Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

6 Team Playoff?
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
6 Team Playoff?
ive heard numerous arguments on why the playoff shouldn't expand and all those reasons can be solved with a 6 team playoffs

no expansion reasons:
-length of season issue (player concerns, multiple semester concerns)
-preserving "the best regular season in sports"
-every game matter in college

expansion pros:
- not accessible to all teams, 50% of fbs teams have ZERO percent chance at a title
-4 seeds/5 power conferences

proposed system
6 at-larges spots, with a caveat that if a g5 is a conference champion and is in the top 17 they get an auto spot (no 2 loss g5 has ever been ranked that high)

top 2 seeds get a first round bye..
this would actually dramatically amplify the regular season, in the current system as long as you are in the top 4 it doesn't matter to anyone where you are seeded (you made it). the debate is just who is at 4... in a 6 team playoff your seeding actually matters, as the top 2 get first round byes & the 3rd seed likely goes against a g5, there a huge advantages to your seeding.. the debate is 1 through 6. every game and every schedule matters

EVERY single fbs team has a chance at winning a national title. for every team in college football, every game matters

there will always be 5 free slots, so if a dominant teams comes from every p5 conference, it isnt a beauty contest anymore, everything will be handled on the field

the first round (3v6, 4v5) should be the start of bowl season... that give them a few weeks to recover, also without extending the season...it would also only extended the amount of games for 4 teams (no different than the hawaii exception)

I know someone will say 16 team playoff, or 8 team playoff.. this isnt a debate on what is best of what we think should happen but a compromise i think fits everyone
01-04-2018 08:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
6 Team Playoff?
(01-04-2018 08:56 AM)pesik Wrote:  ive heard numerous arguments on why the playoff shouldn't expand and all those reasons can be solved with a 6 team playoffs

no expansion reasons:

expansion pros:
- not accessible to all teams, 50% of fbs teams have ZERO percent chance at a title

proposed system
6 at-larges spots, with a caveat that if a g5 is a conference champion and is in the top 17 they get an auto spot (no 2 loss g5 has ever been ranked that high)

this would actually dramatically amplify the regular season, in the current system as long as you are in the top 4 it doesn't matter to anyone where you are seeded (you made it). the debate is just who is at 4... in a 6 team playoff your seeding actually matters, as the top 2 get first round byes & the 3rd seed likely goes against a g5, there a huge advantages to your seeding.. the debate is 1 through 6. every game and every schedule matters

EVERY single fbs team has a chance at winning a national title. for every team in college football, every game matters

there will always be 5 free slots, so if a dominant teams comes from every p5 conference, it isnt a beauty contest anymore, everything will be handled on the field

the first round (3v6, 4v5) should be the start of bowl season... that give them a few weeks to recover, also without extending the season...it would also only extended the amount of games for 4 teams (no different than the hawaii exception)

I know someone will say 16 team playoff, or 8 team playoff.. this isnt a debate on what is best of what we think should happen but a compromise i think fits everyone

I think 8 teams is the way to go, but ultimately it wont happen unless the P5 splits from the G5. The P5 will never allow a scenario where a G5 team can make the national championship.

Sent from my Necronomicon using DemonTalk
01-04-2018 08:59 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

RE: 6 Team Playoff?
(01-04-2018 08:59 AM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  I think 8 teams is the way to go, but ultimately it wont happen unless the P5 splits from the G5. The P5 will never allow a scenario where a G5 team can make the national championship.

that was the point of my post, that they have named why they don't want 8, 6 actually works for everyone in what they need
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2018 09:18 AM by pesik.)
01-04-2018 09:18 AM
Wheatshock Offline
Aviation Addict

I Root For: Wichita
(01-04-2018 08:59 AM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  
(01-04-2018 08:56 AM)pesik Wrote:  ive heard numerous arguments on why the playoff shouldn't expand and all those reasons can be solved with a 6 team playoffs

no expansion reasons:

expansion pros:

proposed system

I think 8 teams is the way to go, but ultimately it wont happen unless the P5 splits from the G5. The P5 will never allow a scenario where a G5 team can make the national championship.

