Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arkansas coming after Gus Malzahn...
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: da Ville/ACC
Arkansas coming after Gus Malzahn...
From the article...I have a feeling Jimbo Fisher set the market for this kind of move...:

The Arkansas football coaching search is likely to accelerate significantly.

The Razorbacks are expected to make an offer Saturday night to Auburn coach Gus Malzahn, whose team lost 28-7 to Georgia in the SEC Championship Game, a source with knowledge of the search told SEC Country.

If Arkansas is unable to lure Malzahn to Fayetteville, the source said the Razorbacks will immediately shift focus to Memphis coach Mike Norvell. Memphis lost to Central Florida, 62-55 in double overtime, in the American Athletic Conference title game Saturday afternoon.

Malzahn has long been thought to be Arkansas’ top target, but the source indicated Arkansas would not have pursued him had Auburn (10-3) won the SEC championship Saturday. In that scenario, Auburn would have almost certainly earned a College Football Playoff berth, essentially making Malzahn unattainable from a timing standpoint.

Although Auburn’s loss to Georgia has opened the door for the Razorbacks, it will take a significant financial commitment for Arkansas to pry him away from the Tigers.

Malzahn currently has a base salary of $4.725 million annually, according to the USA Today salary database, with three years remaining on his current contract. His buyout is just less than $7 million, a figure for which the Razorbacks will have to account.

Arkansas is already reportedly paying former coach Bret Bielema an $11.8 million buyout. The Razorbacks were paying Bielema $4.2 million annually at the time of his firing. As things stand now, Arkansas also must pay former athletic director Jeff Long $4.625 million in buyout money

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arka...ke-norvell
12-02-2017 08:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Arkansas coming after Gus Malzahn...
(12-02-2017 08:36 PM)Maize Wrote:  From the article...I have a feeling Jimbo Fisher set the market for this kind of move...:

The Arkansas football coaching search is likely to accelerate significantly.

The Razorbacks are expected to make an offer Saturday night to Auburn coach Gus Malzahn, whose team lost 28-7 to Georgia in the SEC Championship Game, a source with knowledge of the search told SEC Country.

If Arkansas is unable to lure Malzahn to Fayetteville, the source said the Razorbacks will immediately shift focus to Memphis coach Mike Norvell. Memphis lost to Central Florida, 62-55 in double overtime, in the American Athletic Conference title game Saturday afternoon.

Malzahn has long been thought to be Arkansas’ top target, but the source indicated Arkansas would not have pursued him had Auburn (10-3) won the SEC championship Saturday. In that scenario, Auburn would have almost certainly earned a College Football Playoff berth, essentially making Malzahn unattainable from a timing standpoint.

Although Auburn’s loss to Georgia has opened the door for the Razorbacks, it will take a significant financial commitment for Arkansas to pry him away from the Tigers.

Malzahn currently has a base salary of $4.725 million annually, according to the USA Today salary database, with three years remaining on his current contract. His buyout is just less than $7 million, a figure for which the Razorbacks will have to account.

Arkansas is already reportedly paying former coach Bret Bielema an $11.8 million buyout. The Razorbacks were paying Bielema $4.2 million annually at the time of his firing. As things stand now, Arkansas also must pay former athletic director Jeff Long $4.625 million in buyout money

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arka...ke-norvell

Two words for you that should be familiar to you: Jimmy Sexton who is also Malzahn's agent. He does this to every school who has a coach he represents. If Gus doesn't extort a raise from Auburn I hope he enjoys Arkansas. Once again he has ridden injured players until they've broken down. I think we can do much better. If he stays he stays.

Sexton released this information about Arkansas's priority last week so it's old news, and old ploy, and who knows where it goes. As long as Auburn keeps Kevin Steele on staff I'll be happy.
12-02-2017 08:44 PM
msm96wolf Online
All American

I Root For:
Is Arkansas really a better job than Arkansas? I guess if Arkansas is willing to do a Texas A&M, I would get why Malzahn would bolt.
12-02-2017 09:16 PM
HeartOfDixie Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(12-02-2017 09:16 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Is Arkansas really a better job than Arkansas? I guess if Arkansas is willing to do a Texas A&M, I would get why Malzahn would bolt.

Hmmmmm... that sounds like a very deep question.

Who is the self?

...pondering the mysteries of the universe, is Arkansas better than Arkansas?

All joking aside, you have a higher ceiling at Arkansas but day-to-day most coaches would agree Auburn is the better job.
12-02-2017 09:27 PM

msm96wolf Online
All American

I Root For:
[Image: 3a116884945f870924f1ffd3f36fc015--los-si...impson.jpg]
12-02-2017 11:07 PM
LR Eagle Online
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
(12-02-2017 09:16 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Is Arkansas really a better job than Arkansas? I guess if Arkansas is willing to do a Texas A&M, I would get why Malzahn would bolt.

Malzahn played HS and college football in AR and has spent most of his coaching career there outside of stops at Tulsa and Auburn. That could play into a decision.
12-02-2017 11:28 PM
shere khan Offline
AAC Troll Emeritus

I Root For: Memphis
(12-02-2017 09:27 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

Hmmmmm... that sounds like a very deep question.

Who is the self?

...pondering the mysteries of the universe, is Arkansas better than Arkansas?

All joking aside, you have a higher ceiling at Arkansas but day-to-day most coaches would agree Auburn is the better job.

Love you.... but arkansas couldn't carry auburns jock strap
12-03-2017 12:11 AM

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Game
Auburn will likely offer Malzahn more money. The could put him near $6 million. Arkansas would need to offer $1-2 million on top of that plus $5 million or so for staff.

I Malzhan worth that? Does Arkansas have that kind of money? Does the other Arkansas have that kind of money?

I honestly don't know the answers.
12-03-2017 12:17 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(12-03-2017 12:17 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  Auburn will likely offer Malzahn more money. The could put him near $6 million. Arkansas would need to offer $1-2 million on top of that plus $5 million or so for staff.

I Malzhan worth that? Does Arkansas have that kind of money? Does the other Arkansas have that kind of money?

I honestly don't know the answers.

And then there's the matter of buyouts. It's just Jimmy Sexton's push for his commission. So they might could land Gus for 7 million, but that's just the beginning. The buyout comes next and that means that they have to jack it up even more to cover what Gus might have to pay to leave early.

But, since Florida State's going to be in the mix for another coach there's a good chance we get some more significant movement so maybe Auburn let's Gus go for the buyout and uses that cash to muscle up on a new coach.

We'll see.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 12:39 AM by JRsec.)
12-03-2017 12:37 AM
billybobby777 Offline
Fighting the cartel 5

I Root For: ECU, Army

It’s a good question to ask. In the end, I’d say Arkansas is indeed a a better job than Arkansas. I got a disgusting feeling Arkansas gets Memphis HC.
12-03-2017 08:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.