Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FCS Championship Game 2018 - JMU vs NDSU
Bookmark and Share
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
FCS Championship Game 2018 - JMU vs NDSU
Much better game, atmosphere, attendance, et al today than the vast majority of those FBS bowl games that were played in virtually empty stadiums challenging the camera crews to the limit. How can money possibly be made by the little schools with this system? What kind of payouts do these little bowls offer the teams to come and play?
01-06-2018 03:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

MTBuc Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU
RE: FCS Championship Game 2018 - JMU vs NDSU
Yeah but the sad thing is that both of those schools, especially JMU, lust for the FBS and the chance to play in one of those nothing bowl games. If you're not a power 5 school the best you can do is get a participation trophy like UCF basically got for their undefeated season.
01-06-2018 04:03 PM
etsubuc Online
All American

Both of you are exactly right. I just don't see the appeal of making the move to FBS as far as football goes.

For basketball, we would be on "real" TV more often if we were in a bigger conference but that is about the only appeal there. That is an area that the SoCon has really dropped the ball the past several years where other similar conferences receive much better exposure.
01-06-2018 05:55 PM
BucDoctor Online
1st String

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
Unless moving to a P5, there is little advantage to playing FBS football.
01-06-2018 06:20 PM

brock20 Offline
1st String

(01-06-2018 06:20 PM)BucDoctor Wrote:  Unless moving to a P5, there is little advantage to playing FBS football.

I’m starting to come around to this thinking but I still would like to be in the same conference as App and Marshall again some day.
01-06-2018 07:00 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(01-06-2018 06:20 PM)BucDoctor Wrote:  Unless moving to a P5, there is little advantage to playing FBS football.

Perception is reality. With all these move-ups and the dilution of the non-P5 conferences, the average college football fan sees the Power 5 as major college football and ALL the rest as small college football, with some varying exceptions. Try explaining all the NCAA football classifications, especially the FBS bowl set up with this strange playoff system of bowls and the rest of the other bowls and how all that works. Then, toss in the playoff system of FCS, ( try explaining the difference between NCAA Division I FBS and FCS) DII, and DIII. Is it convoluted or what?
01-07-2018 09:12 AM
prosec34 Offline
Bench Warmer

I'd far rather remain at a level where I could aim to play at that atmosphere in Texas than to play in the Toilet Bowl on December 20.
01-08-2018 01:27 PM

MTBuc Offline
Bench Warmer

What's not to love about spending the days leading up to Christmas in a half empty decrepit stadium in a decaying Alabama city? Appalachian State fans seem content to do that in perpetuity or at least until they get that ACC invite.
01-08-2018 02:12 PM
Buc76 Offline
Bench Warmer

Appy's bowl payout....1,500,000

JMU bowl payout. ......200,000

Plus there were four other Sun Belt teams playing in a bowl game. Appy got a share of those monies.

Sun Belt football teams get twice as much money to play the big boy money games.

Sorry guys, Appy is much better off playing in FBS than FCS.

Wish we could move to Sun Belt. The Bucs would be playing in a division with Appy, Ga. So., GA.ST., Coastal CAR. Troy, etc.

Even though the Sun Belt is last in FBS ratings, they are moving closer to the other nonpower 5.

Better football and basketball schedules, better OCC games, better attendance, more money, tv games, possible bowl appearances. I would take the Sun Belt conference over SoCon if I had the choice. There's no comparison IMO.
01-08-2018 05:18 PM
BucDoctor Online
1st String

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
(01-08-2018 05:18 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  Appy's bowl payout....1,500,000

JMU bowl payout. ......200,000

Plus there were four other Sun Belt teams playing in a bowl game. Appy got a share of those monies.

Sun Belt football teams get twice as much money to play the big boy money games.

Sorry guys, Appy is much better off playing in FBS than FCS.

Wish we could move to Sun Belt. The Bucs would be playing in a division with Appy, Ga. So., GA.ST., Coastal CAR. Troy, etc.

Even though the Sun Belt is last in FBS ratings, they are moving closer to the other nonpower 5.

Better football and basketball schedules, better OCC games, better attendance, more money, tv games, possible bowl appearances. I would take the Sun Belt conference over SoCon if I had the choice. There's no comparison IMO.

And that money is all eaten up in increased travel costs for every sport they play. Doesn't net much at all.

There is the P5 and then everyone else.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018 06:14 PM by BucDoctor.)
01-08-2018 06:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.