Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Tiger BB attendance
Bookmark and Share
ddramone Offline
All American

I Root For:
Tiger BB attendance
I'm an OOTer and I watched the game on ESPN3 and could see the FEF was pretty empty. The box score had ANNOUNCED attendance at 4702.

My question to the folks in attendance: was that turnstile count or was that the dreaded 'tickets sold' figure?

If it was the latter, holy cow, that is really, really bad and suggests that there might've been 2,000 people there (around 1/10th full). I left Memphis in 2011 and we were still drawing well. But the last 3 years are really taking their toll on the program and can't imagine how it is going to get better anytime in the next 2 years if Tubby is still around. The program seems pretty well dead.
12-06-2017 11:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
RE: Tiger BB attendance
(12-06-2017 11:38 PM)ddramone Wrote:  I'm an OOTer and I watched the game on ESPN3 and could see the FEF was pretty empty. The box score had ANNOUNCED attendance at 4702.

My question to the folks in attendance: was that turnstile count or was that the dreaded 'tickets sold' figure?

If it was the latter, holy cow, that is really, really bad and suggests that there might've been 2,000 people there (around 1/10th full). I left Memphis in 2011 and we were still drawing well. But the last 3 years are really taking their toll on the program and can't imagine how it is going to get better anytime in the next 2 years if Tubby is still around. The program seems pretty well dead.

It was not the turnstile count. But, ironically enough, last night might have been the most people I have seen in the forum this season. Saturday's game was really bleak, but atleast there was the football game excuse for that.
12-06-2017 11:40 PM
herkermer Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(12-06-2017 11:38 PM)ddramone Wrote:  I'm an OOTer and I watched the game on ESPN3 and could see the FEF was pretty empty. The box score had ANNOUNCED attendance at 4702.

The number reported was tickets... the actual attendance was about 1200 saturday and maybe 2000 last night.
12-06-2017 11:41 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon

I'll say this. I went to the game 2 saturdays ago. Can't remember the opponent, but it was the one where you got $10 off club level with your FB ticket. There were a LOT of fans in the terrace level, and they can't come down from there because security checks your ticket before they let you in any section. The camera never shows the terrace level. But that's where all the cheap seats are.
12-06-2017 11:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
(12-06-2017 11:43 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

I'll say this. I went to the game 2 saturdays ago. Can't remember the opponent, but it was the one where you got $10 off club level with your FB ticket. There were a LOT of fans in the terrace level, and they can't come down from there because security checks your ticket before they let you in any section. The camera never shows the terrace level. But that's where all the cheap seats are.

The key is to sneak down at the half.
12-07-2017 12:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

The attendance is beyond horrible. It will most definitely doom Tubby. People are staying away in droves. There is no excitement as to what is coming next year because there’s only one player coming so far, and he’s probably a project. The administration will be forced to make a change. They can’t continue to kick the broken can down the road.
12-07-2017 12:06 AM
Advertisement

ddramone Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-07-2017 12:06 AM)Joe1 Wrote:  The attendance is beyond horrible. It will most definitely doom Tubby. People are staying away in droves. There is no excitement as to what is coming next year because there’s only one player coming so far, and he’s probably a project. The administration will be forced to make a change. They can’t continue to kick the broken can down the road.

Will it ever come back? Seriously, college BB attendance has been declining for several years and the causes (DVR's, big screen TVs, too many games/tournaments, one-and-dones) are not going away anytime soon.

I remember Tic Price's last year. It was pretty bad then, but nothing like I saw last night. I know in the MSC days, it only held around 10k and occasionally there would be the pre-Christmas, weeknight game and there would be around 60% full.

The place was just a morgue last night and Tubby's personality isn't going to make it any more exciting. We've got a lame duck coach who seems to be biding his time, no recruits on the horizon, zero buzz in the city, no one in the stands and - I have to believe - season tix sales are terrible.

I remember when we played Houston in Chris Massey's senior year. Houston had maybe 800 people in the stands (the place only held 9k and it couldn't had been more than 10% full) and Greg Gaston said 'this is atrocious'. Well, I think we all know that UH basketball has been dead for this entire century and it has NEVER come back. Same with DePaul basketball.
12-07-2017 12:19 AM
skunk100 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
One has to wonder at what point is the FedEx Forum LOSING money on simply being open and operational for games? Does 2,000 people per game in a building that size generate a profit? Because we aren’t getting more than 2000 people per game. The city may be forced to force the UM to make a decision if the UM won’t on it’s own. Business is business and Tubby is costing Memphis major dollars.
12-07-2017 12:25 AM
ddramone Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-07-2017 12:25 AM)skunk100 Wrote:  One has to wonder at what point is the FedEx Forum LOSING money on simply being open and operational for games? Does 2,000 people per game in a building that size generate a profit? Because we aren’t getting more than 2000 people per game. The city may be forced to force the UM to make a decision if the UM won’t on it’s own. Business is business and Tubby is costing Memphis major dollars.

