Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Playoff Committee
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Playoff Committee
Help me understand something. Why did Aresco and the rest of the G4 commissioners agree to the makeup of the CFP committee? This is half the problem. The committee is overloaded with "P so called 5" representatives. The Pac, Big10, Big 12, SEC, and ACC all have an AD on the committee. I don't see an AAC AD on the committee. Why? And why was this agreed to? Of course they are going to have major biases. I am looking at the 13 member committee and the only ones not tied to a "P so called 5" conference are Jeff Bower and Herb Deromedi. Steve Weiberg and Chris Howard might be considered neutral. The other 9 are reps of "P so called 5" conferences. I see the SEC with 2 reps, the ACC with 2 reps and others with ties to P so called 5 conferences. This is inherently unfair. Why on earth would anyone agree to this garbage. No wonder why the committee kept UCF down. The AAC has zero reps and other conferences have 2 or 3. This is extremely bogus and I wonder why this was not fought from the get go. If it wasn't then Aresco failed in that aspect. This has been the overall makeup of the committee from the start of it.

A better way to do this would have been 1 rep from each 10 conferences and 3 neutral reps if you need a 13 member committee.
01-03-2018 10:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ultraviolet Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
RE: Playoff Committee
(01-03-2018 10:36 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Help me understand something. Why did Aresco and the rest of the G4 commissioners agree to the makeup of the CFP committee? This is half the problem. The committee is overloaded with "P so called 5" representatives. The Pac, Big10, Big 12, SEC, and ACC all have an AD on the committee. I don't see an AAC AD on the committee. Why? And why was this agreed to? Of course they are going to have major biases. I am looking at the 13 member committee and the only ones not tied to a "P so called 5" conference are Jeff Bower and Herb Deromedi. Steve Weiberg and Chris Howard might be considered neutral. The other 9 are reps of "P so called 5" conferences. I see the SEC with 2 reps, the ACC with 2 reps and others with ties to P so called 5 conferences. This is inherently unfair. Why on earth would anyone agree to this garbage. No wonder why the committee kept UCF down. The AAC has zero reps and other conferences have 2 or 3. This is extremely bogus and I wonder why this was not fought from the get go. If it wasn't then Aresco failed in that aspect. This has been the overall makeup of the committee from the start of it.

A better way to do this would have been 1 rep from each 10 conferences and 3 neutral reps if you need a 13 member committee.

Do you really think they had much choice?
01-03-2018 10:38 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
We have also never had an AAC Rep on the Basketball Committee.

And it cost us. SMU in 2014 and Temple in 2015.

Pure BS.
01-03-2018 10:41 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-03-2018 10:38 AM)ultraviolet Wrote:  
(01-03-2018 10:36 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Help me understand something. Why did Aresco and the rest of the G4 commissioners agree to the makeup of the CFP committee? This is half the problem. The committee is overloaded with "P so called 5" representatives. The Pac, Big10, Big 12, SEC, and ACC all have an AD on the committee. I don't see an AAC AD on the committee. Why? And why was this agreed to? Of course they are going to have major biases. I am looking at the 13 member committee and the only ones not tied to a "P so called 5" conference are Jeff Bower and Herb Deromedi. Steve Weiberg and Chris Howard might be considered neutral. The other 9 are reps of "P so called 5" conferences. I see the SEC with 2 reps, the ACC with 2 reps and others with ties to P so called 5 conferences. This is inherently unfair. Why on earth would anyone agree to this garbage. No wonder why the committee kept UCF down. The AAC has zero reps and other conferences have 2 or 3. This is extremely bogus and I wonder why this was not fought from the get go. If it wasn't then Aresco failed in that aspect. This has been the overall makeup of the committee from the start of it.

Yes, I do. There are 10 conferences. If 5 vote against something, then it won't pass.
01-03-2018 10:43 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(01-03-2018 10:43 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  

Yes, I do. There are 10 conferences. If 5 vote against something, then it won't pass.

I think the Cartel votes are worth more.
01-03-2018 10:45 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
the original committee had the old big east commish, he was supposed to be "our" rep, even tho he spoke down on everyone in the league not named uconn

when he stepped down they repaced him with a usm coach...
01-03-2018 10:49 AM
Advertisement

SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF

I'd be curious what the mechanics of approving this were. Was it conferences? Was it individual schools? Did the independants like ND and BYU have a vote? Was the composition of the committee agreed upon or was that done after everyone signed?

But to answer the OP... If we didn't sign, UCF and UH don't go to the Peach Bowl.
01-03-2018 10:51 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-03-2018 10:45 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  

I think the Cartel votes are worth more.

