Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent State @ Wright State
Bookmark and Share
fallsdog Online
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
Kent State @ Wright State
The Flashes travel to the Nutter Center in Dayton to take on the Wright State Raiders for the first time ever. Can you believe that? Kent State and Wright State have never played. Nebraska is in the Big Ten, Texas A&M is in the SEC and Kent State and Wright State have never played. There are some things I will never understand.

The teams have identical 5-4 records. Like the Flashes, the Raiders do not have a particularly impressive victory on their early season resume. Wright State has beaten Wayne State, Fairfield, Tiffin, Jacksonville, Gardner Webb and Ohio Valley.

Head Coach Scott Nagy has an 8 man rotation fueled by the offense of 6'3 senior Grant Benziger. The Cincinnati product is averaging just over 14 points per game. Benziger is joined in the backcourt by a pair of double digit scorers in 6'4 senior Justin Mitchell and 6'4 junior Marcus Hughes. Hughes played his high school ball at Youngstown Ursuline.

Protecting the paint are a pair of big boys in 6'9 275 pound freshman Loudon Love and 6'11 235 pound junior Paker Ernsthausen. Imagine Loudon Love playing for your local high school football team's offensive line. mmm, mmm, mmm.

Anyway, this looks like a good test for the Flashes. Wright State hung tough with Miami and they were neck and neck with big, bad Loyola on the road.

Two questions surround this game in my humble opinion. First, is Walker playing? Second, is Kent State mature enough to bounce back from Wednesday's shellacking and play a full 40 on the road at the long time home of the OHSAA Wrestling Championships?

GO FLASHES!
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2017 09:34 AM by fallsdog.)
12-09-2017 08:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

JimJoyce Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: KT ST
RE: Kent State @ Wright State
Call me crazy or maybe I'm missing sarcasm somewhwere but I know for a fact we played Wright State last year. I seem to also remember going to a game before the MAC Center renovations where we played them. We've definitely played before.
12-09-2017 10:20 AM
fallsdog Online
1st String

I may have misread the game notes but it says first meeting. That does seem odd.

http://wsuraiders.com/documents/2017/12/..._State.pdf
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2017 11:10 AM by fallsdog.)
12-09-2017 11:07 AM
fallsdog Online
1st String

Oh yea. Wright State was decent last year and beat Kent by five at the macc
12-09-2017 11:19 AM

anti-zip Offline
1st String

I Root For: kent state!
Jim Christian's BC team beat Duke today.
12-09-2017 02:43 PM
anti-zip Offline
1st String

Avery needs to challenge Wright States bigs when they hedge. They're hedging aggressively and he's letting them stop him. Just run into them they call fouls on aggressive hedges nearly every time.
12-09-2017 03:20 PM
anti-zip Offline
1st String

What an ugly first half. Between our horribly inefficient offense and listening to the Wright State announcer that sounds exactly like Dale Baskets this has been most unpleasant.
12-09-2017 03:48 PM

fallsdog Online
1st String

It’s been a while since there has been nobody to throw it to in the post.
12-09-2017 04:36 PM
OLNWFLSH Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KSU
(12-09-2017 04:36 PM)fallsdog Wrote:  It’s been a while since there has been nobody to throw it to in the post.

This team's committing too many fouls - ouch - and Ball St took out Valpo today
12-09-2017 05:04 PM
anti-zip Offline
1st String

Looking like another year where we'll be a frustrating sporadic team that has the potential to go on a run if they get it together. A lot of bad today. I'll try to give Walker the benefit of the doubt that he was rusty but he was back to forcing ill-advised threes today (1-7). Several off iso-dribble situations. Another game where De La Rosa is a non factor and fouls out quickly. Not going to beat anyone when your top two scorers are playing like that.

It seems like we're still trying to find our identity and it's taking painfully long to do so. When De La Rosa is in there we don't seem to work to get it into him in good spots but rather we just lob it in or settle for outside shots. Then when he's out we don't use the post at all. I don't get to see practice so I could be way off when I say this, but it seems like we should've been trying to play Nwankwo throughout the non conference schedule to see if he could shape up into a rotation player. He's the only other guy that has the size and muscle to play like De La Rosa and since he's not getting into the game we can't play the same style when De La Rosa is out.

Our perimeter defense is very concerning. From what I've seen Bernstein may actually be one of our better perimeter defenders which I think is the only reason he's in the rotation. His 4 steals were nice today but we should absolutely be worried that we have 2 Sr guards and 3 Jr guards but we're needing to play a 6'0" walk-on.
12-09-2017 05:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.