Interesting article about DePaul, averaging 1,824 per game last year.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/2...s-downtown

Nobody cares about DePaul basketball, including the students.
12-07-2017 12:41 AM
TigerTodd72 Offline
1st String

(12-07-2017 12:25 AM)skunk100 Wrote:  One has to wonder at what point is the FedEx Forum LOSING money on simply being open and operational for games? Does 2,000 people per game in a building that size generate a profit? Because we aren’t getting more than 2000 people per game. The city may be forced to force the UM to make a decision if the UM won’t on it’s own. Business is business and Tubby is costing Memphis major dollars.

At some point there will be a "puke point" regarding attendance/revenue. A venue that size costs a tremendous amount just on electricity/general maintenance, cleanup, staffing, etc. Most venues that have cooperative agreements with colleges have a lease agreement, so the venue itself is covered financially, but the poor gate will greatly affect the university and the athletic dept. With that said I don't know what the agreement currently is between the venue and the college.
12-07-2017 12:42 AM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

(12-07-2017 12:19 AM)ddramone Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 12:06 AM)Joe1 Wrote:  The attendance is beyond horrible. It will most definitely doom Tubby. People are staying away in droves. There is no excitement as to what is coming next year because there’s only one player coming so far, and he’s probably a project. The administration will be forced to make a change. They can’t continue to kick the broken can down the road.

Will it ever come back? Seriously, college BB attendance has been declining for several years and the causes (DVR's, big screen TVs, too many games/tournaments, one-and-dones) are not going away anytime soon.

I remember Tic Price's last year. It was pretty bad then, but nothing like I saw last night. I know in the MSC days, it only held around 10k and occasionally there would be the pre-Christmas, weeknight game and there would be around 60% full.

The place was just a morgue last night and Tubby's personality isn't going to make it any more exciting. We've got a lame duck coach who seems to be biding his time, no recruits on the horizon, zero buzz in the city, no one in the stands and - I have to believe - season tix sales are terrible.

I remember when we played Houston in Chris Massey's senior year. Houston had maybe 800 people in the stands (the place only held 9k and it couldn't had been more than 10% full) and Greg Gaston said 'this is atrocious'. Well, I think we all know that UH basketball has been dead for this entire century and it has NEVER come back. Same with DePaul basketball.
Yes the people will come back. Has to be someone who the fans really like and generates excitement. When he brings in some really good players, the winning begins, and then the people most definitely will come.
12-07-2017 12:44 AM
Advertisement

geosnooker2000 Offline

To do what? Move back to campus? Play in the Elma Roan Field House?
12-07-2017 12:45 AM
ddramone Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-07-2017 12:45 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

Well, if only 2,000 people are gonna show up, why not? Seriously, it would be legit on campus. Gets people on campus, maybe helps with alumni giving.
12-07-2017 01:00 AM
geosnooker2000 Offline

(12-07-2017 01:00 AM)ddramone Wrote:  

Well, if only 2,000 people are gonna show up, why not? Seriously, it would be legit on campus. Gets people on campus, maybe helps with alumni giving.

That would soooo embarrassing for the players. Here they signed up to play for a "big-time" program in an NBA arena... That's not gonna work, but I agree with your point otherwise.
12-07-2017 01:05 AM
skunk100 Offline
1st String

(12-07-2017 01:05 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 01:00 AM)ddramone Wrote:  

That would soooo embarrassing for the players. Here they signed up to play for a "big-time" program in an NBA arena... That's not gonna work, but I agree with your point otherwise.

I’d rather play in a packed field house than an empty NBA arena.
12-07-2017 01:35 AM
TigerEye Offline
Das Tigerauge

I Root For: Tigers/Grizz
I've always felt like we should build a smaller 9-10k arena on campus for most games, build up a tough atmosphere to play in, and save the Forum for big games. The Forum is great if it's full and rocking, but most of the time it's just a cavern of silence during games. Smaller and more intimate is better.
12-07-2017 01:59 AM
Advertisement

72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(12-07-2017 01:59 AM)TigerEye Wrote:  I've always felt like we should build a smaller 9-10k arena on campus for most games, build up a tough atmosphere to play in, and save the Forum for big games. The Forum is great if it's full and rocking, but most of the time it's just a cavern of silence during games. Smaller and more intimate is better.

That would do wonders for the University, so I' m pretty sure it will never happen.
12-07-2017 08:15 AM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
(12-07-2017 08:15 AM)72Tiger Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 01:59 AM)TigerEye Wrote:  I've always felt like we should build a smaller 9-10k arena on campus for most games, build up a tough atmosphere to play in, and save the Forum for big games. The Forum is great if it's full and rocking, but most of the time it's just a cavern of silence during games. Smaller and more intimate is better.

That would do wonders for the University, so I' m pretty sure it will never happen.

Yep. The state of Tennessee is to busy shelling out $300 mil for renovations every 10 years for the Knoxville Vols.
12-07-2017 08:20 AM
tigerderek Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Sunshinepumpers
Hire billy d and watch attendance jump up 10-12k over night!
12-07-2017 08:29 AM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
If you hire him, they will come:
[Image: 220px-Billy_Donovan_Cuting_Final_Four_Net_Memphis.jpg]
12-07-2017 08:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.