Countdown To Kickoff:
Season Tickets

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Blazer Almanac - December 2 - Regret
Bookmark and Share
Memphis Blazer Offline
Lifelong member of the general public

I Root For: Acts grown old

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
December 2

December 2 is a day of regret. Three Blazer related events happened on December 2 that most likely have led to regret.

* I'm sure Wimp Sanderson regrets December 2, 1987 when in a live radio interview with Herb Winches, and discussing the possibility of UAB playing Alabama, depending on the version of the story you hear, Wimp either called Gene Bartow, UAB fans or the media a c**ksucker on live radio.

*Following the news that broke in 2017, The Alabama Sports Hall of Fame probably regrets the decision it made in December 2, 2007 when it inducted former Blazer Great Oliver Robinson into the Hall of Fame. And the phrase "former Blazer great" is true on several levels.

*And everyone involved, the fans, players, Ray Watts and the BOT probably regrets the decision made on December 2, 2014, when it was decided to disband the UAB football program. For the fans and players, two years of memories and good times were lost. For Ray Watts and the BOT, they stirred up a hornets nest, which ultimately led to the scrambling to save face and restore the program.

UAB Basketball
One thing there isn't regret about on this day is the record for December 2. UAB is a perfect 6-0 on this date.

*1978 - UAB gains its first ever road win with a win over Eastern Kentucky 87-77 in the Show Me Classic in Columbia Missouri.

*1983 - UAB defeats Auburn 69-62 in overtime in front of the largest crowd to watch two teams from Alabama to play. Chuck Person tied the game at 60 with four minutes to go, but neither team could score for the rest of regulation. The futility included Auburn receiving a technical for calling a timeout when they were out of timeouts, and UAB missing both technical free throws. In overtime, freshman Steve Mitchell would finally break the tie when he hit 4 free throws to give the Blazers the win.

*1987 - UAB defeats Bethune Cookman 64-41.
*2004 - UAB defeats Nebraska 80-66.

*2006 - UAB won at Cincinnati as Paul Delaney scored 8 points in the final 31 seconds to give the Blazers a 59-57 win. Cincinnati had led 56-51 with 36.9 seconds to go when Delaney hit a three pointer and a bank shot in a crowd of defenders. A three point play with 7.9 seconds to go gave UAB the lead. Frank Holmes preserved the lead by blocking a potential game winning shot out of bounds.

*2009 - UAB defeated Middle Tennessee 65-64.

Blazer Birthdays
Born today in 1968 is an unsung player who had some great games for UAB, but because he only played one year, he is barely remembered. Stan Rose played at UAB for one year during the 1990-91 season. He came to UAB from Utah Valley State, and was immediately an impact player for the Blazers. He and Elbert Rogers were a strong rebounding tandem. Rose averaged 9.6 points and 4.6 rebounds per game. His best game was a 31 point performance against Southern University. After his junior year with UAB, Rose transferred to Weber State University for his senior year. During the 1992-93 season, he led the Big Sky conference in scoring and was second in the conference in rebounding. After college, he played in the USBL and the CBA and then several years overseas.
12-02-2017 07:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

ndjs22 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UAB
I had to do some reading about Wimp's comments, since somehow I'd never heard about it. Here's some backstory on it from this forum: http://csnbbs.com/thread-576536.html
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2017 11:13 AM by ndjs22.)
12-02-2017 11:12 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Lifelong member of the general public

I Root For: Acts grown old

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Blazer Almanac - December 2 - Regret
I found more info online. Apparently the original controversy was over conflicting practice times on Friday before the games on Saturday. Wimp had asked Bartow to move his practice time because Alabama played earlier. Bartow reportedly responded that they would move the practice time if Wimp would agree to put UAB on the schedule. 03-lmfao
12-02-2017 11:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.