WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Strengths and Weaknesses Going Into 2018
Stampede your face!! Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
Strengths and Weaknesses Going Into 2018
What do you guys think will be the strengths of the team and the weaknesses going into next year?

I think our running game will be a strength once again. Despite losing Chukes, everyone else returns, and we will have a lot of competition and guys in the mix. We do have plenty of guys to still carry the ball coming back. Bogan, Tucker, Walker and freshman Brown if he signs. Bellamy and Falcon if they are healthy enough.

Weakness: Safety play. I'm a little worried here. Ginwright and Tranquill (especially) will be coming off serious injury. Tranquill to the point of wondering if he can continue to play. Claiborne shows some flashes, and I think Tanner was hurt or something. Either way, these guys were out of position way too much or missed tackles, etc...AJ Thomas was a freshman this year forced into duty. We seem to lack depth here. I wish we would see Lester move a guy like Hunter Broersma to safety since it doesn't appear that he is going to get time as a receiver.
12-03-2017 09:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
RE: Strengths and Weaknesses Going Into 2018
AJ Thomas wasn’t forced into duty. He’s probably the best athlete on the team.
12-03-2017 09:24 PM
Broncos83 Online
All American

Does anyone have a full list of this year's freshmen that redshirted? Some may have played and I just missed it. I think we were able to redshirt somewhere between 10-15 of the incoming 2017 freshmen including 3-4 freshmen LBs that I've heard good things about (plus the LB transfer from Rutgers). Would be a good topic for a newspaper beat writer if we actually had one that is!
12-03-2017 09:35 PM
All American

(12-03-2017 09:35 PM)Broncos83 Wrote:  Does anyone have a full list of this year's freshmen that redshirted? Some may have played and I just missed it. I think we were able to redshirt somewhere between 10-15 of the incoming 2017 freshmen including 3-4 freshmen LBs that I've heard good things about (plus the LB transfer from Rutgers). Would be a good topic for a newspaper beat writer if we actually had one that is!

Could take a stab off the top of my head.

QB Chris Riddle
RB Prince Walker
WR Jay Hall
WR Ryan Lezzer
OL All of them: Campbell, Dellinger, Deatherage, Elazazy, O'mara
DL: Tanner Mathias, Dez Lance
LB: Tanner Motz, Derrick Hubbard, Corvin Moment
DB: KJ Anderson
12-03-2017 09:44 PM
Broncos83 Online
All American

Thanks! I think you're definitely in the ballpark. Glad we were able to hold back all the O-linemen and some LBs.
12-03-2017 10:15 PM
All American

(12-03-2017 10:15 PM)Broncos83 Wrote:  Thanks! I think you're definitely in the ballpark. Glad we were able to hold back all the O-linemen and some LBs.

It's probably pretty close, unfortunately though I think sometimes guys like Hubbard might have burned a redshirt on special teams and we don't really know it.
12-03-2017 10:42 PM
Advertisement

flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

I still don't see a HUGE improvement at WR next season. Both QB and WR play will be "better" but I dont expect us to be throwing with much success again next year.

Biggest area of concern is going to be LB. I worry that we may get gashed on the ground defensively next season losing Spillane and Brown... We will really need the backend of that defense to do work next season. Hopefully with another year in the system will allow guys to play a little faster having greater understanding of the schemes and roles within those schemes.

I think our running game will be decent again, but losing Jarvion is going to hurt... He's the only one we could keep healthy this season. Bogan tends to cough up the rock too often and Bellamy can't keep himself on the field... OL should be strong again even losing Chukes but must improve in order to protect the QB... I hope we see some overall improvement in efficiency on offense and we keep the defense on the sideline more often next season... Need to get back to that ball control offense that was so important to our success prior to Lester.
12-04-2017 08:57 AM
BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

I see a huge improvement at WR. Watson will come into his own, Ricci played hurt until they shut him down. Eskridge shows signs, he'll be a junior next season. Sanders will put on 15# and be All MAC before he leaves. I really expect to see a 5th year transfer at this position to help the kids develop. Some good recruits coming in also. The kid from Knoxville will get playing time, he is a speedster.
12-04-2017 09:10 AM
broncofan1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Broncos
I'll be curious to see who steps into the TE position. Ernsberger has been an excellent blocking and receiving TE for us, and will be hard to replace. With the shaky production from our WR's, an outlet TE will be critical to further developing Wassink/Goddard.
12-04-2017 09:46 AM
RunningGame Offline
All American

I don't think LB is going to be a weakness. Spears and Grace have a lot of experience, and played a lot this season. Lester at one point said Clayton has been "unblockable" on the scout team, so I imagine we may be even more talented, if not as experienced.

