Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

When hired I thought he was gonna be THE GUY
Bookmark and Share
nucyberdawg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
to lead NIU out from the bball rut the men have been mired in for 20 seasons.

Six years later Montgomery has not lived up to expectations - especially when you review his bio , pedigree and positive endorsements prior to his hiring. He arrived in DeKalb highly recommended by knowledge bball minds.

What exactly is lacking in his tenure at NIU? Is he key to why players leave?

I first when hired I thought he was gonna be another Novak for NIU. Six years just seems like a lifetime of more of the same with Patton, Judson and Hammel.

Just consider what Lisa Carlsen has done for women's program in two plus seasons.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2017 07:50 AM by nucyberdawg.)
12-10-2017 07:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

badmoonrising13 Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: When hired I thought he was gonna be THE GUY
Thought Judson would be the guy and thought Bennett was a sure thing as well. Looks like Carlsen is the answer for the women so we should find a stud coach from the D-II level when Monty moves on. I was not very impressed with the defense in the ISU game. Gotta play defense with intensity on a consistent basis to win consistently.
12-10-2017 08:18 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
Only 641 people at the game yesterday and comments I heard from people at the game tell me that we're not the only ones frustrated with men's basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
12-10-2017 08:46 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
I think the football and men's basketball teams should be required to attend a women's basketball game. They will see a team that functions like a team, with players working together, having fun, supporting each other, cheering for each other, patting others on the back, smiling on the court, and genuinely enjoying playing the game. After the game, win or lose, the players come into the stands and thank the fans for attending.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2017 09:01 AM by Dog Fan.)
12-10-2017 08:59 AM
BDB5yp Offline
All American

(12-10-2017 08:59 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  I think the football and men's basketball teams should be required to attend a women's basketball game. They will see a team that functions like a team, with players working together, having fun, supporting each other, cheering for each other, patting others on the back, smiling on the court, and genuinely enjoying playing the game. After the game, win or lose, the players come into the stands and thank the fans for attending.

Playing hard , winning and appreciate of their few fans. Hmmmm
12-10-2017 09:06 AM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(12-10-2017 08:59 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  I think the football and men's basketball teams should be required to attend a women's basketball game. They will see a team that functions like a team, with players working together, having fun, supporting each other, cheering for each other, patting others on the back, smiling on the court, and genuinely enjoying playing the game. After the game, win or lose, the players come into the stands and thank the fans for attending.

Yeah I saw that when I went to the Bradley game a few weeks back , I couldn't believe it. Very impressive
12-10-2017 11:57 AM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

What a great idea and suggestion!
12-10-2017 12:15 PM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

For whatever reason this has not worked out. As soon as NIU can afford to do so they need to thank coach Montgomery for his contributions, wish him well with his future and give someone else a chance to lead us out of the widerness.
12-10-2017 12:25 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(12-10-2017 11:57 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

Yeah I saw that when I went to the Bradley game a few weeks back , I couldn't believe it. Very impressive

More than anything else, I just love attending the women's games. It is such a joy to feel the positive vibes and watch a team totally in sync having such a great time playing the game. And the ladies play hard and win under a great, inspiring coach. What more could you want?
12-10-2017 12:46 PM
Advertisement

nucyberdawg Offline
2nd String

that is EXACTLY the reaction and feeling I want when attending NIU men's bball.
12-10-2017 04:34 PM
Ballfan92 Offline
Water Engineer

(12-10-2017 08:18 AM)badmoonrising13 Wrote:  Thought Judson would be the guy and thought Bennett was a sure thing as well. Looks like Carlsen is the answer for the women so we should find a stud coach from the D-II level when Monty moves on. I was not very impressed with the defense in the ISU game. Gotta play defense with intensity on a consistent basis to win consistently.

Last year the team is good defensively and everyone complains about the offense. This year the team isn't as good defensively but better offensively and everyone complains about the defense. Tell me, do you know how rare it is for teams to be very good, or even bad at both?
12-10-2017 06:05 PM
Ballfan92 Offline
Water Engineer

It's not the teams, it's the coaching staffs. Culture is not established by the players, it's established AND enforced by the coaches.
12-10-2017 06:08 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(12-10-2017 06:08 PM)Ballfan92 Wrote:  

It's not the teams, it's the coaching staffs. Culture is not established by the players, it's established AND enforced by the coaches.

I think this is largely true, but I do think the football team has lacked the senior leadership it enjoyed under Kill and Doeren, which goes back to the chicken and egg question, are no leaders emerging because of the culture created by the coaches or vice versa who knows.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2017 06:10 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
12-10-2017 06:10 PM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(12-10-2017 04:34 PM)nucyberdawg Wrote:  that is EXACTLY the reaction and feeling I want when attending NIU men's bball.

Good luck. However, a new coach would be a great start.
12-11-2017 08:56 AM
uiniu57 Online
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(12-10-2017 07:44 AM)nucyberdawg Wrote:  What exactly is lacking in his tenure at NIU? Is he key to why players leave?
Six years just seems like a lifetime of more of the same with Patton, Judson and Hammel.

Two thoughts: No. 1, don't put Hammel in with the other three. Hammel came in after carpetbagger Molinari jumped ship and Hammel got us back into the NCAA tournament. This was at a time when NIU's administration was playing musical conferences and unfortunately Hammel got burnt out mentally and physically.
No. 2, While Monty appears to be able to recruit talented individuals, that's the problem. We've had talented individuals who seem unable or unwilling to mesh with others, at which point either the coaching staff runs them off or they choose to leave. The fact that every season we're labeled as young and need to develop chemistry is the problem. Not only do the players not appear to improve individually, but most importantly, they do not develop into a cohesive team.
12-11-2017 11:04 AM
huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

Yeah, I am tired of the only thing consistent is being "young" every year.
12-11-2017 05:00 PM
badmoonrising13 Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-10-2017 06:05 PM)Ballfan92 Wrote:  
(12-10-2017 08:18 AM)badmoonrising13 Wrote:  Thought Judson would be the guy and thought Bennett was a sure thing as well. Looks like Carlsen is the answer for the women so we should find a stud coach from the D-II level when Monty moves on. I was not very impressed with the defense in the ISU game. Gotta play defense with intensity on a consistent basis to win consistently.

Last year the team is good defensively and everyone complains about the offense. This year the team isn't as good defensively but better offensively and everyone complains about the defense. Tell me, do you know how rare it is for teams to be very good, or even bad at both?

I'm so very sorry for hoping that the team can be good offensively and defensively. I'm sure it's as rare as gold. I'll go sit in the corner as penance.
12-11-2017 09:53 PM
Advertisement

uiniu57 Online
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(12-11-2017 09:53 PM)badmoonrising13 Wrote:  
(12-10-2017 06:05 PM)Ballfan92 Wrote:  

I'm so very sorry for hoping that the team can be good offensively and defensively. I'm sure it's as rare as gold. I'll go sit in the corner as penance.

Move over and make room because there are a lot more people who would hope we could be good offensively and defensively.
12-11-2017 09:59 PM
Ballfan92 Offline
Water Engineer

I should rephrase: you can be good at different aspects of both offense and defense, but in terms of players' energy/skills one usually takes priority over the other. Having highly-ranked offense and defense at the same time is rare. This year's team is better offensively than in years past but is not going to hold teams in the 40s or 50s. They play faster paced, force turnovers and don't turn the ball over, which is a recipe to win games 80-70 or 70-60. You would be better off looking at margin of victory than saying "we gave up 'x' to so-and-so".
12-11-2017 10:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.