Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Disney Buying Fox Assets Including Regional Sports Networks
Bookmark and Share
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
But Murdoch is not selling out completely. He is holding onto certain properties, including Fox News, the Fox broadcast network, television stations and Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2. His newspapers such as Wall Street Journal, New York Post, Times of London and a portfolio of Australian properties are housed in a second company, News Corp., that the Murdoch family controls with 39% of the voting shares. Some analysts expect Murdoch to eventually fold the remaining Fox assets into News Corp.

Then came a shift. This year, Disney spent $1.6 billion to gain a majority stake in BamTech, an online streaming platform that Disney plans to use to launch two streaming services in the next two years, including an ESPN service next year. Disney decided its future was in selling its shows and sports channels directly to consumers. That meant taking on Netflix

A Disney-branded streaming service, set to launch in 2019, will have more firepower with Fox’s assets. Disney would gain 22 regional Fox Sports networks, which could help entice more sports fans to sign up for the proposed ESPN streaming services if the service eventually includes access to Los Angeles Kings, San Diego Padres or New York Yankees games.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywoo...story.html

Disney is gearing up to compete with Netflix, Amazon, Facebook, and other internet giants. I think this leaves no doubt that cable tv is dead and will be replaced by individual streaming subscriptions. This smells like realignment, but could be a good thing for G5's. I believe that ratings and subscriptions will become more important than things like tv market potential that drove realignment in the past.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2017 08:56 AM by TrueBlueDrew.)
12-14-2017 08:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Disney Buying Fox Assets Including Regional Sports Networks
(12-14-2017 08:52 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Disney is gearing up to compete with Netflix, Amazon, Facebook, and other internet giants. I think this leaves no doubt that cable tv is dead and will be replaced by individual streaming subscriptions. This smells like realignment, but could be a good thing for G5's. I believe that ratings and subscriptions will become more important than things like tv market potential that drove realignment in the past.

I don't think so this is the death of cable/satellite.

First of all. You have to have internet. Cable companies are a major provider of that.

Millions of rural customers do not have viable high speed internet. Their TV has to come from satellite because many can't even get OTA programming since the digital switch.

Second streaming sports means if you are a connected viewer you receive text and push alerts of things that haven't happened on your screen.

All that changes is the model.

You don't think freed from content producers forcing them to place channels in a bundle that the providers won't be able to market competitive alternatives? Cable will end up slashing their price for channels and make it a loss leader for having their now more expensive internet service.

Oh and don't forget.

The FCC is about to kill net neutrality.

Congratulations.

Your internet provider is going to give you a cap on usage. BUT if you buy their streaming service, that data won't count against your cap. And of course in order "to provide customers with the best experience" the internet providers are going to require Netflix, Amazon, Disney to pay them for server usage to mirror their content so consumers don't get the throttled streaming that will be given to streamers who don't cough up. So Netflix is going to become more expensive as it has to bribe your internet provider to not cause you to get pissed off by the screen freezing as Stranger Things 4 gets to the critical moment by needing to buffer.

Internet providers are about to get many times richer.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2017 10:17 AM by arkstfan.)
12-14-2017 10:15 AM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
(12-14-2017 10:15 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  First of all. You have to have internet. Cable companies are a major provider of that.

Millions of rural customers do not have viable high speed internet. Their TV has to come from satellite because many can't even get OTA programming since the digital switch.

Within the next 2-3 years, 5G will begin to change this.

As someone that lives in a "rural area" without any access to a hardwired connection, this will be a game changer.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2017 10:21 AM by TheEagleWay.)
12-14-2017 10:21 AM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(12-14-2017 10:21 AM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  
(12-14-2017 10:15 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  First of all. You have to have internet. Cable companies are a major provider of that.

As someone that lives in a "rural area" without any access to a hardwired connection, this will be a game changer.

Until Ajit Pai's handiwork comes into play, and you're capped into oblivion unless you pay exorbitant amounts of money to be able to stream everything you want to watch.
12-14-2017 10:58 AM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Yeah, the FCC killing Net Neutraility for no reason other than greed in combination with Networks moving to the streaming model is only going to mean that internet prices are about to go through the roof to cover for the cable process which won't go through the roof.
12-14-2017 12:15 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
This could put more Sunbelt teams on the acquired RSN's since the Sunbelt is tied to ESPN just like the MAC is.
12-14-2017 12:22 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(12-14-2017 12:15 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Yeah, the FCC killing Net Neutraility for no reason other than greed in combination with Networks moving to the streaming model is only going to mean that internet prices are about to go through the roof to cover for the cable process which won't go through the roof.

Hate to break it to you but since "net neutrality" was enacted 2 years ago, my cost has double for the same amount of speed.

My 12Mbs with AT&T was $25 without discounts 2 years ago and now it is $58 for the same 12Mbs.
12-14-2017 12:33 PM
Advertisement

Check Yosef Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(12-14-2017 12:33 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(12-14-2017 12:15 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Yeah, the FCC killing Net Neutraility for no reason other than greed in combination with Networks moving to the streaming model is only going to mean that internet prices are about to go through the roof to cover for the cable process which won't go through the roof.

