Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Best Recruiting and Developing Talent Head Coach at NIU in the Past 25 Years
Bookmark and Share
Captain Huskie Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU Huskies
I did a quick analysis of NIU All American selections for the last 25 years to determine who was NIU’s best recruiting and developing talent coach.
Here are my Picks:

#1 Joe Novak 1996-2007

Recruited and developed All Americans:
Ryan Diem
Justin McCareins
Steve Azar
Dan Sheldon
Michael Turner (Huskie Legend) One of NIU’s greatest players
Garrett Wolfe (Huskie Legend) One of NIU’s greatest players
Sam Hurd
Doug Free
Larry English (Huskie Legend) One of NIU’s greatest players
Scott Wedige (Recruited)
Chandler Harnish (Recruited)

#2 Charlie Sadler 1991-1995

LeShon Johnson (Huskie Legend) One of NIU’s greatest players
Brad Capes
Brian Steger
Steve Wild
Gerald Nickelberry
Tim O’Brien
Raymond Roberts
Chris O’Neal

#3 Jerry Kill 2008-2010

Jordan Lynch (Huskie Legend) One of NIU’s greatest players (Recruited)
Jimmy Ward (Recruited)
Chandler Harnish (Developed)

#4 Dave Doeren 2011-2012

Tommie Lee Lewis (Recruited)
Jordan Lynch (Developed)
Jimmy Ward (Developed)

Rod Carey 2013-Present

Shawun Lurry
Sutton Smith (Will make an All American list)

Your thoughts?
12-01-2017 11:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

golf4501 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: Best Recruiting and Developing Talent Head Coach at NIU in the Past 25 Years
1 and 2 are both coaches with losing overall records and to place Sadler, who was an absolutely a joke as a coach, on any list is a laughable.
12-01-2017 11:54 PM
nucyberdawg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
RE: Best Recruiting and Developing Talent Head Coach at NIU in the Past 25 Years
I agree he may be laughable as our HC but you cannot ignore the data and question posed above.

You want laughable. Clown Corso.
12-02-2017 02:19 AM
StevenNIU Offline
1st String

Just imagine what Kill or Doeren could have done if we could have kept them longer.
12-02-2017 06:21 AM
nucyberdawg Offline
2nd String

(12-02-2017 06:21 AM)StevenNIU Wrote:  Just imagine what Kill or Doeren could have done if we could have kept them longer.

reminds me of the snit fans had re: how Kill handled his departure with his team. It was same with Jimbo.
12-02-2017 07:00 AM
golf4501 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-02-2017 02:19 AM)nucyberdawg Wrote:  I agree he may be laughable as our HC but you cannot ignore the data and question posed above.

I'm pretty sure LeShon was a Pettibone recruit. Sadler brought in a ton of questionable individuals. Ask Joe about the 30 or so players he dismissed in his first year due to that fact. I still remember his story of how he walked into the coaches office on day 1 and there were players carrying guns. That was part of the issue he started with, the cupboard was totally bare.

I'd have to look closer but won't be surprised if more players listed were actually Pettibone recruits. Jerry knew how to recruit and was actually building something when he left for Oregon State.

I took this as another lets throw Carey under the bus post as this board does nothing but that.
12-02-2017 09:17 AM
Advertisement

Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

It can get pretty subjective on the "developed" part since some guys reached all American in their last season under a new coach. Wedige was recruited by Novak, developed under Kill, then reached all American his last season with Doeren. TommyLee was recruited by Doeren but made all American under Carey. I'm guessing that's why you have some who just get credit for recruited and left out their developed status due to no clear answer to whom deserved the credit.
12-02-2017 09:35 AM
Captain Huskie Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-02-2017 09:17 AM)golf4501 Wrote:  
(12-02-2017 02:19 AM)nucyberdawg Wrote:  I agree he may be laughable as our HC but you cannot ignore the data and question posed above.

