Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

C-USA Stock Recommendations: Football
Bookmark and Share
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tech
C-USA Stock Recommendations: Football
Buy, Sell, Hold based on 2017's results, coaching changes, returning players etc.

Here are my picks:

UAB: Buy, Bowl game disappointment but still amazing what they've accomplished since breathing life into their football program once again.

Charlotte: Until there are changes from the top down, this one should be listed on the pink sheets at best, a pump and dump candidate at best.

FIU: Buy, though the qb'ing situation needs close monitoring

FAU: Strong buy

Louisiana Tech: Hold, no spectacular gains expected soon but a solid dividend payer year-in, year-out, and a great bonus always paid with the bowl appearance.

Marshall: Waffling between buy and hold. Started strong, hit a really rough spot near the end, but showed well in the bowl game.

MTSU: Hold

North Texas: Buy, even that crappy finish can't tarnish what they accomplished this past year

ODU: I'm selling this one and using the funds to buy more FAU

Rice: Speculative, but a buy. I think their new head coach will make a difference because he comes from a successful P5 with high academic standards. Invest money you can afford to lose just in case this one goes south.

Southern Miss: Hold

UTEP: Sell, can't wrap my brain around that coaching hire.

UTSA: Buy, I believe they're on the upswing.

Western Kentucky: Sell, this one needs new management in the worst way.
01-01-2018 04:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tintin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: C-USA Stock Recommendations: Football
I buy big on Charlotte, just because I think we are a fundamentally good "company" that poor management has run into the ground. A lot of problems that we have are unique to our absolute incompetent athletic director and football coach. I thought all AD's didn't communicate to their alumni or their football coach didn't recruit to a area within 20 miles of the campus that produces 100+ scholarship athletes a year.
Think Bank of America in 2009. We'll be good one day despite the shackles.
01-01-2018 06:00 PM
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

(01-01-2018 06:00 PM)Tintin Wrote:  I buy big on Charlotte, just because I think we are a fundamentally good "company" that poor management has run into the ground. A lot of problems that we have are unique to our absolute incompetent athletic director and football coach. I thought all AD's didn't communicate to their alumni or their football coach didn't recruit to a area within 20 miles of the campus that produces 100+ scholarship athletes a year.
Think Bank of America in 2009. We'll be good one day despite the shackles.

Tintin, you're letting emotion rule your wallet and that's not good. Having said that, you nailed the problem, management.....and not just the AD and football coach, but the school president as well who doesn't seem to understand the value of athletics to the university.

Location, tradition (at least in basketball), and potential audience are all in place. Not sure what your facilities look like, but until you rid yourself of at least the AD and football coach, I don't see how things improve in football.
01-01-2018 06:11 PM
goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
I think Charlotte is a good bet mainly because they can not do much worse.
01-01-2018 06:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

(01-01-2018 06:42 PM)goliath74 Wrote:  I think Charlotte is a good bet mainly because they can not do much worse.

Assume you meant can't do much worse, which is correct, they can't.

The problem is timing. Time is money, especially with money invested. Buying Charlotte is a good bet when blood is running in the streets. To date, management seems to be comfy. Not a good time to buy IMHO.
01-01-2018 06:47 PM
topper1296 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
(01-01-2018 04:27 PM)TechRocks Wrote:  Buy, Sell, Hold based on 2017's results, coaching changes, returning players etc.

I'm not sold on the new coach yet and especially some of his staff, however WKU did pull in it's highest rated recruiting class ever and the transition to a new coaching staff/system is never easy. I'd hold WKU for now until more information comes out.
01-01-2018 07:33 PM
Advertisement

TechRocks Offline
Heisman

(01-01-2018 07:33 PM)topper1296 Wrote:  
(01-01-2018 04:27 PM)TechRocks Wrote:  Buy, Sell, Hold based on 2017's results, coaching changes, returning players etc.

I'm not sold on the new coach yet and especially some of his staff, however WKU did pull in it's highest rated recruiting class ever and the transition to a new coaching staff/system is never easy. I'd hold WKU for now until more information comes out.

Yeah, I was harder on you guys than I should have been. That bowl loss to GaState really stung.
01-01-2018 07:41 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
I'll take a stab at this.