Hate to break it to you but since "net neutrality" was enacted 2 years ago, my cost has double for the same amount of speed.

My 12Mbs with AT&T was $25 without discounts 2 years ago and now it is $58 for the same 12Mbs.
Net neutrality wasn't enacted 2 years ago, its been the rule of thumb since the internet was created.

Edit; your price increase has probably been mainly due to increased demand and lack of direct competition

Sent from my LGLS992 using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2017 12:44 PM by Check Yosef.)
12-14-2017 12:40 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(12-14-2017 10:21 AM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  

5G is going to be expensive. It's a huge investment and you can't change physics there is only so much spectrum available.

When it rolls out, it is going to go into the densest urban areas first because that's where the money is. Low density rural area may be a decade or more away. There are still a lot of places that haven't received 4G coverage yet.

When 5G rolls out there will be data caps and there will be services that get most favored nation status. Remember AT&T dodges net neutrality by having Direct TV pay a fee to be exempt from the data cap. If I watch a program on my mobile phone using the Hulu app it counts against my data. Watch the same program on demand via the Direct app it doesn't count against my data.

With net neutrality gone the cell provider can deny access saying it causes technical issues. They can throttle the speed in order to "save" capacity for other users. They can tell Netflix screw u we aren't even going to permit access to Netflix unless you pay us.
12-14-2017 01:11 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
Further consolidation of peoples sources of information. Group think will continue to run rampant. Fantastic.
12-14-2017 03:02 PM
Advertisement

StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
Maybe since Atlanta has 2 Regional Fox Networks, our football & basketball games will be televised.
12-14-2017 03:05 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Hahahahahahaha

No

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
12-14-2017 04:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
(12-14-2017 04:45 PM)panama Wrote:  Hahahahahahaha

No

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

One can hope. They are running out of Braves players to do Driven stories about. Personally I thought the Zane Smith one was a stretch.
12-14-2017 05:01 PM
Advertisement

AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

(12-14-2017 12:40 PM)Check Yosef Wrote:  

Net neutrality wasn't enacted 2 years ago, its been the rule of thumb since the internet was created.

Edit; your price increase has probably been mainly due to increased demand and lack of direct competition

The regulations misleadingly named "net neturality" that the FCC are poised to undo were created in 2015. Those being the government's ability to regulate (ie tax) the internet like it does the utilities.

What existed prior to 2015 could rightly be called true "net neturality": an internet free of censorship or government interference/regulation, but that is not what the FCC is dealing with now.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2017 06:13 PM by AppfanInCAAland.)
12-14-2017 06:05 PM
Check Yosef Offline
1st String

(12-14-2017 06:05 PM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  
(12-14-2017 12:40 PM)Check Yosef Wrote:  

The regulations misleadingly named "net neturality" that the FCC are poised to undo were created in 2015. Those being the government's ability to regulate (ie tax) the internet like it does the utilities.

What existed prior to 2015 could rightly be called true "net neturality": an internet free of censorship or government interference/regulation, but that is not what the FCC is dealing with now.
"At a packed meeting of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in Washington, the watchdog’s commissioners voted three to two to dismantle the “net neutrality” rules that prevent internet service providers (ISPs) from charging websites more for delivering certain services or blocking others should they, for example, compete with services the cable company also offers."
'
Credit to The Guardian, I think you may be reading regulations as taxes, the importance of the policy is the inability for companies to throttle etc.

Edit: If you want to talk anymore about the issue feel free to pm, but since this is a sports forum I don't want to post anymore quasi-political posts

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2017 06:33 PM by Check Yosef.)
12-14-2017 06:29 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
(12-14-2017 10:15 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(12-14-2017 08:52 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Disney is gearing up to compete with Netflix, Amazon, Facebook, and other internet giants. I think this leaves no doubt that cable tv is dead and will be replaced by individual streaming subscriptions. This smells like realignment, but could be a good thing for G5's. I believe that ratings and subscriptions will become more important than things like tv market potential that drove realignment in the past.

I don't think so this is the death of cable/satellite.

First of all. You have to have internet. Cable companies are a major provider of that.

Second streaming sports means if you are a connected viewer you receive text and push alerts of things that haven't happened on your screen.

All that changes is the model.

You don't think freed from content producers forcing them to place channels in a bundle that the providers won't be able to market competitive alternatives? Cable will end up slashing their price for channels and make it a loss leader for having their now more expensive internet service.

Oh and don't forget.

The FCC is about to kill net neutrality.

Congratulations.

Your internet provider is going to give you a cap on usage. BUT if you buy their streaming service, that data won't count against your cap. And of course in order "to provide customers with the best experience" the internet providers are going to require Netflix, Amazon, Disney to pay them for server usage to mirror their content so consumers don't get the throttled streaming that will be given to streamers who don't cough up. So Netflix is going to become more expensive as it has to bribe your internet provider to not cause you to get pissed off by the screen freezing as Stranger Things 4 gets to the critical moment by needing to buffer.

Internet providers are about to get many times richer.
I've had a cap on usage for several years . . . chose to pay more for unlimited.
12-14-2017 08:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.