Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis? Basketball or Football?
AGuyIn_Water Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
Memphis? Basketball or Football?
All of a sudden, American fans have seen a "power" football program in Memphis.
Memphis was thought to have a football program that not many people cared

Quite frankly, "Memphis State" Basketball, nowadays, does not sell its seats. (Memphis was even packed to see a irrelevant OOC game CUSA days)

Correct me if I am wrong. Memphis is easily the most traditional basketball "power" in American.

What happened?
12-07-2017 10:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: Memphis? Basketball or Football?
(12-07-2017 10:10 PM)AGuyIn_Water Wrote:  All of a sudden, American fans have seen a "power" football program in Memphis.

Quite frankly, "Memphis State" Basketball, nowadays, does not sell its seats. (Memphis was even packed to see a irrelevant OOC game CUSA days)

Correct me if I am wrong. Memphis is easily the most traditional basketball "power" in American.

What happened?

First, the most traditional power in the AAC is UConn.

The main cause of low attendance is the current coach. His PR skills are woeful, he does not win enough, and he does not sufficiently recruit. There is no legitimate reason for hope now or in the future.
12-07-2017 10:19 PM
72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Pastner drove the program off a cliff.
12-07-2017 10:28 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
We're not a "football school" as long as we're in the G5 under the current rules. Its basketball that we're not barred from a national championship. And we're willing to spend the money to get us there. Until that changes - its 'basketball school."
12-07-2017 10:51 PM
C0|db|00ded Offline
Instrument of Pain

I Root For: Wichita State
Why not both?

Basketball first though. I'm a big Memphis bball fan. 04-cheers

T

...03-cool
12-07-2017 10:53 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
When Calipari took the helm, the school was coming off a losing record (15-16) and yet attendance surged 43% higher in Calipari's first year.

In contrast, the school experienced a 19-15 record the year before Tubby's arrival and attendance dropped 20% in Tubby's first year and has plummeted his second year.

Conclusion: the coach makes a significant and material difference in attendance. The impact of the previous year on attendance is negligible.

Tubby has failed to ignite the fans and the attendance problem is mainly his fault.
12-07-2017 11:06 PM
Advertisement

C0|db|00ded Offline
Instrument of Pain

I Root For: Wichita State
(12-07-2017 11:06 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  When Calipari took the helm, the school was coming off a losing record (15-16) and yet attendance surged 43% higher in Calipari's first year.

In contrast, the school experienced a 19-15 record the year before Tubby's arrival and attendance dropped 20% in Tubby's first year and has plummeted his second year.

Conclusion: the coach makes a significant and material difference in attendance. The impact of the previous year on attendance is negligible.

Tubby has failed to ignite the fans and the attendance problem is mainly his fault.

Does he coach a boring style of play?

T

...03-cool
12-07-2017 11:12 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(12-07-2017 11:12 PM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 11:06 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  When Calipari took the helm, the school was coming off a losing record (15-16) and yet attendance surged 43% higher in Calipari's first year.

Does he coach a boring style of play?

T

...03-cool

Yes, but few would care if he had more wins and recruited better.
12-07-2017 11:21 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
I've always been a 2 sport guy at Memphis. We were great in FB from the late '50s til the mid-'70s, but since the mid-70s, except for DeAngelo's era and the last 4 seasons, FB has pretty much sucked.

So most Memphis fans are BB only or BB first. But right now, FB is up and BB is down. To blame this all on Toby is unfair, IMO. Pastner is the one who ran the program into the ground. Tubby isn't helping any, but he isn't the sole reason.

The big reason is, Calipari cheated his butt off and got us into the top echelon. Now Memphis fans think that should be the standard. Except our admin put the kabosh on cheating. So unless we find a Gregg Marshall, Mick Cronin or Mark Few type, we are never going to reach Calipari levels any time soon, if ever. But we should get better.

Tubby likely isn't the guy, but when we hired him, we were looking for clean first. I think Tubby will have to go, and we have to hire a young hotshot, to turn this around. Meanwhile, we are really bad. Sorry.

Call us a football school until further notice. We want to be good in both sports. If we only can be good in one, then I would pick FB. But the goal is both.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017 12:06 AM by TripleA.)
12-08-2017 12:05 AM
muffinman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis State
(12-08-2017 12:05 AM)TripleA Wrote:  I've always been a 2 sport guy at Memphis. We were great in FB from the late '50s til the mid-'70s, but since the mid-70s, except for DeAngelo's era and the last 4 seasons, FB has pretty much sucked.

So most Memphis fans are BB only or BB first. But right now, FB is up and BB is down. To blame this all on Toby is unfair, IMO. Pastner is the one who ran the program into the ground. Tubby isn't helping any, but he isn't the sole reason.

