Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CSUB Moving to the Big West in 2020
Bookmark and Share
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
CSUB Moving to the Big West in 2020
I kinda had a feeling honestly. No sources but that quick turn around on UCSD was telling. CSUB will hold a press conference at 1 PM PST.

Quote:BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - On Monday, the Big West Conference announced the addition of California State University, Bakersfield and the University of California San Diego as the 10th and 11th members of the Conference.

CSUB will become an official member of the conference on July 1, 2020, and will be immediately eligible in round-robin and single-site championship sports for Big West titles, awards and honors and continue its eligibility for NCAA automatic qualification in these sports, according to Big West.

In making the announcement, Big West Conference Commissioner Dennis Farrell issued the following statement:

“The addition of these two outstanding universities will further strengthen the Big West’s position as the preeminent NCAA Division I public university conference for the states of California and Hawai‘i,” said Farrell. “The 2018-19 academic year marks the 50th anniversary of the Big West Conference and this membership development positions the conference to continue growing and thriving for the next 50 years.”

Beginning in 2020-21 CSU Bakersfield will participate in the following Big West championship sports: men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, women’s cross country, women’s golf, men’s and women’s soccer, softball, men’s and women’s track and field, women’s volleyball and beach volleyball. For the past two years, CSU Bakersfield has been a Big West associate member in beach volleyball.

The Big West Conference is a member of NCAA Division I and includes California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo; California State University, Fullerton; California State University, Northridge; Long Beach State University; University of California, Davis; University of California, Irvine; University of California, Riverside; University of California, Santa Barbara; and the University of Hawai‘i, Manoa.

Big West says CSUB's athletic programs have recorded significant success in the classroom and in competition over the past several years, including seven team conference championships in the past three years, record GPA’s, Graduation Success Rates, and APR scores.

Since its move to Division I in 2010, the CSUB men’s basketball program has achieved national acclaim with a berth in the NCAA Tournament in 2016 and an historic run in the NIT in 2017, becoming the first eight seed to advance to the semifinals.

CSUB has been a part of the WAC since 2013.

http://www.kerngoldenempire.com/news/csu.../865795356
11-27-2017 01:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
RE: CSUB Moving to the Big West in 2020
Good for you guys, bad for Wac. I'm jealous.
11-27-2017 01:39 PM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
This is the 1st step to the collapse of the WAC. I hope Mario is doing something to get us out of this burning building.
11-27-2017 01:42 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

I've been warning of this but some people here think it will just survive because it has in the past. This is not the case this time. I'm also glad we are out. Just a matter of time before it completely implodes.
11-27-2017 01:45 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
With the exception of NMSU, the WAC is a conference for schools to get there feet under them and move on to a better situation.
11-27-2017 01:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(11-27-2017 01:45 PM)Clarity Wrote:  I've been warning of this but some people here think it will just survive because it has in the past. This is not the case this time. I'm also glad we are out. Just a matter of time before it completely implodes.

This is what I thought when WAC football dissipated. Everyone in this conference wants to be somewhere else.

As I just said on twitter:

No one in the WAC thinks about staying in the conference, everyone is looking for a better situation. Always been a conference of convenience for all members. Not a conference to build.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 01:57 PM by CrimsonPhantom.)
11-27-2017 01:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CPslograd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Fresno State
(11-27-2017 01:38 PM)Clarity Wrote:  I kinda had a feeling honestly. No sources but that quick turn around on UCSD was telling. CSUB will hold a press conference at 1 PM PST.

Quote:BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - On Monday, the Big West Conference announced the addition of California State University, Bakersfield and the University of California San Diego as the 10th and 11th members of the Conference.

CSUB will become an official member of the conference on July 1, 2020, and will be immediately eligible in round-robin and single-site championship sports for Big West titles, awards and honors and continue its eligibility for NCAA automatic qualification in these sports, according to Big West.

In making the announcement, Big West Conference Commissioner Dennis Farrell issued the following statement:

“The addition of these two outstanding universities will further strengthen the Big West’s position as the preeminent NCAA Division I public university conference for the states of California and Hawai‘i,” said Farrell. “The 2018-19 academic year marks the 50th anniversary of the Big West Conference and this membership development positions the conference to continue growing and thriving for the next 50 years.”

Beginning in 2020-21 CSU Bakersfield will participate in the following Big West championship sports: men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, women’s cross country, women’s golf, men’s and women’s soccer, softball, men’s and women’s track and field, women’s volleyball and beach volleyball. For the past two years, CSU Bakersfield has been a Big West associate member in beach volleyball.

The Big West Conference is a member of NCAA Division I and includes California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo; California State University, Fullerton; California State University, Northridge; Long Beach State University; University of California, Davis; University of California, Irvine; University of California, Riverside; University of California, Santa Barbara; and the University of Hawai‘i, Manoa.

Big West says CSUB's athletic programs have recorded significant success in the classroom and in competition over the past several years, including seven team conference championships in the past three years, record GPA’s, Graduation Success Rates, and APR scores.

Since its move to Division I in 2010, the CSUB men’s basketball program has achieved national acclaim with a berth in the NCAA Tournament in 2016 and an historic run in the NIT in 2017, becoming the first eight seed to advance to the semifinals.

I understand as an AD you couldn’t turn it down. But I don’t think it will help the runners. Really don’t.
11-27-2017 02:01 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

It definitely will. The Big West is stable and there are some good teams there. UCSB and Pasternak is bringing in 4 star recruits. Hawaii is usually an excellent team they beat Cal in the NCAA tournament only two years ago. Long Beach is usually a really good team and Irvine is on the uptrend. Also going to road games will be fun.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 02:18 PM by Clarity.)
11-27-2017 02:06 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Wow! Did not see this.

