Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Savanah St., Copping St., Cleveland St., Ark-Pine Bluff
Bookmark and Share
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
Savanah St., Copping St., Cleveland St., Ark-Pine Bluff
Combined record of 3-39, and 3 if those teams have 300+RPI. Someone really needs to talk to Mick or Bohn about trying to avoid these teams if at all possible. I see no benefit to playing them.

12-18-2017 06:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
RE: Savanah St., Copping St., Cleveland St., Ark-Pine Bluff
(12-18-2017 06:57 AM)jarr Wrote:  Combined record of 3-39, and 3 if those teams have 300+RPI. Someone really needs to talk to Mick or Bohn about trying to avoid these teams if at all possible. I see no benefit to playing them.

My biggest Mick pet peave. You have to do better with buy games. Get creative. Use computer protections to figure out who is likely to be top 200 rpi and play those teams. They are goimg yo cost themselves aseedline at least

12-18-2017 07:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
3-39? Good lord... those players don't deserve that.

12-18-2017 07:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MercerCo_BearCat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Did we take the money we normally give to buy games and put it towards BB&T?

12-18-2017 08:00 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(12-18-2017 08:00 AM)MercerCo_BearCat Wrote:  Did we take the money we normally give to buy games and put it towards BB&T?

That's my guess. The TV commentators earlier this season were saying the facility charge is $20,000.00 per game. Probably much more when you consider shuttling the team, equipment, floor setup, etc. Then add the cost of bus transportation for students. No question, the November/December home schedule has been pretty awful. If cost is the issue, I'm a little more understanding of the decision in view of the incredible investment in big ticket items for basketball and football the past five years.

12-18-2017 08:12 AM
GameTime_21 Offline
Doing My Thing Covering The Cats

I Root For: UC
Part cost and part only having a small and specific number of open dates to work with...

12-18-2017 08:15 AM
Advertisement

Bearcat01 Offline
Special Teams

i think mick was just trying to bless a couple HBCUs. It may be something his players asked for or was promised

12-18-2017 08:20 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(12-18-2017 06:57 AM)jarr Wrote:  Combined record of 3-39, and 3 if those teams have 300+RPI. Someone really needs to talk to Mick or Bohn about trying to avoid these teams if at all possible. I see no benefit to playing them.

People can write bigger checks to correct this.

This is an athletic department that is $40 million in the hole for funding the 5th 3rd rehab. Difference in scheduling a Savannah State buy game versus a Valpo buy game is upwards of $100K a game.

12-18-2017 08:26 AM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
I would t care about the quality of these lesser opponents if they would just play less of them and instead do some home and homes with middling P5 schools.

12-18-2017 08:44 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(12-18-2017 08:15 AM)GameTime_21 Wrote:  Part cost and part only having a small and specific number of open dates to work with...

Great catch--two D1 programs scheduling the same facility for a full season is problematic. And NKU, rightly, would have first pick of dates.

12-18-2017 08:46 AM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
The AD and staff need to be smarter than to schedule these types of buy games. Play at Wright State on weekend which would allow UC fans to travel up there. Better RPI game and then you probably get in return a home next year against a regional team that which is better than most of our buy teams. Take a chance with a home and home this season WKU or Marshall.

I just can't understand why UC needed to play six buy home games plus one exhibition game with only one game played on a weekend. This was the year to play five non-conference home games. Miss State and four buy games. Just playing so-so teams like Wright State and Toledo would have improved non-conference schedule, saved the team a seed line, and set the program up for future high level non-conference buy level home games against regional opponents. I am not saying UC needs to be Temple, no buy games only four non-conference home games but rather UConn and Wichita State who play solid regional buy games mixed in with high profile non-conference opponents.

12-18-2017 09:17 AM
Advertisement

Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-18-2017 07:41 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

My biggest Mick pet peave. You have to do better with buy games. Get creative. Use computer protections to figure out who is likely to be top 200 rpi and play those teams. They are goimg yo cost themselves aseedline at least

One of Huggs' assistants ( I can't remember which one) was a master at that. He would schedule smaller programs with good RPI's. That's why Huggs' teams always finished with high RPI's every year, but when you sat back and looked at their schedule, it never looked too incredibly tough. I think when Mick took over and they got into the BE, they got spoiled because the BE schedule was enough to boost their RPI. There was never a need to find the better buy games. They haven't adjusted well since being in the AAC.

