike," NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio said at the time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/05/us/po...-days.html

Quote:The changes are particularly meant for online gun merchants, who often avoid conducting background checks despite making high-volume gun sales through websites like armslist.com.

“Right now it’s really an Internet loophole,” Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch said Monday. “Gun sales are moving online.”

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the...ety-reform

Quote:The problem is some gun sellers have been operating under a different set of rules. A violent felon can buy the exact same weapon over the Internet with no background check, no questions asked.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powe...27ab3012cd

Quote:Senate Democrats plan to unveil a list of gun control principles on Thursday that they plan to use as the foundation for sweeping gun control legislation.

The three-part proposal — spearheaded by Senate Democratic Policy and Communications Center Chairman Chuck Schumer (N.Y.) and Debbie Stabenow (Mich.) — includes closing background check loopholes for Internet and gun show sales, expanding the background check database and cracking down on the illegal gun market, according to a letter to Senate colleagues obtained by The Washington Post.

So if the troll claims he's never heard anyone talk about online gun sales he's either stupid or lying. I'll let you decide which.
01-08-2018 05:05 PM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
Buy a gun at a gun store, online or at a gun show and you are still required to fill out Form 4473 BATF Firearms Transaction Record. And you are also required to undergo a background check.
01-08-2018 05:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.