FAU: Buy, Kiffin signed a long tern contract. I doubt he stays for the duration of it, but he will be there next season. Of course with him a scandal could always break out.

FIU: Buy, Davis is building that program the right way. What a great recruiting class this year. FIU should be a solid bowl team in 2018, but I'm mostly buying for 2019 and after, when I think they could be fighting for the conference title.

North Texas: Buy, In fact, I'd buy the entire athletic department right now. Every UNT Program is preforming better under our new AD. But, we still need better defense.

MTSU: Buy, MT finished 4-1 after Stock returned from injury, and Stock returns for his senior year in 2018. I think they have the best chance of challenging FAU for the East.

UAB: Buy, great first season back from the dead. Clark is a solid coach.

Louisiana Tech: Hold, the Dawgs seem to be regressing, but still expect them to be a good bowl team next year.

Southern Miss: Hold, I don't think USM has their QB of the future right now, but they should be a good bowl team.

ODU: Hold, 2017 saw a big drop off from their 2016 10 win season, but I think they could be a .500 team in 2018.

Western Kentucky: Sell, Finished the year by losing 5 of there last 6 games, and only beat the lower preforming teams in C-USA. Although they signed a great recruiting class I don't see enough to change their direction next season.

Marshall: Sell, Yes they won their bowl game but the finished the season 2-4, and their recruiting class was ranked 13th in C-USA.

Rice: Sell, I like the hire, but I think Rice will need a season or two before they become competitive in the West.

UTSA: Sell, Lots of changes on their coaches staff. Some needed to go, and some were poached away. I don't think Wilson can hit on all of those new hires.

UTEP: Sell! Don't like the coaching hire, and right now they don't appear to have a recruiting class. I think they need immediate help in almost every area.

Charlotte: Sell!!! What a mess. Their coach should have been shown the door like Kugler and Bailiff. Now I feel their AD needs to go too.
01-01-2018 08:58 PM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
FAU-buy 2019 will be excellent
FIU-hold 2019 will be fair
NT-buy 2019 will be good
MT-hold 2019 will be fair
UAB-hold 2019 will be good
La Tech-buy 2019 will be good
USM-hold 2019 will be fair
ODU-hold 2019 will be fair
WKU-sell 2019 will be fair
Marshall-hold 2019 will be fair
Rice-sell 2019 will be poor
UTSA-hold 2019 will be fair
UTEP-sell 2019 will be poor
Charlotte-sell 2019 will be poor
01-02-2018 04:41 AM
goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
(01-02-2018 04:41 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  FAU-buy 2019 will be excellent
FIU-hold 2019 will be fair
NT-buy 2019 will be good
MT-hold 2019 will be fair
UAB-hold 2019 will be good
La Tech-buy 2019 will be good
USM-hold 2019 will be fair
ODU-hold 2019 will be fair
WKU-sell 2019 will be fair
Marshall-hold 2019 will be fair
Rice-sell 2019 will be poor
UTSA-hold 2019 will be fair
UTEP-sell 2019 will be poor
Charlotte-sell 2019 will be poor

What about 2018?
01-02-2018 07:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
va-eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
FAU-buy; i'll be selling quick come end of 2018 season
FIU-buy; this is also a short-term investment. will sell in 2 years to keep from losing arse
NT-buy; stock is low and trending up
MT-hold;
UAB-hold; let's remember this is UAB. granted surprising season, but this is the program with 4 winning seasons since 2000, best finish being 7 wins.
La Tech-hold;
USM-hold; still didn't find Mullen's replacement and now need to find Ito replacement.
ODU-sell; with FAU and FIU now being losses, I don't see ODU making a bowl next season.
WKU-sell; good coach had them winning. new coaching staff has them now average team at best. stock is trending down at this time.
Marshall-hold
Rice-hold
UTSA-hold; a lot of coaching shuffle.
UTEP-sell
Charlotte-sell; will never be a good investment while Panthers are in Charlotte. Fans would rather watch a crappy Tar Heel product on TV, then purchase the Panther ticket.
01-02-2018 08:35 AM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(01-02-2018 08:35 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  ODU-sell; with FAU and FIU now being losses, I don't see ODU making a bowl next season.

