Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis setup to dominate AAC football?
willhclark Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
Memphis setup to dominate AAC football?
Congratulations Tigers!

With Norvell locked up it would seem Memphis is now setup to dominate AAC football for years to come. There are no guarantees but Memphis appears to be in good shape. What job offer would Norvell accept to leave?

When is the last time Memphis won a Conference Championship?
12-06-2017 01:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

StatueKnight Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
RE: Memphis setup to dominate AAC football?
(12-06-2017 01:42 PM)willhclark Wrote:  Congratulations Tigers!

With Norvell locked up it would seem Memphis is now setup to dominate AAC football for years to come. There are no guarantees but Memphis appears to be in good shape. What job offer would Norvell accept to leave?

When is the last time Memphis could beat UCF let alone dominate?
12-06-2017 01:54 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
No, the league is too balanced and teams too unstable for domination by one school. However, the immediate future looks good for success by Memphis.
12-06-2017 01:59 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
I'm glad Memphis hung on to Norvell. We really need every playing at a high level next year in the negotiations.
12-06-2017 02:03 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
"Locked up". Check back on December 6th, 2018.
12-06-2017 02:08 PM
DownEastPirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
I don't think they'll dominate but they are set up for several years of 8-10 win seasons I think. Will be interesting to see what they do with RF gone.

The top of the league looks really good. The league really needs Cincy and ECU to get back to 8-9 wins and Houston to pick it up back up.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2017 02:15 PM by DownEastPirate.)
12-06-2017 02:14 PM
Advertisement

fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(12-06-2017 02:08 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  "Locked up". Check back on December 6th, 2018.

True. We had Rhule 'locked up' with a contract extension and he was gone a year later.
12-06-2017 02:20 PM
STL_Wave Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulane
The West will be interesting once again next year. Memphis is set to dominate with Norvell coming back but since when does the AAC go according to script?

Will Navy bounce back to elite level? Can Applewhite be an elite HC? Who knows what will happen at SMU? Tulsa WTF just happened?!? Can Tulane continue it's Wille Fritz ascent with a tough 2018 schedule?

Could honestly seeing any team at the top....or bottom of the division.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2017 02:21 PM by STL_Wave.)
12-06-2017 02:20 PM
willhclark Offline
1st String

(12-06-2017 01:54 PM)StatueKnight Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 01:42 PM)willhclark Wrote:  Congratulations Tigers!

When is the last time Memphis could beat UCF let alone dominate?

UCF is yesterdays news 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2017 02:27 PM by willhclark.)
12-06-2017 02:26 PM
willhclark Offline
1st String

1969 Missouri Valley Conference Billy J. Murphy 8–2 4–0

was the last outright Memphis Conf. Championship in football

The Tigers should be heavily favored to win it in 2018 for first time 48 years
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2017 02:33 PM by willhclark.)
12-06-2017 02:31 PM
St. H. Gink Offline
All American

I Root For: CollegeFootball
Not gonna happen. I wish them much success and I’m sure they’ll keep making noise in the West but UCF returns far too many weapons who were underclassmen this season, including the AAC Offensive Player of the Year.

07-coffee3
12-06-2017 02:31 PM
Advertisement

Wheatshock Offline
Aviation Addict

I Root For: Wichita
(12-06-2017 02:31 PM)St. H. Gink Wrote:  Not gonna happen. I wish them much success and I’m sure they’ll keep making noise in the West but UCF returns far too many weapons who were underclassmen this season, including the AAC Offensive Player of the Year.

07-coffee3
That assumes UCF doesn't have a bunch of guys transfer out. I hope they don't but you never know what will happen when losing a coach.
12-06-2017 02:39 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
The title of the OP brings a tear to my eye.
12-06-2017 02:42 PM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
We had a solid 2017 recruiting class and ended up redshirting 17 players so one would think next year looks pretty good. We’re losing 2 studs on offense in Riley and Miller, but we still have at least a couple young stud RBs and WRs coming back. I’m interested to see our new QB; I assume a lot will depend on how good he is.
12-06-2017 02:43 PM
RobUCF Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
1) The conference is too competitive to predict anyone "dominating" for years to come. Heck, USF was predicted to dominate this year and how'd that work out?

