Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Four college hockey feasibility studies underway
el_norte Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: St. Cloud State
Four college hockey feasibility studies underway
There are threads discussing the announced hockey feasibility studies at Illinois and Oakland, but according to this interview with the director of College Hockey Inc there are two additional schools doing studies confidentially.

http://www.themackreport.com/college-hoc...-underway/

This means four of the five planned studies are underway now, leaving only one more available. The story also mentions another 8-10 schools having discussions about a study.

Who might the two confidential schools be and will a second round of five studies happen with the amount of interest?
12-05-2017 12:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

NoDak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UND
RE: Four college hockey feasibility studies underway
Schools near NHL cities seem to get priority. Buffalo (dropped some sports to prepare for hockey IMHO) and a PAC12 school or UNLV.
12-05-2017 02:05 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(12-05-2017 12:46 PM)el_norte Wrote:  There are threads discussing the announced hockey feasibility studies at Illinois and Oakland, but according to this interview with the director of College Hockey Inc there are two additional schools doing studies confidentially.

This means four of the five planned studies are underway now, leaving only one more available. The story also mentions another 8-10 schools having discussions about a study.

Who might the two confidential schools be and will a second round of five studies happen with the amount of interest?

I know the B1G has been pushing to expand hockey in their conference. Combine that with proximity to NHL teams and I'd guess maybe Maryland or Rutgers. Also, I thought there was some whispering about Nebraska possibly looking to add hockey as well.
12-05-2017 02:36 PM
NoDak Offline
Heisman

(12-05-2017 02:36 PM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 12:46 PM)el_norte Wrote:  There are threads discussing the announced hockey feasibility studies at Illinois and Oakland, but according to this interview with the director of College Hockey Inc there are two additional schools doing studies confidentially.

I know the B1G has been pushing to expand hockey in their conference. Combine that with proximity to NHL teams and I'd guess maybe Maryland or Rutgers. Also, I thought there was some whispering about Nebraska possibly looking to add hockey as well.

Nebraska has a rink and Iowa will soon have one, granted in nearby Coral City.
12-05-2017 02:49 PM

mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(12-05-2017 02:36 PM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  

There has been a lot of talk among the Rutgers fanbase to push for hockey. We have a long running club program that plays a pretty high level. We field 2 teams - ESCHL, CSCHC. There would be strong fan support for a sport that is widely played at the high school level in the rich suburban towns around the state. As with all things Rutgers, the lack of $$ is the tripping point. There isn't a game day suitable arena in the area and ice time at the local rinks is already at a premium. RU would need a major donor to step forward with a PSU level donation - $100m+ - to get varsity programs off of the ground.
12-05-2017 03:29 PM
NoDak Offline
Heisman

Could LIU Post be adding a DI program? It is advertising now for a varsity women's coach, and doesn't even have a women's club program. It has a men's club team, and that could be elevated and a women's program may be needed to balance Title IX. Nassau Colisuem now has seat for nearly 14,000, but doesn't have that many events.

The Atlantic Hockey Conference needs another team, and NYC and Long Island don't have a college team between them. It would be a cheap way for LIU Post to say that it has a DI team. Always thought Stony Brook or Hofstra would start a hockey team.
12-05-2017 10:53 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
1st String

I Root For:
One of the schools doing a feasibility study could be Pitt. Apparently they are looking into it and that is probably only happening if someone is funding the feasibility study. The Penguins apparently would like Pitt in PPG, at least for some games, and that is sported by this Hockey News article: http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/articl...inois-pitt

It is very unlikely Pitt would add it unless there is substantial new money coming from somewhere outside of the school to get it off the ground, otherwise it doesn't make sense for a myriad of reasons from $ to Title IX, to Pitt's primary athletic conference.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017 11:47 PM by CrazyPaco.)
12-05-2017 11:32 PM

el_norte Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: St. Cloud State
(12-05-2017 10:53 PM)NoDak Wrote:  Could LIU Post be adding a DI program? It is advertising now for a varsity women's coach, and doesn't even have a women's club program. It has a men's club team, and that could be elevated and a women's program may be needed to balance Title IX. Nassau Colisuem now has seat for nearly 14,000, but doesn't have that many events.

The Atlantic Hockey Conference needs another team, and NYC and Long Island don't have a college team between them. It would be a cheap way for LIU Post to say that it has a DI team. Always thought Stony Brook or Hofstra would start a hockey team.

Looks like they plan to add a DII women's program.

https://www.theicegarden.com/2017/12/3/1...-expansion

I agree, CAA schools like Stony Brook, Hofstra and Delaware, Rhode Island, Towson and Navy (former member) seem like natural fits. LIU would be a good hockey school in NYC, I would also like to see Columbia and Penn add teams to fill out the Ivy but I don't see Columbia ever happening.
12-05-2017 11:37 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(12-05-2017 02:05 PM)NoDak Wrote:  Schools near NHL cities seem to get priority. Buffalo (dropped some sports to prepare for hockey IMHO) and a PAC12 school or UNLV.

Buffalo dropped baseball and men's soccer. That's somewhere between 65 and 70 total male athletes and a maximum of 21.4 scholarships.
12-06-2017 12:36 AM
Huskies12 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UConn
(12-05-2017 11:37 PM)el_norte Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 10:53 PM)NoDak Wrote:  Could LIU Post be adding a DI program? It is advertising now for a varsity women's coach, and doesn't even have a women's club program. It has a men's club team, and that could be elevated and a women's program may be needed to balance Title IX. Nassau Colisuem now has seat for nearly 14,000, but doesn't have that many events.

Looks like they plan to add a DII women's program.

https://www.theicegarden.com/2017/12/3/1...-expansion

I agree, CAA schools like Stony Brook, Hofstra and Delaware, Rhode Island, Towson and Navy (former member) seem like natural fits. LIU would be a good hockey school in NYC, I would also like to see Columbia and Penn add teams to fill out the Ivy but I don't see Columbia ever happening.

I wouldn't count on Rhode Island to upgrade anything.
12-06-2017 10:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.