I know it won't happen but it should be 16 teams, 10 conference champs and 6 at large. If the FCS can make a 24 team playoff work there's no logical reason why FBS can't do 16.
01-04-2018 09:22 AM
Limebull Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USF/Alabama
If the playoff was expanded to 8 teams, wouldnt that help TV ratings? Why are they so reluctant to do that?
01-04-2018 09:22 AM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

6 Team Playoff?
(01-04-2018 09:18 AM)pesik Wrote:  
(01-04-2018 08:59 AM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  I think 8 teams is the way to go, but ultimately it wont happen unless the P5 splits from the G5. The P5 will never allow a scenario where a G5 team can make the national championship.

that was the point of my post, that they have named why they don't want 8, 6 actually works for everyone in what they need

That the problem it works. The P5 wont allow anything that works for the G5 as well.

01-04-2018 09:23 AM
Advertisement

Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

6 Team Playoff?
(01-04-2018 09:22 AM)Limebull Wrote:  If the playoff was expanded to 8 teams, wouldnt that help TV ratings? Why are they so reluctant to do that?

Because they dont need the ratings and they are more than willing to sacrifice ratings to keep the G5 out.

01-04-2018 09:25 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(01-04-2018 09:22 AM)Wheatshock Wrote:  I know it won't happen but it should be 16 teams, 10 conference champs and 6 at large. If the FCS can make a 24 team playoff work there's no logical reason why FBS can't do 16.

people stating 16 dont realize they are actually hurting the chances for everyone....
they will never put g5 and p5 on equal footing..never, so why make plans

16 will never happen. why would anyone watch a bama regular season games when even with 3 losses they'll still be top 16....you kill the regular season of college football, probably the only regular season where a single loss can change an entire season even for the #1 team

people saying 16 dont realize they are hurting the cause .
when people say 8 (which has a realitic shot at happening)...opposer's response is "when will it stop", 8 now 16 later, 32 after.."there are already people calling for 16"

if we all said 8 and said we only wanted 8, the chance of 8 dramatically increases
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2018 09:36 AM by pesik.)
01-04-2018 09:30 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(01-04-2018 09:22 AM)Limebull Wrote:  If the playoff was expanded to 8 teams, wouldnt that help TV ratings? Why are they so reluctant to do that?

regualr season tv value...playoff and bowls, the conferences only get a portion...regular season is 100% their money straight to their pocket...

their is little room for error in football, so every game has high tv value....the more you expand the playoff the room for error grows, regular season tv value goes down
01-04-2018 09:32 AM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

6 Team Playoff?
(01-04-2018 09:30 AM)pesik Wrote:  
(01-04-2018 09:22 AM)Wheatshock Wrote:  I know it won't happen but it should be 16 teams, 10 conference champs and 6 at large. If the FCS can make a 24 team playoff work there's no logical reason why FBS can't do 16.

people statng 16 realize they are actually hurting the chances for everyone....

16 will never happen. why would anyone watch a bama regular season games when even with 3 losses they'll still be top 16....you kill the regular season of college football, probably the only regular season where a single loss can change at entire season even for the #1 team

16 will never happen. and people saying 16 dont realize they are hurting the cause .
when people say 8 (which has a realitic shot at happening)...their response is "when will it stop", 8 now 16 later, 32 after..there are already people calling for 16

if we all said 8 and said we only wanted 8, the chance of 8 dramatically increases

Here is an interesting idea just do away with regular season entirely and start with a 120 team playoff. Seeding will be based on results from previous season.

01-04-2018 09:33 AM
BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls
I really think they should go to a 8 or 16 team playoff because for me the bowl games are completely uninteresting now. The only games of interest is your schools game and the playoff. Even "marquee matchups" like Wisconsin vs Miami or USc vs osu was barely watchable for me.
01-04-2018 09:43 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

no expansion reasons:

expansion pros:

proposed system

No G 5 will ever again crack the top 18.

EVERY p5 deserves a chance.. outsiders not welcomed.

We could have compromised by losing to AU. then we would be quality losers like the NIT finalist.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2018 10:01 AM by goodknightfl.)
01-04-2018 10:01 AM
Wheatshock Offline
Aviation Addict

I Root For: Wichita

people stating 16 dont realize they are actually hurting the chances for everyone....

