Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN Lays Off 150 Employees In Latest Bloodbath
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
[Image: 33nzw9x.jpg]
ESPN president John Skipper

How’d going far left work out for you there sport?

Quote:The latest round of ESPN layoffs has arrived.

On Wednesday, network president John Skipper confirmed 150 staffers would be terminated, after cutting about 100 staffers in late April. The news of layoffs was expected, but it is surprising that on-air talent does not appear to be among the ones getting let go.

The statement from Skipper to ESPN employees:

Today we are informing approximately 150 people at ESPN that their jobs are being eliminated.

We appreciate their contributions, and will assist them as much as possible in this difficult moment with severance, a 2017 bonus, the continuation of health benefits and outplacement services. They will also appreciate your support.

The majority of the jobs eliminated are in studio production, digital content, and technology and they generally reflect decisions to do less in certain instances and re-direct resources.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/29/espn-lays-...re=twitter
11-29-2017 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
RE: ESPN Lays Off 150 Employees In Latest Bloodbath
Its not just because cable cutters...
11-29-2017 12:32 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Gonna be one more after Memphis bowl game, ESPN is getting cut off.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2017 12:39 PM by shere khan.)
11-29-2017 12:39 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
So let's look at the dynamic. ESPN broadcasts your program nationally for money. ESPN trashes your program nationally but gives you money. ESPN owns a Conferences tv rights for money. If you want the risk of your program being trashed nationally is the ESPN money worth it?

Give me a positive local presence and great local coverage every time. EUCK FSPN.

Believe you me, Raycom will rise again.
11-29-2017 12:41 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Buzzfeed also laying off 100
11-29-2017 12:48 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

More and more it looks like ESPN is a miscalculation for College Conferences. Much more distribution security to be had with the OTA buyers and a much more secure message. The first rule of Physicians is to do no harm. The first rule of ESPN is NOT the same Rule as Those who seek your wellbeing. In no way would I wish that UofL didn't join the ACC. Tremendous affiliation in sports, academics, and the people I have met and interacted with. My wish is that the ACC stuck with Raycom. They provided coverage with care to the people who care. ESPN may offer better $ than Raycom, but are lacking in better coverage in multiple ways.
11-29-2017 01:10 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Its about cord cutting. Plain and simple. Heck since South Alabama sucked this year, and GW and USA are going to suck this year in basketball, I cut the damn cord. And I won't pick up ESPN again till August. Don't need it.

And for millions of people a year, they're just cutting the cord and never going back. Most Americans are paying for ESPN today. Most of those paying for it don't watch sports.

You're dumb argument would have some merit if you could show where other major legacy cable networks were HIRING more staff or that other college sports platforms on cable were doing better.

--

BTW, if you're upset about the NFL...go right ahead and kill it for all the left cares. We don't want it either. Go ahead and kill football period while you're at it. Basically toss out all the spending on high school football coaches and stadiums, and college stadiums and coaches, and very few liberals would miss it. We're the one paying more for it anyway....we live in cities so we pay more on cable must take for our 'hometown' teams and finance a greater portion of those stadiums anyway. We're more likely to go to college, so we pay more of the student fees to subsidize it in college, and we pay more in taxes overall, so we're probably paying more of the high school cost too.

Want to cheerlead the decline of the NFL? Where's my pom pom....I'll be right there with you.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2017 01:18 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
11-29-2017 01:11 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(11-29-2017 12:41 PM)Dasville Wrote:  So let's look at the dynamic. ESPN broadcasts your program nationally for money. ESPN trashes your program nationally but gives you money. ESPN owns a Conferences tv rights for money. If you want the risk of your program being trashed nationally is the ESPN money worth it?

Give me a positive local presence and great local coverage every time. EUCK FSPN.

Believe you me, Raycom will rise again.

I have to say as a Cincinnati fan the one good thing about the AAC is that the games that are broadcasted on CBS Sports are a breath of fresh air compared to the coverage we got/get on ESPN. They actually speak highly of us and consider our football and basketball programs as major college programs (as opposed to ESPN which usually ignores us).

