Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Front Page of The Grand Rapids Press: GVSU Has Overtaken WMU
Bookmark and Share
Bronco'14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Front Page of The Grand Rapids Press: GVSU Has Overtaken WMU
Anyone else see this?

Can't find it on mLive's website, even under the author's article. Apparently she covers a lot of Kalamazoo / WMU events.

Basically the article says how GVSU's enrollment as increased 250% while WMU's has dropped. GVSU is at 22,906 students, WMU at 19,632.

"Newer facilities and student perception may be among reasons GVSU's enrollment surpassed Westerns."

A Grand Valley student recalls talk when he was a senior in high school "GVSU was perceived to be more prestigious."

"Perceptions aside both GVSU and WMU have an 82% acceptance rate. By comparison UofM accepts 29% of applicants."

Article goes on to say WMU is ranked alongside Michigan Tech, Michigan, and Michigan St, whereas GVSU is ranked along with Saginaw Valley St and Ferris St.

WMU official says "We don't really lose that many students to GVSU. It's a myth. We lose more students to Michigan St. GVSU is a very different type of experience."

"Of those students accepted at both WMU and another school, 11% go to MSU, 7% go to GVSU."

--------------

What pisses me off this article is on the front page of The Grand Rapids Press. It's bull**** but at least after showing the numbers, the article does try to pump up WMU more.

Also, can't say I entirely disagree with the article's theories: I live in Grand Rapids and went to school at Western: there does seem to be more of a pride for being a Laker in Grand Rapids than a Bronco in Kalamazoo.
01-07-2018 05:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Bronco'14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU Broncos
RE: Front Page of The Grand Rapids Press: GVSU Has Overtaken WMU
No doubt in my mind GVSU's perception has increased which has therefore increased their overall enrollment because their football team consistently wins. This is well-documented across schools across the nation: win in either football or basketball and you're overall perception goes way up.
01-07-2018 05:49 PM
ColinApocalypse Online

I Root For: WMU
GVSU is the "hip" new school to go to, that's the vibe with college kids these days.

When I was in HS on the east side of the state, I think more kids from my school went to GVSU than WMU. I was the only one in my class to go to WMU right out of HS. For whatever reason, I think they do a better job marketing themselves to kids.

GVSU is the big fish in a small pond in sports and that gives them an air of dominance, which translates into a marketing push.

The truth of the matter is that the 4 best "big" schools in the state are Michigan, Michigan State, Michigan Tech and Western Michigan. In that order.

GVSU has more students, but a third of the endowment of WMU. They're a bloated liberal arts school, with a crazy undergrad to postgrad ratio. Despite having a larger overall enrollment, GVSU has far fewer postgraduates. USNWR classifies them as a "regional university", along with schools like U-D Mercy, Lawrence Tech, Ferris, Northern, Siena Heights, Davenport, SVSU. Meanwhile, U-M, MSU, WMU, CMU, EMU, Tech, Wayne State, and Oakland are considered "national universities".

Maybe kids in Grand Rapids do see GVSU in a better light. But the rest of the country doesn't.

It makes me think that it has to do with GVSU not actually being in Grand Rapids. Kalamazoo kids aren't crazy about going to WMU. Mt. Pleasant kids don't like CMU. The girl that lived across the hall from me my freshman year was from Mt. Pleasant and she said everyone that goes to high school there can't wait to get out of that city, and they really don't like Central. But since GVSU is a 20 minute drive from GR, maybe that's far enough away so that the school/city aren't clashing too much? I don't know...just a theory.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 06:46 PM by ColinApocalypse.)
01-07-2018 06:27 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

GVSU is more like a solid 30 minutes from downtown Grand Rapids. You’re literally going through about 4 towns (GR, Standale, Walker, Allendale) and a dozen or so traffic lights to get there, even if it’s 45-55 MPH after the halfway point.

Also, if we’re calling it “overtaken” solely based on enrollment then Notre Dame is in big trouble. Ridiculous simpleton measurement.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 08:03 PM by Hoekjeness.)
01-07-2018 08:02 PM

ColinApocalypse Online

Yeah, enrollment is a really dumb measuring stick. Doesn't Rice have like 4,000 students? And that's a fantastic school. The military academies have even less than that.
01-07-2018 08:40 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/inde...parin.html

Quote:He chose to attend Grand Valley. The "nice, new and vibrant" campus in Allendale and its "safe and welcoming atmosphere" drove his decision.

Lynn Blue, GVSU's vice president for enrollment management, said a university needs to consider every aspect of the college experience to attract and retain students. The campus must be "clean and safe," she said, and the faculty and staff "bright and well paid."

I rarely throw this card around, but sure sounds like 'code' for something...
07-coffee3
01-07-2018 08:52 PM
ColinApocalypse Online

(01-07-2018 08:52 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/inde...parin.html

Quote:He chose to attend Grand Valley. The "nice, new and vibrant" campus in Allendale and its "safe and welcoming atmosphere" drove his decision.

Lynn Blue, GVSU's vice president for enrollment management, said a university needs to consider every aspect of the college experience to attract and retain students. The campus must be "clean and safe," she said, and the faculty and staff "bright and well paid."

I rarely throw this card around, but sure sounds like 'code' for something...
07-coffee3

Mmhmmm.

Especially if you know the GR crowd.
01-07-2018 09:01 PM

ColinApocalypse Online

Grand Rapids is also the only part of the state that has seen substantial growth over the past 20 years, and because of sheer proximity that may be fueling GVSU's growth
01-07-2018 09:11 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(01-07-2018 08:40 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  Yeah, enrollment is a really dumb measuring stick. Doesn't Rice have like 4,000 students? And that's a fantastic school. The military academies have even less than that.

Pretty sure Ohio State and Central Florida would be considered the Top 2 universities in the nation.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 09:35 PM by Hoekjeness.)
01-07-2018 09:33 PM
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

Grand Valley is great for kids who want to stay instate after graduation....so is WMU, and that is just fine. But I'd bet my bottom dollar there are more WMU grads around the country than there are GVSU grads. It's not like attending a Big 14 school but you're still exposed to people from all over the nation for the aviation program and a few other programs as well.

I don't believe I'd be living where I am and doing what I do now having attended GVSU.
01-07-2018 10:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.