Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Kaplan in-game experience
Bookmark and Share
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
Recently, the hoops team score over 100 at home, and I was surprised that our scoreboard had a place for the "1" in "100".

For a glimps in how far behind we are in the in-game experience at Kaplan / The Hall, this is from yesterday at Purdue where they showcased some improvements made in the off-season:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqjy1KHQRDw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NeFyJkv5uiY

I really like how they celebrate their history with the video running on the floor. We are a history school, after all.

Just an FYI / public service announcement from yours truly.

:-)
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 07:55 AM by nj alum.)
12-04-2017 07:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LeadBolt Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: The Kaplan in-game experience
(12-04-2017 07:53 AM)nj alum Wrote:  Recently, the hoops team score over 100 at home, and I was surprised that our scoreboard had a place for the "1" in "100".

For a glimps in how far behind we are in the in-game experience at Kaplan / The Hall, this is from yesterday at Purdue where they showcased some improvements made in the off-season:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqjy1KHQRDw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NeFyJkv5uiY

I really like how they celebrate their history with the video running on the floor. We are a history school, after all.

Just an FYI / public service announcement from yours truly.

:-)

Impressive. Decades ago in the 1980's, my bride and I lived in Baltimore and attended indoor soccer games at what is now Royal Farms Arena. The Blast (an earlier version) had a hyped up pre-game opening that was not really as elaborate as the Perdue opening, but it put our butts into seats, along with decent concessions. To this day if my bride hears Celebration by Kool and the Gang she loudly exclaims "your Baltimore Blast".

We've never been to another indoor soccer game anywhere. There are people who will come for the experience. It doesn't have to be elaborate, but rather satisfying.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 08:12 AM by LeadBolt.)
12-04-2017 08:07 AM
Tribal Offline

Another shameless plug for Purdue. We aren't a Big 10 engineering school in Indiana with over 40,000 students at the main campus.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 08:25 AM by Tribal.)
12-04-2017 08:22 AM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
Ok. I am in for Tribe v. Purdue in indoor soccer at Kaplan.
12-04-2017 08:35 AM
Tribe32 Online
All American

I Root For: Tribe
No, we aren't Purdue, but our in game experience stinks unless you are referring to the crowd getting vocal once in a while. I'm excited about what Samantha Huge has done so far and her background is in marketing. I expect some things will change after she's been here for a while.
12-04-2017 09:23 AM
A Quest Called Tribe Offline
2nd String

I remember the lineups for the 09-10 team were announced to the instrumentals of Pitbull's "Hotel Room Service." Dumb, raunchy, totally forgettable song, but everyone got hyped for it... maybe that's because the team was good.

Light shows and floor projections seem a little grandiose for CAA basketball but I think we could get away with a good "pump up" video before the team takes the floor. They could get to work now and unveil it for the gold rush game. I bet the Athletics Department has some cool old footage from the early days of Kaplan or even the Blow Gym era. Weave that together with some more recent highlights... Kisielius vs VCU, Dixon vs. Hofstra, etc. All we need to round it out is a clip of a coach cutting down a net.
12-04-2017 09:30 AM
Advertisement

Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
Generally I'm not a fan of the trend toward making a college basketball game sound like a commercial for a monster truck rally. I don't need an amplified voice screaming at me to get excited.

But I have to admit that the on-floor video was fantastic!
12-04-2017 09:53 AM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(12-04-2017 09:53 AM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  Generally I'm not a fan of the trend toward making a college basketball game sound like a commercial for a monster truck rally. I don't need an amplified voice screaming at me to get excited.

But I have to admit that the on-floor video was fantastic!

I think youre in the minority overall. If done right, this greatly adds to the game. Most fans are locals without a significant investment in the Tribe, so you have to work to build it into an event. Even students are casual fans that probably need more wow factor than the thrill of beating Savannah State.

Gameday experience is lacking at all facilities. Announcers sound more like Bingo PAs than a sporting event.

Music is usually out of sync with the band and/or the game-play action. Volume modulation is off from one to the next as well, which is jarring.

Lighting in Kaplan is horrific for atmosphere of an arena and more looks like a HS gym used for PE. I dont want to see the crowd so vividly...im here to see the court (see all pro arenas/UofR renovation)
12-04-2017 10:45 AM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

Appears George Mason added video screens above their exit/entrance areas and started dimming lights in the upper seating areas this season to enhance their experience. Not sure we have space above the exit/entrance areas or flexibility in the lighting to darken the upper, unused seating, but would certainly seem like simple/creative options could be found which would not be that expensive. Would even envision a ceiling drop, high tech cloth, projection panel that could block the open end and work for a large video screen visible from most of the arena. It would, also, be usable at graduation, to bring back the Hall movie nights, etc.