The big reason is, Calipari cheated his butt off and got us into the top echelon. Now Memphis fans think that should be the standard. Except our admin put the kabosh on cheating. So unless we find a Gregg Marshall, Mick Cronin or Mark Few type, we are never going to reach Calipari levels any time soon, if ever. But we should get better.

Tubby likely isn't the guy, but when we hired him, we were looking for clean first. I think Tubby will have to go, and we have to hire a young hotshot, to turn this around. Meanwhile, we are really bad. Sorry.

Call us a football school until further notice. We want to be good in both sports. If we only can be good in one, then I would pick FB. But the goal is both.

At this point, I would just take being "decent" at BB... you know, crush the cupcakes like Samford and Bryant, and be competitive in Conference play.

There are three 2019 Top 25 recruits within 20 miles of campus right now and we will get none of them with the current staff... actually, I dont think Tubby has even offered any of them yet.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017 12:16 AM by muffinman.)
12-08-2017 12:16 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
(12-07-2017 10:10 PM)AGuyIn_Water Wrote:  All of a sudden, American fans have seen a "power" football program in Memphis.

What happened?

You're wrong, and no offense to Memphis.
12-08-2017 01:29 AM
Advertisement

72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(12-08-2017 01:29 AM)geef Wrote:  

What happened?

You're wrong, and no offense to Memphis.

Cincinnati and UCONN are both above Memphis for sure, so no offense taken.
12-08-2017 06:08 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94

What happened?

lol huh? Guess you haven't read too many record books. Why don't you compare NCAA regular season and NCAA tourney history and then come back to us. Memphis has a fine tradition, not knocking them at all. But your statement is funny.
12-08-2017 06:26 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(12-08-2017 06:26 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

What happened?

lol huh? Guess you haven't read too many record books. Why don't you compare NCAA regular season and NCAA tourney history and then come back to us. Memphis has a fine tradition, not knocking them at all. But your statement is funny.

That's not a Memphis fan saying that.
12-08-2017 08:05 AM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
(12-08-2017 12:05 AM)TripleA Wrote:  I've always been a 2 sport guy at Memphis. We were great in FB from the late '50s til the mid-'70s, but since the mid-70s, except for DeAngelo's era and the last 4 seasons, FB has pretty much sucked.

I dont agree with that. I think most Memphis fans expect to be competitive, make the tourney 5-6 years every decade(maybe tourney 1 or 2 runs a decade, and recruit at least the high level Memphis kids. I dont think that is outrageous expectations and I think that is where most Memphis fans are.

Are their some wackos that think we should be a number 1 seed every year? Certainly, but that is a minute part of the fanbase.
12-08-2017 11:38 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(12-08-2017 11:38 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

I dont agree with that. I think most Memphis fans expect to be competitive, make the tourney 5-6 years every decade(maybe tourney 1 or 2 runs a decade, and recruit at least the high level Memphis kids. I dont think that is outrageous expectations and I think that is where most Memphis fans are.

Are their some wackos that think we should be a number 1 seed every year? Certainly, but that is a minute part of the fanbase.

I think expectations depend on the quality of the coach. Under a good coach, Memphis should make the NCAA Tourney most years, win games less often, and earn a S 16 or better about every eight years.

I think most fans will agree we can do better than now. JMHO.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017 12:09 PM by Tiger1983.)
12-08-2017 12:04 PM
Advertisement

geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

Agreed. Since the early 80s (when Memphis became a consistent power), they've made the tourney 21 times in 35 years, with five deep runs (Elite 8 or better). You have the fan base, recruiting grounds, and institutional support to keep this going. Hell, I think we have 5 programs in the AAC (Temple, UConn, UC, Memphis, and Wichita State) that have what it takes to be in the Top 40 or so every year.
12-08-2017 12:06 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Memphis needs to hire a young successful guy from a solid mid major. Tubby Smith had a fine career but at this point he is sitting there waiting for the Spirit Horse to come take him across the lake...
12-08-2017 12:07 PM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

(12-08-2017 12:07 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Memphis needs to hire a young successful guy from a solid mid major. Tubby Smith had a fine career but at this point he is sitting there waiting for the Spirit Horse to come take him across the lake...

Hmm. The situation and part of the name - Tub - somehow triggers a memory of another coach in another sport. Can't come up with it, though.
12-08-2017 12:26 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame

I should have said many. That's what I meant. They want top recruits and they want S16s or better., a lot. Not #1 seeds. I should have clarified. If we aren't going to cheat, we aren't getting top recruits.
12-08-2017 12:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.