UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Good-bye Snoozy's
BTR Offline
The Royal Order of Rooster

I Root For: UAB!!!

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardDonators
Good-bye Snoozy's
I am seeing things on social media saying that UAB bought the building and Snoozy's is out by end of the year.

Yikes!
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2017 04:36 PM by blazerjay.)
12-12-2017 11:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marathon Blazer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
RE: Snoozy's going out of business????
(12-12-2017 11:11 PM)BTR Wrote:  I am seeing things on social media saying that UAB bought the building and Snoozy's is out by end of the year.

Yikes!

Confirmed by Brad. 03-hissyfit
12-12-2017 11:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
R-6 Offline
Special Teams

Sad day. Apparently Snoozy approached UAB about it. It still stinks. Other options have been hinted at by Brad but I suspect UAB now holds all of the cards for any other options.
12-12-2017 11:45 PM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
Snoozy's going out of business????
#FireRayWatts. This is his damn revenge for George supporting The Return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-12-2017 11:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
Unbelievable. UAB will see a decrease in merchandise sales and licensing royalties. The Watzi State-Run bookstore blows.
12-12-2017 11:50 PM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
I will never shop at the UAB Bookstore.

12-12-2017 11:53 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(12-12-2017 11:48 PM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  #FireRayWatts. This is his damn revenge for George supporting The Return.

The post above you says It was Snoozys idea. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Snoozys was historically the only alternative to the Bookstore for UAB made. You either bought from one or the other. Now there are other options and it probably hurt Snoozys profits. An institution is leaving the scene. It is sad just as Fat Sams was.

I bet some steps into the void though.
12-13-2017 12:30 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I've heard that Mr. Snoozy was having some health issues. If it's true that Snoozys approached UAB, it may be that he was looking to sell the business and retire.
12-13-2017 12:39 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

Facebook post from the store manager, Brad:

"OK guys. After 34 years of service to the UAB community, Snoozy and his family have decided to sell the property to UAB. Snoozy approached them about the sale. We are all sad to see it go, but have faith that another option will rise for the loyal customers. Stay strong and come see us before Christmas. Enjoy the discount while you can. Everything is 25% off and if you buy 4 or more items you get 40% off. We would love to hear your favorite Snoozy's memories. This was a very difficult decision for Snoozy and his family to make. I support him in his choice and want his memory and legacy to always remain as it is. One to be admired and respected."
12-13-2017 01:17 AM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Considering its location, the building will probably be demolished and replaced by an academic building or a dorm in a few years.
12-13-2017 02:21 AM
BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

I Root For: Hard Liquor
I'm surprised it is still open. All you have to do is look at the trend in brick and mortar retail. I first signed up on Amazon a dozen years ago when they were basically just selling books. I signed up to buy my books for law school because it was much cheaper than buying from the bookstore. I now buy just about everything but groceries from them. I would imagine that current college students are pretty savvy about where they get their books, and that doesn't bode well for people like Snoozy's. It is sad though, they are definitely a UAB institution.
12-13-2017 09:46 AM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Not good for the situation even though it isn't related to Watts.
But you can't fault Snoozy for retiring the business & moving on.

Never have been a real fan of the bookstore because I think they support Watts' view on athletics a little too much.
12-13-2017 09:58 AM
blazertke Offline
1st String

(12-13-2017 09:46 AM)BatesUAB Wrote:  I'm surprised it is still open. All you have to do is look at the trend in brick and mortar retail. I first signed up on Amazon a dozen years ago when they were basically just selling books. I signed up to buy my books for law school because it was much cheaper than buying from the bookstore. I now buy just about everything but groceries from them. I would imagine that current college students are pretty savvy about where they get their books, and that doesn't bode well for people like Snoozy's. It is sad though, they are definitely a UAB institution.

This. I hate to see Snoozy's go as much as the next person. Most of my UAB apparel is from there and I love stopping in there when I'm back in town. However, brick and mortar bookstores are a dying breed. I'm about to finish up an MBA at UTC and more times than not I've rented through Amazon instead of dealing with the campus bookstore. Chegg is another service I've used where you can rent or buy e textbooks. It's much more cost and time efficient.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2017 10:28 AM by blazertke.)
12-13-2017 10:27 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I've used Chegg for my daughter a few times.

Pain in the tail though when you have to return the books later on.

Not a fan of textbook prices by any means.

The more options the better.
12-13-2017 10:30 AM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
I hate the UAB Bookstore because I once asked for a 4X shirt and the girl I asked called me fat and told me to lose weight. Really. I told her to go to hell, asked for the manager — and it was her. It will never get my money.

12-13-2017 10:36 AM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(12-13-2017 10:27 AM)blazertke Wrote:  
(12-13-2017 09:46 AM)BatesUAB Wrote:  I'm surprised it is still open. All you have to do is look at the trend in brick and mortar retail. I first signed up on Amazon a dozen years ago when they were basically just selling books. I signed up to buy my books for law school because it was much cheaper than buying from the bookstore. I now buy just about everything but groceries from them. I would imagine that current college students are pretty savvy about where they get their books, and that doesn't bode well for people like Snoozy's. It is sad though, they are definitely a UAB institution.

This. I hate to see Snoozy's go as much as the next person. Most of my UAB apparel is from there and I love stopping in there when I'm back in town. However, brick and mortar bookstores are a dying breed. I'm about to finish up an MBA at UTC and more times than not I've rented through Amazon instead of dealing with the campus bookstore. Chegg is another service I've used where you can rent or buy e textbooks. It's much more cost and time efficient.

I agree and disagree with this statement.

Brick and Mortar stores are not dying at the rate that many people think. It's projected that next year only 8.8% of total retail sales will occur online. While this is a much bigger chunk than it has been in the past, it still doesn't represent a majority of sales.

Where the true damage is happening is in specific sectors of retail. Amazon puts pressure on a lot of brick and mortar retailers, but there is still a ton of opportunity for companies with a strong niche.

Snoozy's certainly has a strong niche. I don't know their sales numbers, but I suspect that the store could continue to operate (thrive even) for many years to come with their niche UAB gear angle supporting their traditional book business.
12-13-2017 10:44 AM
Advertisement

hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(12-13-2017 10:44 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(12-13-2017 10:27 AM)blazertke Wrote:  

I agree and disagree with this statement.

Brick and Mortar stores are not dying at the rate that many people think. It's projected that next year only 8.8% of total retail sales will occur online. While this is a much bigger chunk than it has been in the past, it still doesn't represent a majority of sales.

Where the true damage is happening is in specific sectors of retail. Amazon puts pressure on a lot of brick and mortar retailers, but there is still a ton of opportunity for companies with a strong niche.

Snoozy's certainly has a strong niche. I don't know their sales numbers, but I suspect that the store could continue to operate (thrive even) for many years to come with their niche UAB gear angle supporting their traditional book business.

I agree. It doesn't seem like the health of the business was the issue here. More about the health of the owner and a desire to retire.

The manager has hinted about possibly opening another UAB themed store in the future.
12-13-2017 10:46 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Ya'll be patient. I found out we may have an alternative soon. Can't say what it is right now but I hope everyone will be happy.
12-13-2017 11:17 AM
Blazer Engineer Offline
Skull Splitter

(12-13-2017 11:17 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Ya'll be patient. I found out we may have an alternative soon. Can't say what it is right now but I hope everyone will be happy.

Yeap
12-13-2017 11:30 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Trussville Academy aisle 7, row 3, bins 4 & 5
12-13-2017 11:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.