Link: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...p-in-2017/

Probably just splitting hairs...
12-11-2017 02:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: CBS Picks CUSA Over MAC in Football
(12-11-2017 02:41 PM)wleakr Wrote:  Link: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...p-in-2017/

Probably just splitting hairs...

MAC didn't have a great year. Toledo was good.
12-11-2017 03:26 PM
thefaU Offline
2nd String

I Root For: FloridaAtlantic
I think CUSA was better overall than MAC - at least this season. Who knows come 2018.
12-11-2017 03:30 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
I think that while the MAC hasn't been very good this season, we still edge out the C-USA. Their champ lost to UB and UAB nearly won their division after getting a modern death penalty yet even then they still lost to Ball State. Their trio of UTEP/UNC-C/Rice went a combined 2-34, that was anywhere from one to three automatic wins for everyone else. Methinks that they won't fare so well in bowl season.
12-11-2017 06:48 PM

thefaU Offline
2nd String

(12-11-2017 06:48 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  I think that while the MAC hasn't been very good this season, we still edge out the C-USA. Their champ lost to UB and UAB nearly won their division after getting a modern death penalty yet even then they still lost to Ball State. Their trio of UTEP/UNC-C/Rice went a combined 2-34, that was anywhere from one to three automatic wins for everyone else. Methinks that they won't fare so well in bowl season.

Yet, your East division champion went 7-5 during the regular season. I think that says more about MAC as a whole this season than one of our losses. Also, your trio of Ball State, Kent State, and Bowling Green went 3/24 in conference play compared to our trio going 2/24 in conference play. MAC had just as many "automatic wins" as CUSA did. Overall, CUSA was better than MAC this season.
12-11-2017 07:57 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(12-11-2017 07:57 PM)thefaU Wrote:  
(12-11-2017 06:48 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  I think that while the MAC hasn't been very good this season, we still edge out the C-USA. Their champ lost to UB and UAB nearly won their division after getting a modern death penalty yet even then they still lost to Ball State. Their trio of UTEP/UNC-C/Rice went a combined 2-34, that was anywhere from one to three automatic wins for everyone else. Methinks that they won't fare so well in bowl season.

Yet, your East division champion went 7-5 during the regular season. I think that says more about MAC as a whole this season than one of our losses. Also, your trio of Ball State, Kent State, and Bowling Green went 3/24 in conference play compared to our trio going 2/24 in conference play. MAC had just as many "automatic wins" as CUSA did. Overall, CUSA was better than MAC this season.

The two wins from Rice and Charlotte were both against C-USA opponents while three of the six Kent/BG/Ball wins were out of conference, and of the three MAC wins one was the BG-Kent game with the other two against Miami (featuring one of the more incompetent coaching staffs around). Yeah the MAC East isn't good, but even the Sagarin ratings put it above both C-USA divisions. And while Toledo's resume isn't the best thing since sliced bread, at least they were close into the 4th against The U and they didn't finish OOC play with just one win (against Bethune-Cookman).
12-11-2017 08:42 PM
thefaU Offline
2nd String

(12-11-2017 08:42 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  The two wins from Rice and Charlotte were both against C-USA opponents while three of the six Kent/BG/Ball wins were out of conference, and of the three MAC wins one was the BG-Kent game with the other two against Miami (featuring one of the more incompetent coaching staffs around). Yeah the MAC East isn't good, but even the Sagarin ratings put it above both C-USA divisions. And while Toledo's resume isn't the best thing since sliced bread, at least they were close into the 4th against The U and they didn't finish OOC play with just one win (against Bethune-Cookman).

Yet, two of those wins (Ball State over Tennessee Tech & Kent State over Howard) were FCS wins. Neither UTEP nor Rice played an FCS team this season. And Charlotte's loss is (most likely) to the FCS champion (North Carolina A&T), whereas Tennessee Tech, for example, has won one game. So those wins are moot in comparison. And those wins greatly affect Sagarin's ratings for OOC wins and win %. Ball State did beat UAB. Well done. UAB was actually a great team this season. Bill Clark deserved COTY for what he's done with/for that program. But how about we look at the strength of schedule statistics and then compare? I'm sure that will provide us with a better overall picture.

Also, I'm not comparing Florida Atlantic to Toledo. Y'all were clearly the better team this season (if only we got to play them instead of Akron in our bowl game!). We clearly did not start the season off well, but are on a 9-game win streak (second to UCF). What I'm comparing are MAC and CUSA as a whole. As I pointed out prior, MAC had just as many "automatic wins" as CUSA did. So instead of concentrating on our bottom trios, let's look at the overall picture. This is where we beat you. Collectively, we played better as a conference. We don't have one great division and one semi-okay division. This is why CUSA should be (and are) ranked higher than MAC this season.
12-11-2017 09:42 PM

bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OHIO
This is a very poorly written sentence:

Akron was Toldeo's opponent in the conference championship game but finished 7-6, along with Northern Illinois and Ohio.

First, he spelled Toledo wrong and second it makes it sound like Northern and Ohio were 7-6 like Akron. we weren't.
12-12-2017 09:39 AM
george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU

To be fair, Ball State was a completely different team then, they still had Neal and Gilbert at that point. Buffalo ended up being a bowl team. I think the MAC and CUSA were both pretty bad conferences. Like another poster said, it's splitting hairs. Toledo was good and that's about it.
12-12-2017 10:26 AM
ECBrad Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(12-11-2017 09:42 PM)thefaU Wrote:  Charlotte's loss is (most likely) to the FCS champion (North Carolina A&T), whereas Tennessee Tech, for example, has won one game.

Just a slight correction. NC A&T is not in the FCS playoffs because the MEAC champion is obligated to play in the Celebration Bowl. This doesn't change the point you were making though about relative quality of opponent.
12-12-2017 01:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.