Of course everything else about the conference situation sucks for UC.
11-29-2017 01:15 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(11-29-2017 01:11 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Its about cord cutting. Plain and simple. Heck since South Alabama sucked this year, and GW and USA are going to suck this year in basketball, I cut the damn cord. And I won't pick up ESPN again till August. Don't need it.

And for millions of people a year, they're just cutting the cord and never going back. Most Americans are paying for ESPN today. Most of those paying for it don't watch sports.

You're dumb argument would have some merit if you could show where other major legacy cable networks were HIRING more staff or that other college sports platforms on cable were doing better.

--

BTW, if you're upset about the NFL...go right ahead and kill it for all the left cares. We don't want it either. Go ahead and kill football period while you're at it. Basically toss out all the spending on high school football coaches and stadiums, and college stadiums and coaches, and very few liberals would miss it.

NFL is 80% black male employees. That doesn't discount your post as a liberal at all. Just saying. President Trump is seeking 80% employment of black males as well!
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2017 01:21 PM by Dasville.)
11-29-2017 01:20 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
This is all a precursor to Disney selling them. Getting the numbers right sized.
11-29-2017 01:21 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-29-2017 01:20 PM)Dasville Wrote:  
(11-29-2017 01:11 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Its about cord cutting. Plain and simple. Heck since South Alabama sucked this year, and GW and USA are going to suck this year in basketball, I cut the damn cord. And I won't pick up ESPN again till August. Don't need it.

--

BTW, if you're upset about the NFL...go right ahead and kill it for all the left cares. We don't want it either. Go ahead and kill football period while you're at it. Basically toss out all the spending on high school football coaches and stadiums, and college stadiums and coaches, and very few liberals would miss it.

NFL is 80% black male employees. That doesn't discount your post as a liberal at all. Just saying. President Trump is seeking 80% employment of black males as well!

Meh, 100% straight, 100% male, and probably about 80% FCA. And I'm paying more for it than conservatives are. Its you guys who watch it. Not us. And lets do the same thing to baseball while we're at it too.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2017 01:25 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
11-29-2017 01:24 PM
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

(11-29-2017 01:24 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(11-29-2017 01:20 PM)Dasville Wrote:  

--

Meh, 100% straight, 100% male, and probably about 80% FCA. And I'm paying more for it than conservatives are. Its you guys who watch it. Not us. And lets do the same thing to baseball while we're at it too.

Great point! Leave the Pro to ESPN (all sports) and the diversity to the College ranks and on a regional basis. If all politics are local, so should sports be.
11-29-2017 01:33 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(11-29-2017 01:21 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  This is all a precursor to Disney selling them. Getting the numbers right sized.

It's all a ploy for them to be able to afford a lightsaber battle between Spiderman and Darth Vader
11-30-2017 09:50 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(11-29-2017 12:32 PM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  Its not just because cable cutters...

Of course not.

That’s the rather idiotic fig leaf the leftists are trying to hide behind.

MSESPN went full ‘tard a good while ago, people have finally just had enough.

Same exact thing as the whole Casperdick foolishness and their sympathizers. “It isn’t this, it isn’t that” blah blah blah.

No. It’s very simple. It IS that.
11-30-2017 11:36 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

LOL. You'd think that if the lower numbers for the NFL were driven by white nationalists ceasing to support the league because a black player has the temerity to say "stop murdering/killing us extra-judiciously", that you'd see higher numbers for alternative football events (such as college games). That isn't happening.

The problem that ESPN and the other sports networks have is that their model for revenue is not sustainable if people just refuse to pay 1500 bucks a year for cable TV, when they don't give a sh*t about sports in general. Most cable consumers don't.

ESPN's supposed 'liberal lean' (which isn't the case - its just that ESPN doesn't live inside the white nationalist bubble at Breitbart and Infowars, so you guys actually see viewpoints you might not agree with there) is largely a result of ESPN trying to retain interviews with sports figures, and the result of the league actually hiring people who've played sports in their network.

BTW, the reason why there will be more of this BLM stuff at sporting events is because .... its the only thing you guys watch where they can make their point seen.