ODU beat FIU this season with a 17 y-o QB and a team struggling with injuries to starters throughout the lineup. While next year, FIU will be in breaking in a new QB. So, not sure how that one is an auto-loss now.
01-02-2018 09:05 AM
herdfifteen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: uncw
FAU buy
FIU hold
NT sell stock overvalued this year
MT buy conference champs this year
UAB sell
ODU hold
WKU hold
MAR hold
Rice sell
USTA hold
UTEP sell
Charlotte sell
La Tech buy on the move to potential
USM buy
01-02-2018 09:14 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
FAU - buy and sell when the credible rumor mill fires up
FIU - I'll buy short term (See above)
NT - Sell (their close wins at home last year are road games this year)
MT - I'll hold on for now
UAB - Buy but not invest huge
ODU - hold
WKU - hold
MAR - with 19 starters returning and a new OC, I'm buying
Rice - sell
USTA - hold
UTEP - sell
Charlotte - sell
La Tech - buy
USM - buy
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2018 09:58 AM by THUNDERStruck73.)
01-02-2018 09:43 AM
wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(01-02-2018 08:35 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  Charlotte-sell; will never be a good investment while Judy Rose is their AD.

FTFY since you don't know what you are talking about.
01-02-2018 09:52 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(01-02-2018 09:52 AM)wh49er Wrote:  Charlotte-sell; will never be a good investment while Judy Rose is their AD.

^ Much more plausible reason.
01-02-2018 09:59 AM
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(01-02-2018 09:05 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(01-02-2018 08:35 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  ODU-sell; with FAU and FIU now being losses, I don't see ODU making a bowl next season.

ODU beat FIU this season with a 17 y-o QB and a team struggling with injuries to starters throughout the lineup. While next year, FIU will be in breaking in a new QB. So, not sure how that one is an auto-loss now.

Didn't FIU just landed several 4* guys and a bunch of 3*s? CUSA east is looking very tough for the next 3 or 4 seasons. ODU will be a better team next year, and is on the upswing. The problem for us is the F_Us are no longer pushovers. Adding them as contenders, along with WKU, Marshall and MTSU makes it pretty hard for ODU to get 5 conference wins and a bowl. With us playing multiple P5s in the OOC, it will be necessary to get 5 or 6 conference wins for post season. Bottom line, ODU needs to improve recruiting significantly to compete in the east.
01-02-2018 10:03 AM
SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
I'm as realistic as most fans but if I were playing for future payoff in 2018, I'd rate the Herd as a buy. 19 starters coming back with many others having tons of game minutes. We get FAU and MT at home. FAU beat us because we had 4 INT's that game. Eliminate those and we win.

That said, FAU and WKU would warrant strong buys for me.
01-02-2018 10:11 AM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
Out of curiosity, why would anyone "sell" Rice football stock at this moment? We cannot go any lower than where we've been the past two seasons...finally got rid of Bailiff, and hired a very highly regarded Bloomgren from Stanford, where he was Assistant Head Coach, offensive coordinator and OL coach? Also, most of the team is returning-- including our deep contingent of RBs.

Now, I'm not expecting Rice to be a serious contender in the West next year, but if the new coaching staff can impose much-needed discipline, and improve execution even a little bit, we should improve from a 1 win team to a 5 - 6 win team next season.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2018 10:26 AM by waltgreenberg.)
01-02-2018 10:16 AM
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

(01-02-2018 10:16 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Out of curiosity, why would anyone "sell" Rice football stock at this moment? We cannot go any lower than where we've been the past two seasons...finally got rid of Bailiff, and hired a very highly regarded Bloomgren from Stanford, where he was Assistant Head Coach, offensive coordinator and OL coach?

Some investors like to buy high and sell low. LOL

Seriously, the only reason to sell a position in Rice right now would be if you believed it would take them at least a couple of years to get their act together and you wished to invest in a program that you were confident would bring great returns, aka FAU. I listed Rice as speculative-buy because we just don't know yet if or, how quickly, the new hire can turn things around. I think he was a great hire for that program.
01-02-2018 10:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.