Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UCONN Starter Alterique Gilbert Suffers Season Ending Injury
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
MyBB UCONN Starter Alterique Gilbert Suffers Season Ending Injury
After re-injurying his shoulder in the Michigan State game, it looks like he won't be back on the court this season (and possibly ever). Poor young man. He played limited minutes in the Arkansas game and missed both games vs Columbia & Monmouth.

AAC Freshman of the Year up for grabs.

The fun of being a UCONN MBB fan...
12-03-2017 08:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

I Root For: Competitive FB
Well there goes our season... well, it was never really there so nvm..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-03-2017 08:20 AM
SadderBudweiser Offline
1st String

I Root For: $$$$MU
RE: UCONN Starter Alterique Gilbert Suffers Season Ending Injury
You know....when Ollie recruited him and the Boneyard declared him the next Jason Kidd, I said to myself...."Self....this guy is damaged goods. Very talented damaged goods but he may be done already."

i really feel for the kid but not for KO.

FWIW...we gambled similarly on Jarrey Foster's knee. You win some, you lose some.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 10:12 AM by SadderBudweiser.)
12-03-2017 10:10 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
I don't follow UConn hoops much these days, but four years ago when Ollie "led" UConn to the national title, i said that it was really Calhoun's title, that Ollie just was the caretaker for Calhoun's players and that pretty soon it would become apparent that he isn't up to the job. I got raked over the coals by UConn fans for saying that, Ollie had loads of defenders who rushed to bash me.

Is that even controversial any more among UConn fans?
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 10:15 AM by quo vadis.)
12-03-2017 10:14 AM
PonyExpressHoops Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: SMU
(12-03-2017 08:19 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  After re-injurying his shoulder in the Michigan State game, it looks like he won't be back on the court this season (and possibly ever). Poor young man. He played limited minutes in the Arkansas game and missed both games vs Columbia & Monmouth.

AAC Freshman of the Year up for grabs.

The fun of being a UCONN MBB fan...

Is there a legit concern he won't play again?
12-03-2017 11:50 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(12-03-2017 10:14 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I don't follow UConn hoops much these days, but four years ago when Ollie "led" UConn to the national title, i said that it was really Calhoun's title, that Ollie just was the caretaker for Calhoun's players and that pretty soon it would become apparent that he isn't up to the job. I got raked over the coals by UConn fans for saying that, Ollie had loads of defenders who rushed to bash me.

The argument just doesn't hold up when you really break it down. Of you're saying that title was a product of Calhoun and Ollie had little to do with it, you're saying one of two things - either that Ollie can't recruit effectively enough to compete at this level, or that that UConn team was so overwhelmingly talented that all they needed was someone to roll the ball out there and get out of the way.

We know that the ability to recruit isn't the issue, relatively speaking - UConn's pretty consistently been at the top of the recruiting rankings in the AAC the last several years, so they have the physical talent to finish near the top of the league on an annual basis.

As far as the 2014 UConn team just being a steamroller that would have won no matter who was on the roster - I just don't see it. Off the top of my head Florida was the senior-heavy team billed as perhaps one of the best college teams in recent history and Kentucky was the squad with overwhelming physical tools that needed to be harnessed. UConn had two sub-6'0" point guards with admittedly well-developed games and a frontcourt-by-committee that managed to get the job done - that team winning the title doesn't happen unless the guy pushing the buttons gets some things right.

Also worth noting that that was Ollie's second season as HC after losing some starters to transfer because of a postseason ban, so the idea that Calhoun just handed him a roster in October ready to compete doesn't track either.

The whole Ollie saga has been weird, as the 2014 team was an underdog that won the national title and the 2016 team won the conference and could have made at least a sweet sixteen run had they not gotten a 1-seed in the round of 32, but there have been flat out bad other seasons (last year most notably) and the program is trending down overall. "2014 was actually Calhoun's title" has too much going against it to hold up though. It's entirely possible for someone to do a good job and then several years later do a bad job.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 03:04 PM by Bogg.)
12-03-2017 03:03 PM
Advertisement

huskiesnyc Offline
Bench Warmer

Stating a season ending injury as fact with 0 sources of a player of a team you supposedly root for. Pathetic. Nothing has been decided surgery wise and Gilbert will suit up next game. The OP is a loser.
12-03-2017 06:39 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(12-03-2017 06:39 PM)huskiesnyc Wrote:  Stating a season ending injury as fact with 0 sources of a player of a team you supposedly root for. Pathetic. Nothing has been decided surgery wise and Gilbert will suit up next game. The OP is a loser.

Resorting to name calling? That's real mature. Notice I said "looks like." And he will still very likely need surgery. He is choosing against having it at the moment. You are a casual poster and casual fan. Probably also an Ollie apologist. Please be invisible again on this board.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 06:47 PM by HuskyU.)
12-03-2017 06:46 PM
huskiesnyc Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-03-2017 06:46 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 06:39 PM)huskiesnyc Wrote:  Stating a season ending injury as fact with 0 sources of a player of a team you supposedly root for. Pathetic. Nothing has been decided surgery wise and Gilbert will suit up next game. The OP is a loser.

Resorting to name calling? That's real mature. Notice I said "looks like." And he will still very likely need surgery. He is choosing against having it at the moment. You are a casual poster and casual fan. Probably also an Ollie apologist. Please be invisible again on this board.

You are a joke. No where in the subject line did you say “looks like”. I’m in no way an Ollie apologist but I don’t make up fake rumors about kids injuries, scumbag. I know members of the staff and it’s undecided...
12-03-2017 08:12 PM
Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

(12-03-2017 08:12 PM)huskiesnyc Wrote:  

You are a joke. No where in the subject line did you say “looks like”. I’m in no way an Ollie apologist but I don’t make up fake rumors about kids injuries, scumbag. I know members of the staff and it’s undecided...

we are turning on each other...we need to band together lol.
12-03-2017 08:14 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

LOL. Again with the name calling...