16 will never happen. why would anyone watch a bama regular season games when even with 3 losses they'll still be top 16....you kill the regular season of college football, probably the only regular season where a single loss can change an entire season even for the #1 team

when people say 8 (which has a realitic shot at happening)...opposer's response is "when will it stop", 8 now 16 later, 32 after.."there are already people calling for 16"

Did you even bother too read my post? I said "I know it won't happen" but you happily went down the rabbit trail to tell me why. 03-banghead

Ok so,
Issue 1. P5 won't let it happen.
Solution = NCAA needs to take back the power over football and run the championship process just like they do for every other sport. It's highly unlikely and I hate to give the idiocy of the NCAA yet more power but that's the way it would have to be if you want everybody to have a shot (no matter how slim) at a natty.

Issue 2. Regular season won't matter.
The regular season would actually matter more than ever. EVERY team would know that to get in the playoff all they have to do is win their conference regular season title.
01-04-2018 10:06 AM
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
I never heard of competition where ~130 teams compete, playing 12 games each, with up to 9 of those games in conference, and the idea is have a CFP with just 4 teams. When is the last time teams from the SEC play teams from the PAC 12 in regular season? It rarely happens. So how can anyone make a determination of which conference/team is better when such a small sample of OOC games are actually played and rarely played cross country? It's a complete guess who the best teams are based on perception and subjection.
01-04-2018 10:13 AM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

6 Team Playoff?
(01-04-2018 10:13 AM)sfink16 Wrote:  I never heard of competition where ~130 teams compete, playing 12 games each, with up to 9 of those games in conference, and the idea is have a CFP with just 4 teams. When is the last time teams from the SEC play teams from the PAC 12 in regular season? It rarely happens. So how can anyone make a determination of which conference/team is better when such a small sample of OOC games are actually played and rarely played cross country? It's a complete guess who the best teams are based on perception and subjection.

2016 usc vs bama.

01-04-2018 10:19 AM
knightmite Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(01-04-2018 08:59 AM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  

no expansion reasons:

expansion pros:

proposed system

UCF just won the National Championship without their approval. Screw them cockroaches. The playoff system as it stands is a bogus system without hard rules.
01-04-2018 10:22 AM
Advertisement

SublimeKnight Offline
All American

Because they don't want to do it the right way and so it would sacrifice regular season ratings, which is a much bigger inventory/investment.

If they made it 6-8 teams, only conference champions, that would amplify the regular season, but they'd never do that. Plus Notre Dame would obviously never go for it.
01-04-2018 10:25 AM
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(01-04-2018 10:19 AM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  
(01-04-2018 10:13 AM)sfink16 Wrote:  I never heard of competition where ~130 teams compete, playing 12 games each, with up to 9 of those games in conference, and the idea is have a CFP with just 4 teams. When is the last time teams from the SEC play teams from the PAC 12 in regular season? It rarely happens. So how can anyone make a determination of which conference/team is better when such a small sample of OOC games are actually played and rarely played cross country? It's a complete guess who the best teams are based on perception and subjection.

2016 usc vs bama.

As I said, it's rare. There are 13 other teams in the SEC and 11 other teams in the PAC 12. You found one matchup, can you find 10 or even 5 in the last decade? If you can't find at least one per year, I'd say it's rare, making it hard to determine conference/team strength from year to year.
01-04-2018 10:33 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(01-04-2018 10:06 AM)Wheatshock Wrote:  

Did you even bother too read my post? I said "I know it won't happen" but you happily went down the rabbit trail to tell me why. 03-banghead

Ok so,
Issue 1. P5 won't let it happen.
Solution = NCAA needs to take back the power over football and run the championship process just like they do for every other sport. It's highly unlikely and I hate to give the idiocy of the NCAA yet more power but that's the way it would have to be if you want everybody to have a shot (no matter how slim) at a natty.

Issue 2. Regular season won't matter.
The regular season would actually matter more than ever. EVERY team would know that to get in the playoff all they have to do is win their conference regular season title.

your second issue rebuttal is out of touch.
you rebutall adds value to the centrel michigan vs south alabama game, which no one was going to watch even if playoof implications were on the line..

and drastically decreasing value of top 10 vs top 10..win or lose they'll still both be in..
01-04-2018 10:37 AM
knightmite Offline
1st String

The closet thing we have to determining the National Championship is using the transitive property. Imperfect sure...but nothing better.

UCF the Transitive 2017 National Champions!
01-04-2018 10:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.