In some things yes, such as legislative moves, but this shouldn't be one of them.
01-03-2018 10:52 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

The question remains. Is this fair or is it unfair. Yes or no, is it fair. And if it is not fair, why would anyone agree to it. Even P so called 5 conferences, why would they agree to something that is inherently unfair, knowing that it is unfair. There are certain things called wrong and right, and this is wrong. Period, end of story.
01-03-2018 10:56 AM
fanhood Offline
All American

I Root For: San Diego State
(01-03-2018 10:41 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  We have also never had an AAC Rep on the Basketball Committee.

Pure BS.

Would not have helped. Only wallflowers and pushovers are allowed on that committee. Trust me.
01-03-2018 10:59 AM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(01-03-2018 10:56 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  The question remains. Is this fair or is it unfair. Yes or no, is it fair. And if it is not fair, why would anyone agree to it. Even P so called 5 conferences, why would they agree to something that is inherently unfair, knowing that it is unfair. There are certain things called wrong and right, and this is wrong. Period, end of story.

Money for the "G so called 5".
01-03-2018 11:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Bottom line is Payoff committee got it wrong
01-03-2018 01:06 PM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

(01-03-2018 01:06 PM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Bottom line is Payoff committee got it wrong

If Alabama wins, this will be the second time in recent history, that the "national champion" will have not won their division. Other time was Alabama in 2012.

Can someone explain how you could possibly be the National Champion, when you're not even the best team in your 6-7 team division?
01-03-2018 01:34 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(01-03-2018 01:34 PM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  
(01-03-2018 01:06 PM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Bottom line is Payoff committee got it wrong

If Alabama wins, this will be the second time in recent history, that the "national champion" will have not won their division. Other time was Alabama in 2012.

Can someone explain how you could possibly be the National Champion, when you're not even the best team in your 6-7 team division?

Fake news. Fake Rankings. Fake Championship.
01-03-2018 01:35 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

In the 2013-2014 season, UCONN MBB finished in a 3-way tie for 3rd in the AAC.

Would you prefer only regular season conference champions getting bids to the Big Dance?
01-03-2018 01:45 PM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

(01-03-2018 01:45 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  

In the 2013-2014 season, UCONN MBB finished in a 3-way tie for 3rd in the AAC.

Would you prefer only regular season conference champions getting bids to the Big Dance?

IF there weren't even enough slots in the NCAA MBB tournament for every conference to have an AQ, then definitely YES. A conference champion should never be passed over for an at-large. The champion produced by that tournament is illegitimate when you do that.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2018 01:53 PM by SublimeKnight.)
01-03-2018 01:52 PM
Advertisement

memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
The ONLY way this will ever be fair is for the "playoffs" to expand to 8 teams with the following guidelines for who gets in each year:

1. Conference champion from the so-called P5 conferences.
2. The top rated team from the so-called G5 conferences.
3. Two wildcards.

This is the only way to make sure EVERY team in Division 1 has a chance to compete for a national championship.

Unfortunately, if the "playoffs" ever expand to 8 teams, there will be no provision for the G5. This year told us everything we need to know about the reasons behind the "playoffs." It's all about making sure the big boys hoard even more of the money. If the "playoffs" had 8 teams this year, UCF still would not have come close to getting in.
01-03-2018 02:02 PM
ultraviolet Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(01-03-2018 10:59 AM)fanhood Wrote:  
(01-03-2018 10:41 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  We have also never had an AAC Rep on the Basketball Committee.

Pure BS.

Would not have helped. Only wallflowers and pushovers are allowed on that committee. Trust me.

True words there.
01-03-2018 02:04 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(01-03-2018 02:02 PM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  The ONLY way this will ever be fair is for the "playoffs" to expand to 8 teams with the following guidelines for who gets in each year:

3. Two wildcards.

This is the only way to make sure EVERY team in Division 1 has a chance to compete for a national championship.

Unfortunately, if the "playoffs" ever expand to 8 teams, there will be no provision for the G5. This year told us everything we need to know about the reasons behind the "playoffs." It's all about making sure the big boys hoard even more of the money. If the "playoffs" had 8 teams this year, UCF still would not have come close to getting in.

As you concluded, there is no intention to make selection "fair". The CFP is part of a systematic approach to keep all of the recognition & all of the revenue within the P5. The other major component is to refuse to schedule (some through conference rules) the AAC in H/H games so that they can always claim the AAC plays a weak schedule & is unworthy of consideration.
01-03-2018 03:53 PM
knightmite Offline
1st String

(01-03-2018 03:53 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(01-03-2018 02:02 PM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  The ONLY way this will ever be fair is for the "playoffs" to expand to 8 teams with the following guidelines for who gets in each year:

3. Two wildcards.

As you concluded, there is no intention to make selection "fair". The CFP is part of a systematic approach to keep all of the recognition & all of the revenue within the P5. The other major component is to refuse to schedule (some through conference rules) the AAC in H/H games so that they can always claim the AAC plays a weak schedule & is unworthy of consideration.

Sure sounds like racketeering to me. 05-nono05-nono
01-04-2018 01:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.