I think additions can certainly be made to enhance game atmosphere without being over the top and/or commercialized. UR's Robins Center is a beautiful place to see a college game, but the intro stuff is a little too dramatic for my taste. When going to the NC State game two years ago, I kept thinking I hoped we would never cross the line of the kind of commercialization at their games. Even considering that the facility is shared with a minor pro hockey team, among other commercial events, it felt too much like a professional sports event. That said, W&M has certainly not fully tapped into the opportunity there to capture a local market that has limited major entertainment options. Ukrop's family nights at UR games used to readily fill the Robins Center due to the family ticket packages they would promote which included hot dogs/drinks. Have to believe a similar partnership could be found.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 11:48 AM by Tribeheart.)
12-04-2017 11:06 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

Not sure lights and video are above the CAA when Big South High Point did it. Perhaps it hyped their players up enough to beat us by 30.
12-04-2017 11:41 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I'd just like to add that our football stadium gets fans hyped by showing a clip from 1776. So there's always that...
12-04-2017 11:46 AM
Advertisement

Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

(12-04-2017 11:46 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  I'd just like to add that our football stadium gets fans hyped by showing a clip from 1776. So there's always that...
Maybe they can get the rights to dub in UNC, in place of Harvard, and add clips from the Phil Ford night

12-04-2017 12:18 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(12-04-2017 12:18 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 11:46 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  I'd just like to add that our football stadium gets fans hyped by showing a clip from 1776. So there's always that...
Maybe they can get the rights to dub in UNC, in place of Harvard, and add clips from the Phil Ford night

There probably are NO clips from the Phil Ford night (except the ones that periodically run in my head)......
12-04-2017 01:38 PM
Tribe4SF Offline
1st String

My hope is that Samantha's tenure will see creativity and innovation become the hallmarks of the department. The alumni fan base has had to lead in that regard in the past.
12-04-2017 02:07 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
(12-04-2017 08:22 AM)Tribal Wrote:  Another shameless plug for Purdue. We aren't a Big 10 engineering school in Indiana with over 40,000 students at the main campus.

I know I overdo the Purdue angle, but I find what they do, and what we do, fascinating because both schools tend to be conservative in a lot of what they do.

For some things, size and budget is irrelevant. It's simply a matter of getting things done.

In football, Purdue just got permanent lights this year and plays on grass. It can be argued that, in these areas, Purdue has been behind the times, even behind the Tribe.

In football, Purdue is selling alcohol in the stadium. At W&M, this is sacrilege.

In both football and hoops, Purdue has pretty good video capabilities. The same can not be said for the Tribe.

The beauty of the original links is that Purdue can project video on their scoreboard and on their floor. The Tribe can do neither. I'll settle for just one at the Hall / Kap.
12-04-2017 02:32 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

So, Wofford has a new 3400 seat basketball arena this fall, and opened with South Carolina, as well as, games with Georgia Tech and Harvard, all at home. Where there's a will, there's a way.....

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2017 01:23 PM by Tribeheart.)
12-06-2017 12:19 PM
Advertisement

Tribester Offline
Banned

WHAT?!? I was told that having a Power 5 team agree to play AT a mid major was IMPOSSIBLE! This must be fake news
12-06-2017 01:01 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(12-06-2017 12:19 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  So, Wofford has a new 3400 seat basketball arena this fall, and opened with South Carolina, as well as, games with Georgia Tech and Harvard, all at home. Where there's a will, there's a way.....

That is absolutely incredible. Seriously, how did they do that?
12-06-2017 01:35 PM
Tribe32 Online
All American

I Root For: Tribe
I don't know about Harvard, but both USC and Georgia Tech recruit in the area where Wofford is located and it is an easy bus drive to the game. You can gain brand awareness, recruit some kids, and beat the crap out of Wofford.
12-06-2017 01:48 PM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

(12-06-2017 01:48 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  I don't know about Harvard, but both USC and Georgia Tech recruit in the area where Wofford is located and it is an easy bus drive to the game. You can gain brand awareness, recruit some kids, and beat the crap out of Wofford.

So if I'm getting your drift, you feel that we should be able to persuade schools recruiting the 757 to play in the 'burg?
12-06-2017 01:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.