Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will the Mountain West ditch ESPN and go all-digital for sports broadcasts?
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Will the Mountain West ditch ESPN and go all-digital for sports broadcasts?
Interesting speculation...

12-19-2017 09:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
RE: Will the Mountain West ditch ESPN and go all-digital for sports broadcasts?
(12-19-2017 09:06 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Interesting speculation...

I have no doubt they'll reject ESPN. Stadium is going to be a big player for us not only for streaming but also for TV. Must be some good info about the games the MW streamed besides having bettter game times.
I do think they'll have a another network in play perhaps NBC or Fox unless in the next 2 years Stadium has some big growth.

The MW has never shyed away from doing something different and risk taking.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2017 09:31 PM by MWC Tex.)
12-19-2017 09:12 PM
bullet Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
The WAC network failed so miserably that 8 of them left to form the MWC (or was it the Mountain West network failed so badly they lost BYU and TCU-would have lost Utah anyway).

Too early to stream. They will be forgotten. They've had a bad couple of years where the AAC has significantly outpaced them and they are basically even with MAC and CUSA. They have big advantages over those schools, but that will be lost if nobody sees them.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2017 10:29 PM by bullet.)
12-19-2017 09:35 PM
bullet Online
Hall of Famer

They don't need to accept an ESPN offer, but they need Fox or CBS if they refuse them.
12-19-2017 09:36 PM

bullet Online
Hall of Famer

It will be interesting to see how the MAC does over the next 10 years, having sold their soul to ESPN for T & W night TV appearances.

Does the visibility help them? Or do the T & W night games kill their programs since fans don't show up anymore?
12-19-2017 09:38 PM
Attackcoog Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(12-19-2017 09:06 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Interesting speculation...

Its not really speculation. Thompson has basically said they are looking at doing that if they dont get a sizable raise from ESPN. Essentially, their schools have studied the issue and believe they are better off catering to the fans in the stadium (kick off times that maximize attendance and in stadium income) than catering to a TV deal that provides minimal income.
12-19-2017 09:59 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
As far as stream quality goes. Stadium is head and shoulders better than watch espn.
12-19-2017 10:13 PM

DavidSt Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ATU, P7
There was an article about the MWC meeting that the MWC are working on a deal with ESPN right now. ESPN did buy the Fox sports regional for the West Coast. ESPN does need a regional out there. Since PAC 12 already have their Network? I do think ESPN might give the MWC a Network with BYU in the deal and UTEP. Gonzaga could be there for all sports but football to make it an even 14 schools for basketball. This could actually move Boise State into the west when UTEP and BYU joins.

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/12/15/mo...owl-games/

It is all speculations right now what will happen. But, there is word that the bowl oversight committee will do some over haul on who gets in a bowl in the future. PAC 12 at times failed to get their allotment of teams in them.
12-20-2017 06:46 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: The Heels
I seem to remember the WAC (or was it the PCC) being the only late night games on years ago, and they were highlighted. I don’t remember if it was a certain day of the week or what. Maybe like Friday night hoops, but it was awesome and they got exposure. I feel like the MWC is definitely lacking.
12-20-2017 09:43 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(12-20-2017 06:46 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  There was an article about the MWC meeting that the MWC are working on a deal with ESPN right now. ESPN did buy the Fox sports regional for the West Coast. ESPN does need a regional out there. Since PAC 12 already have their Network? I do think ESPN might give the MWC a Network with BYU in the deal and UTEP. Gonzaga could be there for all sports but football to make it an even 14 schools for basketball. This could actually move Boise State into the west when UTEP and BYU joins.

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/12/15/mo...owl-games/

It is all speculations right now what will happen. But, there is word that the bowl oversight committee will do some over haul on who gets in a bowl in the future. PAC 12 at times failed to get their allotment of teams in them.

That's not talking about the Conference TV deal but the bowls that ESPN owns and the MW bowls associated with that. The MW isn't working on a TV deal with ESPN.
Also, the RSN's that ESPN received doesn't do much for the MW as the AT&T/Root RSN's are in the majority of the MW footprint.

However, from the article, the deputy commissioner did state there will be a tweak to the bowls system where the number of bowls a conference can be tied to will be related to the 4 year average of the number of bowl eligible teams.
12-20-2017 10:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.