Countdown To Kickoff:
Season Tickets

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Blazer Almanac December 1 - Late edition
Bookmark and Share
Memphis Blazer Offline
Lifelong member of the general public

I Root For: Acts grown old

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Blazer Almanac December 1 - Late edition
December 1
Today's Blazer Almanac is late. But on the bright side, it's December, the month that brings us Christmas.

UAB football
December 1 is the last day that a regular season game has been played. With the exception of a bowl game, from here on out it will be Basketball.

2001 - UAB football traveled to Pittsburgh to take on the Panthers. The Blazers had won four games in a row and was 6-4, bowl eligible for the first time since moving to D1-A. A win would almost certainly clinch one of CUSA's four bowl bids. UAB entered the game with the nations #1 ranked rushing defense. Unfortunately, Pittsburgh dominated UAB and jumped out to a 21-0 lead. Trailing 24-3 late in the 3rd quarter, Watson Brown showed why he is the losingest coach in college football history, when instead of going for a touchdown on a fourth and goal from the Pittsburgh 3 yard line, he chose to kick a field goal. The made field goal was the final score 24-3 as the Blazers came up short.

UAB had finished in a three way tie with Cincinnati and East Carolina behind league winning Louisville. There were four teams in the top two positions. Louisville got the Liberty Bowl, Cincinnati got the Motor City Bowl and East Carolina got the GMAC bowl in Mobile. But UAB was passed over for a bowl for TCU who had finished 6-5, but one game behind UAB in the conference standings. TCU went to the Gallery Furniture Bowl in UAB's place.

UAB Basketball
UAB is 10-4 in games played on 12/1.

1978 - UAB lost to Southern Illinois in the Show Me Classic in Columbia, Mo. it was the second ever loss for the Blazers and its first ever road trip.

1979 - UAB beat the mighty Whittier Poets 90-67.
1982 - UAB lost at Baylor 56-55
1984 - UAB defeated Rhodes College 95-72

1989 - Auburn Alabama was host to two first time visitors. UAB played at Auburn in basketball for the first time on this date, the night before the Alabama football team traveled to Auburn for the first time. Andy Kennedy had 18 points as UAB won 75-65. The next day, Auburn ruined a perfect season for the Crimson Tide.

1990 - UAB played #1 ranked UNLV in Vancouver British Columbia on this date. In one of the worst scheduling ever done by a basketball coach, Gene Bartow had scheduled Auburn on a Friday night in Birmingham. After that win, the Blazers immediately hopped on a plane for Vancouver to take on the #1 team in the country, and the team some consider as among the greatest of all time. A team who had won the national championship the year before by beating Duke by 30, and returned 4 starters. This scheduling resulted in the worst loss in UAB history. The Blazers were destroyed 109-68. Gene Bartow said UNLV was the best team he had ever seen.

1998 - UAB defeated Texas Arlington 94-63
2001 - UAB lost at Murray State 74-69.
2002 - UAB beat West Alabama 97-71

2007 - UAB blew out former conference for Cincinnati 73-54. Reggie Huffman had 18 and. Walter Sharpe had 15 in the win.

2010 - UAB beat Jacksonville State 59-53 in a much to close game.
2012 - UAB traveled to the Dean Dome in Chapel Hill, NC, and lost to the Tar Hills 102-84. It was a return to North Carolina for first year coach Jarod Haase.

2013 - A year later, Coach Haase would exact revenge on his mentor, Roy Williams when the Tarhills returned the game in Birmingham. The Blazers upset the #16th ranked Norh Carolina team 63-59. The Blazers led most of the way, but a furious comeback by North Carolina made the outcome in doubt, until UAB put the game away at the line.

2015 - UAB defeated Georgia State 64-57.

Blazer Birthdays
Three birthdays today.
*Born today in 1969 was Tony Lewis, who played one season for UAB as a freshman in 1988-89. He averaged 2.6 points a game before transferring after his freshman year.

*Born today in 1970 was George Wilkerson. He played at UAB from 1989 to 1994 and was one of the best defensive players to ever put on a Blazer uniform. He was injured four games into his senior year and received a medical redshirt.

*Born today in 1980 was Tony Johnson is another five year player at UAB due to a medical redshirt. He played from 1999 to 2004.
12-01-2017 09:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

I Root For: UAB
RE: Blazer Almanac December 1 - Late edition
Kicking a field goal, when trailing 24-3 late in the 3rd quarter and the ball is on the 3 yard line, is failure. Jeepers!
12-01-2017 10:06 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Revert to group default

The Pitt game was originally scheduled to be played the weekend after 9/11 but was rescheduled to be the last game of the season.