OK, so what is the 2020 lineup?

Cal Baptist, Utah Valley, UT Rio Grande Valley, Seattle

NMSU?
GCU?
UMKC? (Summit?)
Chicago State? (out of D-I)
APU? (even moving up only gives the WAC 5 schools ... hum)

I don't understand why CSUB would stay in the WAC for 2 more years, why not join with UCSD in 2019-2020? Hum, maybe that is when UCSD is joining, we'll see at 1pm.

Again wow.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 02:39 PM by Stugray2.)
11-27-2017 02:19 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

11-27-2017 02:52 PM
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

ugh!! My wife actually texted and told me!
I....like it here. I like the WAC and feel it has better opportunities for us. Now we may well be lost in the CA abyss of UC/CSUs!!

Last night in bed it crossed my mind that maybe the UCSD add was a foreshadowing of someone leaving the BW, NOT CSUB being added.

Haven not looked, at lunch at work, but...I'm SURE the BW boards are in full implode mode right now.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 03:06 PM by RunnerBall.)
11-27-2017 03:05 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

This does keep the UC and CSU system balance at 5 each.

I have to think this means SJSU will be added to get 6 Men's Water Polo in 2020 as well

Also Swimming and Diving will be start up with 6 Men's and 7 Women's schools.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 03:19 PM by Stugray2.)
11-27-2017 03:08 PM
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

(11-27-2017 02:01 PM)CPslograd Wrote:  
(11-27-2017 01:38 PM)Clarity Wrote:  I kinda had a feeling honestly. No sources but that quick turn around on UCSD was telling. CSUB will hold a press conference at 1 PM PST.

I understand as an AD you couldn’t turn it down. But I don’t think it will help the runners. Really don’t.

Agree. Finance / travel cost + time out of class the drive no doubt. I get that, but....I like the WAC!
11-27-2017 03:08 PM
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

(11-27-2017 02:19 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Wow! Did not see this.

NMSU?
GCU?
UMKC? (Summit?)

I don't understand why CSUB would stay in the WAC for 2 more years, why not join with UCSD in 2019-2020? Hum, maybe that is when UCSD is joining, we'll see at 1pm.

Again wow.

The only thing I can see is PERHAPS....that's when Mitchell will be out (if not sooner). Kind of like when Iran released the hostages the day after Carter left? New regime change? Maybe due to Mitchell being the one who "prognosticated" we were BW bound before going through protocol. Just a guess.

Or.....maybe some accreditation stuff going on that would make academics more palatable at that time. I know our School of Engineering is going through that right now.

Or....MOST likely imo, the CSUs agreed on UCSD IF a CSU came along. Maybe SD made the BW "an offer they couldnt refuse," and the CSUs had the UCs over a barrel with it. ???
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 03:23 PM by RunnerBall.)
11-27-2017 03:11 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

I liked the WAC as well but like Crimson said it was a conference out of necessity not out of want to be here. Everyone was already looking for an out. Nobody wanted to stay here long term. It was going to implode eventually. We are lucky to be the first ones out of a building that's on fire and on the verge of collapse. Very excited.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 03:12 PM by Clarity.)
11-27-2017 03:11 PM
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

(11-27-2017 03:11 PM)Clarity Wrote:  I liked the WAC as well but like Crimson said it was a conference out of necessity not out of want to be here. Everyone was already looking for an out. Nobody wanted to stay here long term. It was going to implode eventually. We are lucky to be the first ones out of a building that's on fire and on the verge of collapse. Very excited.

Understand. But I feel we (along with many other schools) have built the WAC into something that I'm proud of now.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2017 03:32 PM by RunnerBall.)
11-27-2017 03:13 PM
Advertisement

SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
Well, the Big Sky is about to be at an uneven 11 OLY schools. Hoping Seattle U lobbies hard to get in before the WAC falls apart
11-27-2017 03:16 PM
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

(11-27-2017 02:19 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Wow! Did not see this.

NMSU?
GCU?
UMKC? (Summit?)

Again wow.
Maybe, medically, it will take the BW that long to process it pyschologically without permanent harm?

Sent from my SM-G950U using CSNbbs mobile app
11-27-2017 03:25 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

Here is a DavidSt level wild speculation:

If Seattle is taken by the Big Sky, it might actually be by a "Big Sky" break away (think MWC airport 8). The Northern schools want a smaller football league and more reasonable travel. Seattle, PSU, EWU, ISU, UI, UM, MSU, WSU, Weber would make a compact 9 Basketball and 8 Football school conference. It would jettison the Great West schools, as well as Sac State and NAU (sacrifices).

But this group might well move to the WAC, or the WAC might move to them, so as to jettison their outliers. CBU, GCU, NMSU would join Sac State, NAU, SUU, and NoCo. This group would also have 6 FCS schools with UC Davis and Cal Poly affiliates. It would be a logical conference to add APU. I don't know if they'd take UVU or outlier UTRGV. But they definitely would pass on Chicago State.

Who knows they WAC might survive with such a reshuffle (I think not, since Hurd's contract runs out after 2019 when he is 67, and the Big Sky will have a commissioner and functioning office, even after a split by the Northwest schools; although I can see the Big Sky selling the name to that group and taking the WAC name for themselves)

Just wild thinking. Zero evidence of anything like this
11-27-2017 03:35 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
Better to split 1 bid 11 ways I guess....
11-27-2017 03:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.