I'm pretty sure LeShon was a Pettibone recruit. Sadler brought in a ton of questionable individuals. Ask Joe about the 30 or so players he dismissed in his first year due to that fact. I still remember his story of how he walked into the coaches office on day 1 and there were players carrying guns. That was part of the issue he started with, the cupboard was totally bare.

I'd have to look closer but won't be surprised if more players listed were actually Pettibone recruits. Jerry knew how to recruit and was actually building something when he left for Oregon State.

I took this as another lets throw Carey under the bus post as this board does nothing but that.

First and foremost, LeShon Johnson was a Charlie Sadler recruit. See link below.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeShon_Johnson

Please get your facts straight. Next, Joe Novak dismissing players is no different than the issues PJ is going through in Minnesota. A new coach with different offensive and defensive schemes will always have issues with established players. A common occurrence.

Last and most important, Why is every post comparing NIU coaches and Huskie football history always a slam on Rod Carey? Are you Rod, his mom or an NIU athletic staffer? Why are we unable to have an honest, civil debate about the history of NIU football without snarky comments?

I was looking to have a fact based debate on Huskie football based on Huskie All American selections of the past 25 years. The negative comments about Joe Novak and Charlie Sadler were uncalled for.
12-02-2017 07:38 PM
NIU05 Online
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
Novak best recruiter based on resources. Kill an excellent recruiter thru out his career. Doreen excellent coach. Coach Carey not in that grouping yet, but I believe the current Fr class and incoming class are excellent classes.
12-02-2017 08:18 PM
golf4501 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-02-2017 07:38 PM)Captain Huskie Wrote:  

First and foremost, LeShon Johnson was a Charlie Sadler recruit. See link below.

Please get your facts straight. Next, Joe Novak dismissing players is no different than the issues PJ is going through in Minnesota. A new coach with different offensive and defensive schemes will always have issues with established players. A common occurrence.

Last and most important, Why is every post comparing NIU coaches and Huskie football history always a slam on Rod Carey? Are you Rod, his mom or an NIU athletic staffer? Why are we unable to have an honest, civil debate about the history of NIU football without snarky comments?

I was looking to have a fact based debate on Huskie football based on Huskie All American selections of the past 25 years. The negative comments about Joe Novak and Charlie Sadler were uncalled for.

I guess reading comprehension is an acquired skill. I said questionable recruits as in gang ties and other things. I got this direct from Joe it's part of why his first teams were so thin and it had nothing to do with changing defensive or offensive schemes.

Do you read this board this board thoroughly? If so you will not question my comment on it being nothing but negative comments about Carey.

I always wondered what Charlie did after leaving NIU, looks like he is posting on message boards as Captain Huskie now.
12-02-2017 09:52 PM
nucyberdawg Offline
2nd String

(12-02-2017 09:52 PM)golf4501 Wrote:  

I guess reading comprehension is an acquired skill. I said questionable recruits as in gang ties and other things. I got this direct from Joe it's part of why his first teams were so thin and it had nothing to do with changing defensive or offensive schemes.

Sadler mistakenly presumed he was coaching at Miami when recruiting.05-stirthepot

Do you read this board this board thoroughly? If so you will not question my comment on it being nothing but negative comments about Carey.

I always wondered what Charlie did after leaving NIU, looks like he is posting on message boards as Captain Huskie now.
12-02-2017 11:28 PM
Advertisement

sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-01-2017 11:14 PM)Captain Huskie Wrote:  I did a quick analysis of NIU All American selections for the last 25 years to determine who was NIU’s best recruiting and developing talent coach.
Here are my Picks:

#1 Joe Novak 1996-2007

Ryan Diem
Justin McCareins
Steve Azar
Dan Sheldon
Michael Turner (Huskie Legend) One of NIU’s greatest players
Garrett Wolfe (Huskie Legend) One of NIU’s greatest players
Sam Hurd
Doug Free
Larry English (Huskie Legend) One of NIU’s greatest players
Scott Wedige (Recruited)
Chandler Harnish (Recruited)