Until the passing game proves itself, it's the offensive weakness. The running game will continue to be a strength, which gives us a good shot. If we can put together a true threat or two in the passing game, we can open up some running lanes again. Talk about the polar opposite of a Cubit-style offense!

I am too worried about the injured safeties on defense. I think a more consistent pass rush is the biggest weakness on defense, perhaps Clayton can reprise the role of Ameer Ismail for us, which made the 4-3 attack shine the last time we ran it.

Special teams will probably remain a strength, but who is our returner? Watson? That remains to be seen, Phillips was a gigantic weapon for us.
12-04-2017 09:49 AM
WesternSkillet Offline
All American

I Root For: LU
(12-04-2017 09:46 AM)broncofan1 Wrote:  I'll be curious to see who steps into the TE position. Ernsberger has been an excellent blocking and receiving TE for us, and will be hard to replace. With the shaky production from our WR's, an outlet TE will be critical to further developing Wassink/Goddard.

Sadly, no more sister hugs.
12-04-2017 10:00 AM
Advertisement

broncofan1 Offline
All American

(12-04-2017 10:00 AM)WesternSkillet Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 09:46 AM)broncofan1 Wrote:  I'll be curious to see who steps into the TE position. Ernsberger has been an excellent blocking and receiving TE for us, and will be hard to replace. With the shaky production from our WR's, an outlet TE will be critical to further developing Wassink/Goddard.

Sadly, no more sister hugs.

Ha! At least we had one highlight this year that made national news.
12-04-2017 10:17 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

RB, DL, OL, and maybe even QB should be our strengths next year.

Very concerned about WR/TE, LB/secondary,, and special teams heading into next year.

Sadly, I’m already setting my expectations very low. I’m thinking we will very likely be 6-6/7-5 at best next year.
12-04-2017 10:21 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

Keishawn Watson looked to have the most potential of being a solid "go to" threat. Interested to see how he progresses next year.
12-04-2017 10:29 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(12-04-2017 10:21 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  RB, DL, OL, and maybe even QB should be our strengths next year.

Very concerned about WR/TE, LB/secondary,, and special teams heading into next year.

Sadly, I’m already setting my expectations very low. I’m thinking we will very likely be 6-6/7-5 at best next year.

Go where your heart takes you 03-cloud9

Gopherhole.com
12-04-2017 10:52 AM
broncofan1 Offline
All American

(12-04-2017 10:52 AM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 10:21 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  RB, DL, OL, and maybe even QB should be our strengths next year.

Go where your heart takes you 03-cloud9

Gopherhole.com

And what are your expectations?
12-04-2017 11:16 AM
Advertisement

Bronco XXVIII Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WMU!
I am concerned about the RB position. I know Bellamy and Bogan are very talented, but both have had season-ending injuries the past TWO seasons. And they will have to assume more workload with JF gone. Can't help us much if they can't stay on the field.
12-05-2017 05:43 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(12-05-2017 05:43 PM)Bronco XXVIII Wrote:  I am concerned about the RB position. I know Bellamy and Bogan are very talented, but both have had season-ending injuries the past TWO seasons. And they will have to assume more workload with JF gone. Can't help us much if they can't stay on the field.

Losing Franklin is a blow for sure, but I think the depth is still there. Haven't heard about Falcon's status but thats a possibility and Prince Walker apparently had a really good redshirt year on the scout team. Heck, Chase Brown looks like a great recruit and it's definitely a position where newcomers can make an immediate impact.
12-05-2017 06:33 PM
All American

(12-05-2017 06:33 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 05:43 PM)Bronco XXVIII Wrote:  I am concerned about the RB position. I know Bellamy and Bogan are very talented, but both have had season-ending injuries the past TWO seasons. And they will have to assume more workload with JF gone. Can't help us much if they can't stay on the field.

Losing Franklin is a blow for sure, but I think the depth is still there. Haven't heard about Falcon's status but thats a possibility and Prince Walker apparently had a really good redshirt year on the scout team. Heck, Chase Brown looks like a great recruit and it's definitely a position where newcomers can make an immediate impact.

Not to mention you could potentially put Dee Eskeridge in the backfield if needed.
12-05-2017 08:46 PM
BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

(12-05-2017 08:46 PM)Stampede your face!! Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 06:33 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  

Not to mention you could potentially put Dee Eskeridge in the backfield if needed.

Won't happen. He's 175#
12-06-2017 08:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.