Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Nate Woody to Georgia Tech?
Bookmark and Share
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Nate Woody to Georgia Tech?
Some Tech fans seem to think he is going to be replace their DC Ted Roof that just left for NC State.
12-26-2017 09:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
RE: Nate Woody to Georgia Tech?
He’s a good one, would App then look to keep Sloan...
12-26-2017 09:50 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

Siri, who is Wofford's current defensive coordinator.
12-26-2017 10:17 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(12-26-2017 09:50 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  He’s a good one, would App then look to keep Sloan...

Y’all would owe us a pretty penny. That ink has dried.
12-26-2017 10:22 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

Buyout for assistant coaches - can’t be that expensive.
12-26-2017 10:55 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(12-26-2017 10:55 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Buyout for assistant coaches - can’t be that expensive.

It's still going to run you probably 250K since its that early in the contract. Throw in the obvious raise you'd have to offer, and I see it as unlikely
12-26-2017 11:40 PM
Advertisement

hapapp Online
Special Teams

I doubt Sloan would return. Doesn't seem his style. I would guess he was aware of the rumors before he left.
12-27-2017 05:41 AM
NewJersey GATA Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
(12-27-2017 05:41 AM)hapapp Wrote:  I doubt Sloan would return. Doesn't seem his style. I would guess he was aware of the rumors before he left.

The possibility of Nate Woody leaving was always a possibility because App State has produced excellent defenses consistently.

As for Sloan, I think the opportunity to be DC at Southern also gave him the opportunity of more freedom to .......
1. Have more insight to his defensive staff assistants
2. Sometimes you get tired of a place. App State looks like a well run program, unfortunately coaches and family like a change of scenery and a new challenge.
3. It was also a guaranteed thing to make more $$$$$$.
12-27-2017 06:28 AM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

This has been going on for several weeks. If Woody leaves Sloan won't be back. The issue is finding someone who runs a 3-4 with the skill set we have been recruiting. No coach worth his salt is ever caught flat footed. I'm sure Satterfield has already been reaching out to potential replacements. We'll be fine.
12-27-2017 08:10 AM
APPrising Offline
1st String

It will be good experience for him to get before he comes back to replace Satterfield as HC when he is pried away.
12-27-2017 09:30 AM
JTApps1 Offline
1st String

(12-27-2017 06:28 AM)NewJersey GATA Wrote:  
(12-27-2017 05:41 AM)hapapp Wrote:  I doubt Sloan would return. Doesn't seem his style. I would guess he was aware of the rumors before he left.

The possibility of Nate Woody leaving was always a possibility because App State has produced excellent defenses consistently.

As for Sloan, I think the opportunity to be DC at Southern also gave him the opportunity of more freedom to .......
2. Sometimes you get tired of a place. App State looks like a well run program, unfortunately coaches and family like a change of scenery and a new challenge.

Sloan didn't leave because he was ready for a change of scenery. He and his wife love App and Boone ,but he couldn't pass up a chance to be a DC under a head coach he has a good relationship with. If he had a choice to be the DC at App or move to GS he would still be in Boone. Not saying GS is a bad job, but he wouldn't have had any reason to leave App in that scenario.
12-27-2017 11:26 AM
Advertisement

Eagle22 Offline
Special Teams

As a program, it is ALWAYS better to be in a position of getting poached and at least having a chance to defend from losing a coach. Obviously Georgia Southern hasn't been in that situation for the last two years.

You also can NEVER underestimate anyone's desire or willingness to move on to new challenges even when they are seemingly entrenched in sheer happiness and showering in constant contentment with their current situation.

I say this in general terms but clearly Appalachian State has been a more stable "model" than Georgia Southern since we both left the SoCon, at least in football. But it is hardly a shock as GS in now on our 3rd head coach while Appalachian has maintained that core of their staff.

It will be an interesting subplot to an always interesting story, to watch the transition of both teams as they navigate this next set of changes, whatever they end up being.
12-27-2017 12:47 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(12-27-2017 11:26 AM)JTApps1 Wrote:  
(12-27-2017 06:28 AM)NewJersey GATA Wrote:  

Sloan didn't leave because he was ready for a change of scenery. He and his wife love App and Boone ,but he couldn't pass up a chance to be a DC under a head coach he has a good relationship with. If he had a choice to be the DC at App or move to GS he would still be in Boone. Not saying GS is a bad job, but he wouldn't have had any reason to leave App in that scenario.

I don't think it will be much of a change of scenery for them since they were at Georgia Southern prior to taking a job at App. I still think he would have a pretty good reason, namely the money. Sloan was getting paid $140,000 at App according to USAToday. Woody is paid $220,000 according to the same article. Sloan will be paid $250,000 at GS. Not saying the money is everything but it could be the cherry on top of a perfect fit for Sloan.
12-27-2017 12:57 PM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

(12-27-2017 12:47 PM)Eagle22 Wrote:  ...clearly Appalachian State has been a more stable "model" than Georgia Southern since we both left the SoCon.

App has been insanely fortunate in that regard. I don't pretend to know the whole stories but Monken and Fritz were both excellent coaches and two of the best at running the option offense. So of course they were highly sought after (and Monken is CRUSHING IT at Army). That is the plight of the FCS and G5 schools though. Revolving door for good up and coming coaches.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2017 02:16 PM by APPdiesel.)
12-27-2017 02:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NewJersey GATA Offline
1st String

(12-27-2017 02:14 PM)APPdiesel Wrote:  
(12-27-2017 12:47 PM)Eagle22 Wrote:  ...clearly Appalachian State has been a more stable "model" than Georgia Southern since we both left the SoCon.

App has been insanely fortunate in that regard. I don't pretend to know the whole stories but Monken and Fritz were both excellent coaches and two of the best at running the option offense. So of course they were highly sought after (and Monken is CRUSHING IT at Army). That is the plight of the FCS and G5 schools though. Revolving door for good up and coming coaches.

The door will continue to revolve as long as success follows the program. Unfortunately there is no way to defend it with SBC budget unless you try to follow the Arkansas State model of coaching contracts (at least for HC).

Fortunately Southern was able to poach an elite Co Defensive Coordinator away from a powerful SBC program. Hopefully if Sloan can resemble success like Woody had at the helm then Southern will have a lot of wins under their belt.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2017 02:55 PM by NewJersey GATA.)
12-27-2017 02:31 PM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

(12-27-2017 09:30 AM)APPrising Wrote:  It will be good experience for him to get before he comes back to replace Satterfield as HC when he is pried away.
Woody is a nice guy and obviously has a sharp defensive mind, but imo not the social skills to be a HC.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using CSNbbs mobile app
12-27-2017 02:37 PM
Advertisement

T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

Since becoming head coach, Satt has had to replace very few asssistants. I believe it's been seven in five years.

In fact. Woody was his first hire.
12-27-2017 03:23 PM
eaglewraith Online
Heisman

12-27-2017 03:31 PM
GATA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

He gone
12-27-2017 04:12 PM
Oldyeller Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
All this commingling is making me feel dirty. GS former and current staff poaching crAppy does bring a tingle up my leg. Sloan needs to grab one or two more just for funzies.
12-27-2017 06:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.