Open TigerLinks

Calkins weighs in..... “recruiting matters”
Bookmark and Share
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Calkins weighs in..... “recruiting matters”
http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sp...989734001/

Ouch. It’s hard to be optimistic when there’s no four or five star players on the way.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 10:37 AM by Joe1.)
12-29-2017 10:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: Calkins weighs in..... “recruiting matters”
There are outliers (Marshall and Stevens come to mind), but the concept of "coaching up" substituting for talent in achieving success is deeply flawed. It is like running nags in the Kentucky Derby and expecting to win.
12-29-2017 10:40 AM
stratecashomie Offline
Feelin' Blue

I Root For: Memphis
Forget 4 or 5 star players. We literally have one guy on the way. With a team that has clear and glaring deficiencies
12-29-2017 10:41 AM
jgardne Offline
Heisman

(12-29-2017 10:41 AM)stratecashomie Wrote:  Forget 4 or 5 star players. We literally have one guy on the way. With a team that has clear and glaring deficiencies

You assume Ouachita isn't going to swoop in at the last second and steal him.
12-29-2017 10:42 AM
Dylan Offline
All American

I Root For:
the crazy thing about the coach em up thing is that it's literally never happened at Memphis. Every successful team we've ever had included highly ranked players...
12-29-2017 10:44 AM
poppaslaw Offline
Social Credit Score - 0

I Root For: CHY-NAH

Donators
(12-29-2017 10:40 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  There are outliers (Marshall and Stevens come to mind), but the concept of "coaching up" substituting for talent in achieving success is deeply flawed. It is like running nags in the Kentucky Derby and expecting to win.

|
|
|
V
Advertisement

HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm just as pissed at him running off talent as I am him refusing to recruit new talent.
Dylan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-29-2017 10:40 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  There are outliers (Marshall and Stevens come to mind), but the concept of "coaching up" substituting for talent in achieving success is deeply flawed. It is like running nags in the Kentucky Derby and expecting to win.

They had NBA players on all those teams.
12-29-2017 10:45 AM
TigerBo Offline
All American

(12-29-2017 10:35 AM)Joe1 Wrote:  http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sp...989734001/

Ouch. It’s hard to be optimistic when there’s no four or five star players on the way.

Calkins nails it... again. It's not rocket science folks.
12-29-2017 10:46 AM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

(12-29-2017 10:41 AM)stratecashomie Wrote:  Forget 4 or 5 star players. We literally have one guy on the way. With a team that has clear and glaring deficiencies

I get your point, but mine was this...if we had a four and a five star coming in with project skyscraper, I could take the loss to LSU on my home floor and the barley scraping by against Mercer and Samford and Son.
12-29-2017 10:46 AM
Dylan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-29-2017 10:46 AM)Joe1 Wrote:  

I get your point, but mine was this...if we had a four and a five star coming in with project skyscraper, I could take the loss to LSU on my home floor and the barley scraping by against Mercer and Samford and Son.

we played the best we could possibly play in that first half and were tied with a team on our home floor that won't make the NIT this year. It's not like that team is loaded with talent, they have 2 top 100 guys. We didn't even look like we belonged on the floor with them in the second half...
12-29-2017 10:49 AM
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(12-29-2017 10:45 AM)Dylan Wrote:  

They had NBA players on all those teams.

You are right. I fell victim to perception rather than reality. Thank you for the correction.
12-29-2017 10:50 AM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

Hiring Tubby was a colossal mistake and every year past this year that he remains head coach is compounding on that mistake.
12-29-2017 10:51 AM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

(12-29-2017 10:49 AM)Dylan Wrote:  

we played the best we could possibly play in that first half and were tied with a team on our home floor that won't make the NIT this year. It's not like that team is loaded with talent, they have 2 top 100 guys. We didn't even look like we belonged on the floor with them in the second half...

I agree with that mostly. I mean LSU might get an nit bid, but your post has nothing to do with what I was saying.

I could take losing if we knew some damn good players were on the way. But they aren’t. So thus, this situation sucks. He isn’t getting the job done on the recruiting trail and he’s had plenty of time. There are no excuses. Period.
12-29-2017 10:55 AM
chrisd11 Offline
I came to party!!

I Root For: short skirts

Exactly right. At one point just before the half we were shooting 50% from the floor, 44% from three, outrebounding them 19-11 and we were still down 1. We were playing as good as we could possibly play and were still losing on our home floor to the projected 14th best team in the SEC.
12-29-2017 11:02 AM
TigerBo Offline
All American

I don't think we could have made a worse hire, especially with what is being paid out. This is more ridiculous than GT taking Pastner off our hands. If a coach making 3M per can't keep attendance up enough to attain attendance bonus he should be gone. The depths they're letting the program fall is absurd, with little or no hope in sight.
12-29-2017 11:04 AM
Advertisement

HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

The best HS basketball team in the country is 5 minutes from campus and we aren't gonna land a damn one of em. THINK ABOUT THAT!!

We have an RPI WELL into the 100s, we are scraping by the likes of friggin' Mercer and Samford and we have ONE 3-star, sub-250 recruit signed on for next year with absolutely no momentum for the 2019 class when we will be replacing 6 roster spots!

The Tubby Smith hire has been an absolute failure from a W/L perspective and on the recruiting trail, yet he has a KING's contract!! He's robbing the University.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2017 11:07 AM by HometownTiger.)
12-29-2017 11:06 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(12-29-2017 11:04 AM)TigerBo Wrote:  

I don't think we could have made a worse hire, especially with what is being paid out. This is more ridiculous than GT taking Pastner off our hands. If a coach making 3M per can't keep attendance up enough to attain attendance bonus he should be gone. The depths they're letting the program fall is absurd, with little or no hope in sight.

Respectfully, there is hope for our program (IMO), but I agree there is little evidence for hope while Tubby is at the helm.
12-29-2017 11:07 AM
Dylan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-29-2017 10:55 AM)Joe1 Wrote:  

I agree with that mostly. I mean LSU might get an nit bid, but your post has nothing to do with what I was saying.

I could take losing if we knew some damn good players were on the way. But they aren’t. So thus, this situation sucks. He isn’t getting the job done on the recruiting trail and he’s had plenty of time. There are no excuses. Period.

I was merely piling on what you were saying...it's maddening to listen to him talk about how we have to make shots and that we need shooters...like, dude, you are the person responsible for that.

And yes, if this was all freshmen and we had a bunch on the way, that's one thing. Like Larry's 93-94 team that was waiting on Lorenzen and depended on Garner and Henderson as freshmen.
12-29-2017 11:14 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(12-29-2017 11:06 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  The best HS basketball team in the country is 5 minutes from campus and we aren't gonna land a damn one of em. THINK ABOUT THAT!!

We have an RPI WELL into the 100s, we are scraping by the likes of friggin' Mercer and Samford and we have ONE 3-star, sub-250 recruit signed on for next year with absolutely no momentum for the 2019 class when we will be replacing 6 roster spots[b]!

The Tubby Smith hire has been an absolute failure from a W/L perspective and on the recruiting trail, yet he has a KING's contract!! He's robbing the University.

And still Tubby does nothing to correct the recruiting problems.
12-29-2017 11:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.