UAB ended up playing Army at home for the first game after 9/11.
12-01-2017 10:10 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB, Goals
UAB was 7-4 in 2000. Not sure of bowl eligibility rules back then.
12-01-2017 10:24 PM

Memphis Blazer Offline

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(12-01-2017 10:24 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  UAB was 7-4 in 2000. Not sure of bowl eligibility rules back then.

Oops. I overlooked that one.
12-01-2017 10:27 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
1st String

(12-01-2017 10:27 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 10:24 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  UAB was 7-4 in 2000. Not sure of bowl eligibility rules back then.

Oops. I overlooked that one.

Eh, it's just football. Right, UABfan1?

kidding
12-01-2017 10:41 PM
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

(12-01-2017 10:06 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  Kicking a field goal, when trailing 24-3 late in the 3rd quarter and the ball is on the 3 yard line, is failure. Jeepers!

It was a cold day up there in Pburg and we sucked big time. Made the long drive home a miserable experience. Our disappointing drives home during the WB era ( and those of HCNC and HCGM too) unfortunately out number the happy ones. The most joyous one, however, was our best road trip of all,,, beating LSU on their homecoming on a cool fall evening.
12-02-2017 11:09 AM

BlazerGreen Offline
1st String

(12-02-2017 11:09 AM)BlazrDawg Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 10:06 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  Kicking a field goal, when trailing 24-3 late in the 3rd quarter and the ball is on the 3 yard line, is failure. Jeepers!

It was a cold day up there in Pburg and we sucked big time. Made the long drive home a miserable experience. Our disappointing drives home during the WB era ( and those of HCNC and HCGM too) unfortunately out number the happy ones. The most joyous one, however, was our best road trip of all,,, beating LSU on their homecoming on a cool fall evening.

I was there with my brother. We got "Tiger bait" chanted at us all the way into the stadium. A security guard we passed said, "They get beat every time they do that ****." After Booty threw the ball straight to Chris Brown, I took my UAB hat off and yelled at the crowd behind us, "Thank you Tigers!". Guy sitting right behind us with a toddler on his lap proceeded to cuss me until Gallego split the uprights.

On the drive back we enjoyed the LSU post game call in show until we lost the signal. We stopped at a Waffle House in Hattiesburg. Place was filled with USM fans and we got an ovation when we came in with our UAB gear. Great times.

For me that Blazer road trip is second only to the Holy Pilgrimage to Columbus, OH.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2017 11:47 AM by BlazerGreen.)
12-02-2017 11:44 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline

My holy Pilgramage was 1981 to the NCAA tournament in Tuscaloosa against Kentucky. The game had a noon tipoff on a Sunday, so me and a friend missed church to go the game. The problem was that we were high school seniors at a very strict Baptist church school where church attendance was mandatory. We knew we would catch some flack from one particular teacher on Monday morning, although we had permission from our parents.

Monday morning, the teacher lectured us on putting the carnal things such as basketball ahead of godly things such as church. We are still on a huge High from the historic win and our voices were shot. He said "Do you really think that going to a basketball game rather then church pleases God?"

My friend answered "Well Mr. Stimer, there was a lot of praying during the game and a lot of praising God after the game, so yes, I do!"
12-02-2017 11:55 AM
BlazerGreen Offline
1st String

(12-02-2017 11:55 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  My holy Pilgramage was 1981 to the NCAA tournament in Tuscaloosa against Kentucky. The game had a noon tipoff on a Sunday, so me and a friend missed church to go the game. The problem was that we were high school seniors at a very strict Baptist church school where church attendance was mandatory. We knew we would catch some flack from one particular teacher on Monday morning, although we had permission from our parents.

Monday morning, the teacher lectured us on putting the carnal things such as basketball ahead of godly things such as church. We are still on a huge High from the historic win and our voices were shot. He said "Do you really think that going to a basketball game rather then church pleases God?"

My friend answered "Well Mr. Stimer, there was a lot of praying during the game and a lot of praising God after the game, so yes, I do!"

Amen, brother. I went to the previous game in Ttown vs WKU. Not sure why we didn't go back for the UK game. Probably because my dad was kind of a cheap skate.
12-02-2017 12:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.