#2 Charlie Sadler 1991-1995

LeShon Johnson (Huskie Legend) One of NIU’s greatest players
Brad Capes
Brian Steger
Steve Wild
Gerald Nickelberry
Tim O’Brien
Raymond Roberts
Chris O’Neal

#3 Jerry Kill 2008-2010

Jordan Lynch (Huskie Legend) One of NIU’s greatest players (Recruited)
Jimmy Ward (Recruited)
Chandler Harnish (Developed)

#4 Dave Doeren 2011-2012

Tommie Lee Lewis (Recruited)
Jordan Lynch (Developed)
Jimmy Ward (Developed)

Rod Carey 2013-Present

Shawun Lurry
Sutton Smith (Will make an All American list)

Your thoughts?

This is a great post, however it only gives part of the picture.
It only focuses on stars versus damage by recruiting the wrong players.
Charlie Sadler really sucked as a recruiter and left NIU's roster in a co plate mess.
His record really sucked.
He inherited a good program and screwed it up perhaps more than any other coach in FB history. A program's success in recruiting is not about a few stars but rather about team chemistry and win loss record.
Putting Sadler up there w/o a disclaimer seems like inadvertent misrepresentation,
The man's name should not be remembered Ina positive light after what he did, inheriting a winning program and turning it into the worst FB program in Div1a.
Even Corso's damage to the NIU FB PROGRAM was far less than Sadler.
I wish that NIU would have fired him sooner. Five years of damage, could have been mitigated,

Novak should get credit as a coach who inherited the worst NIU FB team in history and building it up ii to a top 25 contender. Took three years to get niu into a 5 loss team. Amaizing achievement considering the 23 game losing streak.
Several former players under Coach Sadler have told me that he screwed up the NIU FB program. Delete that 3-4 year rebuilding nightmare and Coach Novak has a different record. He still is #3 interms of wins.
12-03-2017 02:22 AM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Wow I guess that a few recruits in Charlie Sadlers case had little impact on the program's
Losing record and demonstrate a very incomplete picture. Other than Lashon Cowboy Johnson, how many others were of note?

Why is PJ Fleck not mentioned under Joe Novak? He did play in the NFL.
other players who achieved prominence are not mentioned.

Why is Jerry Pettibone not mentioned? Without him Charlie Sadler would have had an even worse consistent string of losing season. Pettibone, Novak, Kill and Doeren all won MAC West titles and improved the program from the bottom of Div1a FB to a top G5 consistent program.

While Rod Carey inherited an Orange Bowl repeat MAC CHAMPION, he atleast has had 4 out of 5 winning seasons with three MAC West titles and a MAC champion.

Again putting NIU'S worst and most destructive FB H.C. Charlie Sadler, With legends Joe Novak, Jerry Kill , Dave Doeren and A 65% win/loss record Rod Carey w/o any mention of win/loss , in addition to sound basis for this incomplete and illogical so called successful list , seems like a lame attempt to whitewash Charlie Sadler.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 05:52 AM by sterling1man.)
12-03-2017 05:15 AM
golf4501 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
sterling1man great post, that was what I was trying to convey in my initial response.

Pettibone was the number one recruiter in the country when hired by NIU. Resources is why he left. I saw him at a game about 5-6 years ago and he told me that maybe he should have stayed at NIU. Mentioned that his coaching approach never worked at Oregon State and the money was the driving force. He thought he could have really built something if he stayed at NIU.
12-03-2017 08:47 AM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

Coach Novak was the father figure that came into your house and won your Mom over. That’s where Novak excelled. Mothers trusted him with their sons and sent them to NIU. Heard that more times than i can count

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
12-03-2017 11:34 AM
NIU05 Online
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
[quote='NIU32' pid='14855952' dateline='1512318859']
Coach Novak was the father figure that came into your house and won your Mom over. That’s where Novak excelled. Mothers trusted him with their sons and sent them to NIU. Heard that more times than i can count

[†****************************************************
Exactly - TRUST. Novak and Mallory they have a decentcy about them and it comes across.