LOL. The good ole "I know someone who knows..."

LOL. Ollie apologist.

It's past your bedtime. I hear you're learning more of the alphabet tomorrow. I hope that helps with your reading comprehension.
12-03-2017 08:17 PM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(12-03-2017 08:14 PM)Huskypride Wrote:  

we are turning on each other...we need to band together lol.

I must have hit a soft-spot. His face prolly look like:

[Image: ollie.jpg]
12-03-2017 08:22 PM
SadderBudweiser Offline
1st String

(12-03-2017 03:03 PM)Bogg Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 10:14 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I don't follow UConn hoops much these days, but four years ago when Ollie "led" UConn to the national title, i said that it was really Calhoun's title, that Ollie just was the caretaker for Calhoun's players and that pretty soon it would become apparent that he isn't up to the job. I got raked over the coals by UConn fans for saying that, Ollie had loads of defenders who rushed to bash me.

The argument just doesn't hold up when you really break it down. Of you're saying that title was a product of Calhoun and Ollie had little to do with it, you're saying one of two things - either that Ollie can't recruit effectively enough to compete at this level, or that that UConn team was so overwhelmingly talented that all they needed was someone to roll the ball out there and get out of the way.

We know that the ability to recruit isn't the issue, relatively speaking - UConn's pretty consistently been at the top of the recruiting rankings in the AAC the last several years, so they have the physical talent to finish near the top of the league on an annual basis.

As far as the 2014 UConn team just being a steamroller that would have won no matter who was on the roster - I just don't see it. Off the top of my head Florida was the senior-heavy team billed as perhaps one of the best college teams in recent history and Kentucky was the squad with overwhelming physical tools that needed to be harnessed. UConn had two sub-6'0" point guards with admittedly well-developed games and a frontcourt-by-committee that managed to get the job done - that team winning the title doesn't happen unless the guy pushing the buttons gets some things right.

Also worth noting that that was Ollie's second season as HC after losing some starters to transfer because of a postseason ban, so the idea that Calhoun just handed him a roster in October ready to compete doesn't track either.

The whole Ollie saga has been weird, as the 2014 team was an underdog that won the national title and the 2016 team won the conference and could have made at least a sweet sixteen run had they not gotten a 1-seed in the round of 32, but there have been flat out bad other seasons (last year most notably) and the program is trending down overall. "2014 was actually Calhoun's title" has too much going against it to hold up though. It's entirely possible for someone to do a good job and then several years later do a bad job.

You can take 2016 out of your argument. SMU had to sit out the conference tournament. You know we own you in that little annual party....right? Ollie would have botched that one too. Guy can’t coach..... period.
12-04-2017 07:30 AM
Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

(12-04-2017 07:30 AM)SadderBudweiser Wrote:  

You can take 2016 out of your argument. SMU had to sit out the conference tournament. You know we own you in that little annual party....right? Ollie would have botched that one too. Guy can’t coach..... period.

No matter whats going on. Each year besides lAst year. we have made it to the finals of the aac conference tournament. But i do agree you would have probably beat us. But we were on a special run in 2016, so who really knows. But i do agree ollie needs to go!

12-04-2017 07:36 AM
SadderBudweiser Offline
1st String

(12-04-2017 07:36 AM)Huskypride Wrote:  

No matter whats going on. Each year besides lAst year. we have made it to the finals of the aac conference tournament. But i do agree you would have probably beat us. But we were on a special run in 2016, so who really knows. But i do agree ollie needs to go!

I don’t put much stock in The woulda/coulda/shoulda arguments. It woulda been a good game. Simple fact is that Ollie is dragging a once great program towards the trash bin. I was a big UCONN fan in the Big East glory days and when SMU was clueless. I’d like to be more supportive now but.... dude’s gotta go.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 08:07 AM by SadderBudweiser.)
12-04-2017 08:06 AM
Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

(12-04-2017 08:06 AM)SadderBudweiser Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 07:36 AM)Huskypride Wrote:  

I don’t put much stock in The woulda/coulda/shoulda arguments. It woulda been a good game. Simple fact is that Ollie is dragging a once great program towards the trash bin. I was a big UCONN fan in the Big East glory days and when SMU was clueless. I’d like to be more supportive now but.... dude’s gotta go.

Thr big east feels like such a distant memory now. Like i feel like i have been to spoiled fan wise in that conference. In the big east I didn't have to worry about conference rpi or if people will actually show up to the UConn football games. In the big east i expected top level play from both UConn basketball teams and i usually got it. Now i have worry if we can beat Low level team in ot... and i dont even get me started on the state of football program.

12-04-2017 08:18 AM
Advertisement

SadderBudweiser Offline
1st String

The old Big East was awesome. A steady diet of rock fights and rivalries that meant something. Proximity helped fuel that.

I can only hope that JetBlue and the AAC RE-kindle as much of that as possible.
12-04-2017 08:52 AM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
It's pretty sad because I went to a lot of old Big East football games and they were pretty good it was usually a packed house at Rentschler Field
Basketball recruiting has definitely taken a hit the question is can ollie run the show at UConn, I believe the answer to that is no I'm losing or lost confidence

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 09:26 AM by Stookey57.)
12-04-2017 09:25 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

Guys guys...

Let's not get off topic here. This thread is about Gilbert and/or me being a scumbag.

Thanks!
12-04-2017 09:31 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame

You did say "looks like" in the text, just not the title, and your post shows no edits. Where I come from, OP posts include the body of the text, not just the title, lol.
12-04-2017 09:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.