Now, with Trump trying to get rid of net neutrality, and the GOP supporting bans on municipalities creating their own public internet utilities, then perhaps they can try to force people to continue to pay for MLB and NFL games they don't watch, but I suspect that's just a losing proposition.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2017 12:57 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
11-30-2017 12:53 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(11-30-2017 12:53 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  LOL. You'd think that if the lower numbers for the NFL were driven by white nationalists ceasing to support the league because a black player has the temerity to say "stop murdering/killing us extra-judiciously", that you'd see higher numbers for alternative football events (such as college games). That isn't happening.

The problem that ESPN and the other sports networks have is that their model for revenue is not sustainable if people just refuse to pay 1500 bucks a year for cable TV, when they don't give a sh*t about sports in general. Most cable consumers don't.

ESPN's supposed 'liberal lean' (which isn't the case - its just that ESPN doesn't live inside the white nationalist bubble at Breitbart and Infowars, so you guys actually see viewpoints you might not agree with there) is largely a result of ESPN trying to retain interviews with sports figures, and the result of the league actually hiring people who've played sports in their network.

BTW, the reason why there will be more of this BLM stuff at sporting events is because .... its the only thing you guys watch where they can make their point seen.

Now, with Trump trying to get rid of net neutrality, and the GOP supporting bans on municipalities creating their own public internet utilities, then perhaps they can try to force people to continue to pay for MLB and NFL games they don't watch, but I suspect that's just a losing proposition.

It's not hard! Don't offend me.
What you've done is sensitized the NFL fan.
You have channeled their emotions.
You have welcomed us to your emotions and are upset with the results.
You win!
11-30-2017 01:01 PM
Advertisement

HappyAppy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: App
(11-30-2017 12:53 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  LOL. You'd think that if the lower numbers for the NFL were driven by white nationalists ceasing to support the league because a black player has the temerity to say "stop murdering/killing us extra-judiciously", that you'd see higher numbers for alternative football events (such as college games). That isn't happening.

Yep.

People are cutting the cord because of cost. Period.

Are there people who might stop watching ESPN because of their politics? Sure. Idk how many. It’s definitely not as many as these spin room posters think.

Loss of subscribers has nothing to do with this though. You can’t just “drop” ESPN. You have to get rid of your cable or steaming package and just stop watching TV. People are not doing that. Anybody who thinks otherwise is living in a dream world.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2017 01:10 PM by HappyAppy.)
11-30-2017 01:07 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(11-30-2017 01:07 PM)HappyAppy Wrote:  

Yep.

Are there people who might stop watching ESPN because of their politics? Sure. Idk how many. It’s definitely not as many as these spin room posters think.

Loss of subscribers has nothing to do with this though. You can’t just “drop” ESPN. You have to get rid of your cable or steaming package and just stop watching TV. People are not doing that. Anybody who thinks otherwise is living in a dream world.

Agreed but the dynamics have changed. ESPN is relying on the DIY and HGTV to save profitability now.
11-30-2017 01:17 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-30-2017 01:17 PM)Dasville Wrote:  
(11-30-2017 01:07 PM)HappyAppy Wrote:  

Yep.

Agreed but the dynamics have changed. ESPN is relying on the DIY and HGTV to save profitability now.

And I can get both of them in a cheapo 30/month bundle from sling. Along with some news channels too. No need to pay ESPN for sports (both my teams suck - and I don't watch pro-sports anyway - so I'm done with even ESPN on demand until August). And God forbid, someone just puts together some internet based HGTV clone.

The whole 30 for 30 and newscasts that highlight BLM stuff is this....it draws eyeballs of people who are paying them beaucoup dollars who otherwise wouldn't watch ESPN at all.

This liberal is 100% okay with destroying ESPN, the NFL, MLB, the NHL, and the NBA. Go ahead, boycott the NFL...I've been doing it for years.
11-30-2017 01:32 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(11-29-2017 12:39 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Gonna be one more after Memphis bowl game, ESPN is getting cut off.

Do it now and go watch the game at a sports bar. With the money you save you can spend on beer and snacks.
11-30-2017 02:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.