Some on this board won't get it, but Lovie has the same thing. Mom's love him and he's been to a Super Bowl.
12-03-2017 12:09 PM
Advertisement

Captain Huskie Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-02-2017 09:52 PM)golf4501 Wrote:  

First and foremost the Charlie Sadler era was not a good era for NIU football.

Second. the point that I was trying to make is that for some reason Joe Novak and Charlie Sadler could churn out All Americans on a regular basis. What makes it even more impressive is that there were less all American lists compiled during their tenures. NIU rarely gets good recruits, which also adds to their accomplishments because the players require more development.

I find it profoundly alarming that recently NIU has not been churning out All Americans on a regular basis. Since more All American lists are compiled currently, in theory it should be an easier task. For some reason, NIU is not and that is alarming. Does it have to do with recruiting or how players are developed?
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 01:52 PM by Captain Huskie.)
12-04-2017 01:50 PM
Captain Huskie Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-03-2017 05:15 AM)sterling1man Wrote:  Wow I guess that a few recruits in Charlie Sadlers case had little impact on the program's
Losing record and demonstrate a very incomplete picture. Other than Lashon Cowboy Johnson, how many others were of note?

Why is PJ Fleck not mentioned under Joe Novak? He did play in the NFL.
other players who achieved prominence are not mentioned.

Why is Jerry Pettibone not mentioned? Without him Charlie Sadler would have had an even worse consistent string of losing season. Pettibone, Novak, Kill and Doeren all won MAC West titles and improved the program from the bottom of Div1a FB to a top G5 consistent program.

While Rod Carey inherited an Orange Bowl repeat MAC CHAMPION, he atleast has had 4 out of 5 winning seasons with three MAC West titles and a MAC champion.

Again putting NIU'S worst and most destructive FB H.C. Charlie Sadler, With legends Joe Novak, Jerry Kill , Dave Doeren and A 65% win/loss record Rod Carey w/o any mention of win/loss , in addition to sound basis for this incomplete and illogical so called successful list , seems like a lame attempt to whitewash Charlie Sadler.

So I guess every All American under Charlie Sadler is a Joke except for Leshon Johnson?

Second I compiled my analysis using someone named to an All American list so PJ got left out. It would be impossible to compile a list of all good players from every coach.

Third and most important, I get it that you hate Charlie Sadler but Joe Novak and Charlie Sadler were the only coaches in the past 25 years to churn out All Americans on a consistent basis.

I find it profoundly alarming that recently NIU has not been churning out All Americans on a regular basis. Since more All American lists are compiled currently, in theory it should be an easier task. For some reason, NIU is not and that is alarming.

Pettibone was also good at churning out All Americans. Why have the last three NIU coaches not been able to do so?
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 02:12 PM by Captain Huskie.)
12-04-2017 02:11 PM
O____dad Offline
1st String

(12-03-2017 11:34 AM)NIU32 Wrote:  Coach Novak was the father figure that came into your house and won your Mom over. That’s where Novak excelled. Mothers trusted him with their sons and sent them to NIU. Heard that more times than i can count

I know of one mother and father team that felt that way.
12-04-2017 03:28 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(12-04-2017 03:28 PM)O____dad Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 11:34 AM)NIU32 Wrote:  Coach Novak was the father figure that came into your house and won your Mom over. That’s where Novak excelled. Mothers trusted him with their sons and sent them to NIU. Heard that more times than i can count

I know of one mother and father team that felt that way.

And, of course, it was the right way to feel. I would even trust my wife with him. (Well, maybe not, but it's close.)
12-04-2017 03:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.