12-18-2017 09:24 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
(12-18-2017 09:24 AM)Cat-Man Wrote:  
(12-18-2017 07:41 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

One of Huggs' assistants ( I can't remember which one) was a master at that. He would schedule smaller programs with good RPI's. That's why Huggs' teams always finished with high RPI's every year, but when you sat back and looked at their schedule, it never looked too incredibly tough. I think when Mick took over and they got into the BE, they got spoiled because the BE schedule was enough to boost their RPI. There was never a need to find the better buy games. They haven't adjusted well since being in the AAC.

They all were good at it.

Andy Kennedy has made a living off of it at Ole Miss Of course, he loses to those smaller teams too often which is why they play in the NIT most years.

12-18-2017 09:33 AM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
The real problem here is the fact that people use metrics like the RPI to rate teams.

If UC plays Savannah St or Cal St Northridge the result of the game is going to be the same .... a blowout. But yet those two teams are 150 rpi spots apart.

So how does it make sense to say one team is significantly better than another based on this?

12-18-2017 10:00 AM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-18-2017 08:26 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

People can write bigger checks to correct this.

This is an athletic department that is $40 million in the hole for funding the 5th 3rd rehab. Difference in scheduling a Savannah State buy game versus a Valpo buy game is upwards of $100K a game.

So it's a money thing? I get that to some extent I guess, as you always see Duke and UK with better buy games against Ivy, Horizon, and MAC schools. But still, look at the SOS and schedule in the 2002-2003 season. That team was in CUSA still and yet they figured away to get a top 5 SOS that year which was the reason they ended up an 8 seed despite only 17 wins. Not one team on that schedule was over 200 on the RPI and only 5 games over 150. Truly genius the way they were able to put that schedule together.
collegerpi

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2017 10:49 AM by jarr.)
12-18-2017 10:49 AM
JPBearcat3 Offline
we'll do the rest, boys

I Root For: #BearcatNation
I thought Chad answered this above already?

12-18-2017 11:04 AM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Just in terms of RPI, below are the current rankings of our OOC schedule. Someone with more time will have to verify but I believe Mick has scheduled weaker OOC teams as a whole in past years.

13 X
54 Miss. St.
62 Florida
65 Wyoming
71 Buffalo
112 UCLA
186 W. Carolina
209 Sav. St.
260 Richmond
303 Coppin St.
322 Clev. St.
333 Ala. St.
350 Ark. PB

12-18-2017 11:54 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Yep. And for the reason I stated this has been (and may continue to be) an issue for this program no matter who is doing the scheduling.

And while true road games against MAC teams is a great idea, lose the ticket, ad, and concessions revenue from these buy games and an athletic department that is living off of credit cards in the form of subsidies in the mid 40%s and you have an even worse financial situation.

New arena revenue may change all of this, however.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2017 12:00 PM by rath v2.0.)
12-18-2017 12:00 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(12-18-2017 12:00 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Yep. And for the reason I stated this has been (and may continue to be) an issue for this program no matter who is doing the scheduling.

And while true road games against MAC teams is a great idea, lose the ticket, ad, and concessions revenue from these buy games and an athletic department that is living off of credit cards in the form of subsidies in the mid 40%s and you have an even worse financial situation.

Agree. In particular, the bolded.

12-18-2017 12:03 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-18-2017 12:00 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Yep. And for the reason I stated this has been (and may continue to be) an issue for this program no matter who is doing the scheduling.

These games are the reason I'm thinking of cancelling my tickets next year, so there can be a case made that they also don't bring in revenue. It is a lot cheaper to buy mini plan with all the big games (X, Wich. St., etc.) and just buy tickets to the games I want to see. Anyways, I still think there is a case to get a little more creative, by doing some research on these teams ahead if time. Typically schools from conferences like the SOCON and Big South all suck really bad, with 300+RPIs.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2017 12:45 PM by jarr.)
12-18-2017 12:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.