2) A contract extension does not lock Norvell in for years to come, it just means a larger buyout for Memphis if a school with the money comes along.

3) Don't they lose their starting QB? That's always a big question mark for any team.
12-06-2017 02:49 PM
DownEastPirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
(12-06-2017 02:43 PM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  We had a solid 2017 recruiting class and ended up redshirting 17 players so one would think next year looks pretty good. We’re losing 2 studs on offense in Riley and Miller, but we still have at least a couple young stud RBs and WRs coming back. I’m interested to see our new QB; I assume a lot will depend on how good he is.

What's up with Norvell and his recruiting class this year? A year like you guys are having you should be a lot better than 9th in the conference and 80th in the country. Basically right there with us after another 3-9 year.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2017 03:02 PM by DownEastPirate.)
12-06-2017 02:56 PM
Advertisement

St. H. Gink Offline
All American

I Root For: CollegeFootball
(12-06-2017 02:39 PM)Wheatshock Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 02:31 PM)St. H. Gink Wrote:  Not gonna happen. I wish them much success and I’m sure they’ll keep making noise in the West but UCF returns far too many weapons who were underclassmen this season, including the AAC Offensive Player of the Year.

07-coffee3
That assumes UCF doesn't have a bunch of guys transfer out. I hope they don't but you never know what will happen when losing a coach.

The players are excited about the combo of Heupel and Shannon. Randy Shannon is extremely popular among players and recruits in Florida. In addition, we’re keeping an offensive system that is essentially the same. All current commits have reiterated their commitments and many of the current players seem to be excited about what’s to come. While we may see a transfer here and there, the recruiting prowess we just brought on board should offset most of that.

07-coffee3
12-06-2017 02:59 PM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
(12-06-2017 02:56 PM)DownEastPirate Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 02:20 PM)STL_Wave Wrote:  The West will be interesting once again next year. Memphis is set to dominate with Norvell coming back but since when does the AAC go according to script?

Will Navy bounce back to elite level? Can Applewhite be an elite HC? Who knows what will happen at SMU? Tulsa WTF just happened?!? Can Tulane continue it's Wille Fritz ascent with a tough 2018 schedule?

Could honestly seeing any team at the top....or bottom of the division.

(12-06-2017 02:43 PM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  We had a solid 2017 recruiting class and ended up redshirting 17 players so one would think next year looks pretty good. We’re losing 2 studs on offense in Riley and Miller, but we still have at least a couple young stud RBs and WRs coming back. I’m interested to see our new QB; I assume a lot will depend on how good he is.

What's up with Norvell and his recruiting class this year? A year like you guys are having you should be a lot better than 9th in the conference and 80th in the country. Basically right there with us after another 3-9 year.

this year will be a small class and they are butting heads with P5's for what they are looking for. QB favorite going into spring ball will be R/Soph David Moore, a really good multi-purpose qb. reminds me a lot of Greg Ward Jr. the thinking is Norvell will bring another qb in (either sr transfer or JC) because he LOVES competition especially at qb.
12-06-2017 03:02 PM
SMUleopold Offline
1st String

I Root For: Guess, genius..
I'd argue they aren't, but that's a good thing for the conference. They lose too much to graduation to be considered 'setup' for anything.

Glad to see them reaching their potential. SUPER happy they are going to the Liberty Bowl - this bowl is tailor made to help them continue the success they've had and get more people in the Memphis community interested and passionate about the team.
12-06-2017 03:21 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Memphis might get the same treatment USF got this year; entered the season ranked but got no respect with the weak non-con. Memphis will play Mercer, Georgia State, South Alabama and Mizzou, so their big wins will have to come against UCF, Houston and Navy.
12-06-2017 03:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.