Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Iconic & arcane Owl memorabilia being auctioned off.
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
Iconic & arcane Owl memorabilia being auctioned off.
In case you hadn't heard already, Rice is auctioning five iconic/arcane Owl sports memorabilia items:

>> The inflatable tunnel that the Rice Football team ran through to arrive onto the field from 2012 to 2016:

[Image: img-2264631-m.jpg]

Inflated, it's 18' high x 26' wide x 26' deep. (Deflated, it's 50" x 55" x 55".) It weighs about 460 pounds, and (obviously) "requires several people to move/handle" and two standard blowers (not included) to operate. Starting bid: $1,000.

>> The 10x90-foot printed vinyl Owl banner that hung behind the Tudor student section:

[Image: img-2264686-m.jpg]

This banner weighs about 60 pounds and has no grommets. (How'd they hang it without grommets?) Starting bid: $300.

>> The actual costume worn by the official Sammy the Owl mascot from 2012 through April 2017:

[Image: img-2264647-m.jpg]

This "Samantha" Sammy suit "is in good condition, and has been professionally cleaned." Whew!! It "will best fit a person from 5'7" to 6'1" " ... so I'm out. :-)

>> A 6-pack of commemorative Coca-Cola glass bottles congratulating the Rice Owls on their 2003 College World Series championship:

[Image: img-2264665-m.jpg]

I don't know why only five of these rare, limited-edition bottles are pictured. Starting bid: $50.

And last, and possibly least:

>> A 47" x 32" poster of the official team photo of the 2016-2017 men's basketball team, which won 23 games, the second most in Rice Basketball history!

[Image: img-2264684-m.jpg]

"This is an exclusive item, unavailable for sale elsewhere." Possibly suitable for an art project to paint over the players' current-team jerseys? Starting bid: $25.

Currently, only the Samantha Sammy Owl costume has attracted any bids (3).

Bidding is slated to end at 4 p.m. Monday, December 4, 2017.
11-26-2017 01:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Iconic & arcane Owl memorabilia being auctioned off.
That Sammy costume needs to be burned.
11-26-2017 01:53 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
(11-26-2017 01:53 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  That Sammy costume needs to be burned.

Maybe that's why people are bidding?
11-26-2017 02:00 PM
MerseyOwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Blue & Gray

Can I suggest crowdfunding?
11-26-2017 02:03 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

IMO the Rice Owls Coca-Cola bottles are the coolest. A true souvenir.

The rest of these things are kind of useless.
11-26-2017 02:18 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(11-26-2017 02:03 PM)MerseyOwl Wrote:  

Can I suggest crowdfunding?

Not a bad idea! 03-lmfao I believe this is one of the last vestiges of the Greenspan era as well.

I'm in to contribute. If we did win it, what do we do - pinata then burn it? Flaming arrow (1992 Barcelona style)... something else?
11-26-2017 02:30 PM
Advertisement

Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(11-26-2017 01:42 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  In case you hadn't heard already, Rice is auctioning five iconic/arcane Owl sports memorabilia items:

>> The inflatable tunnel that the Rice Football team ran through to arrive onto the field from 2012 to 2016:

Inflated, it's 18' high x 26' wide x 26' deep. (Deflated, it's 50" x 55" x 55".) It weighs about 460 pounds, and (obviously) "requires several people to move/handle" and two standard blowers (not included) to operate. Starting bid: $1,000.

>> The 10x90-foot printed vinyl Owl banner that hung behind the Tudor student section:

This banner weighs about 60 pounds and has no grommets. (How'd they hang it without grommets?) Starting bid: $300.

>> The actual costume worn by the official Sammy the Owl mascot from 2012 through April 2017:

This "Samantha" Sammy suit "is in good condition, and has been professionally cleaned." Whew!! It "will best fit a person from 5'7" to 6'1" " ... so I'm out. :-)

>> A 6-pack of commemorative Coca-Cola glass bottles congratulating the Rice Owls on their 2003 College World Series championship:

I don't know why only five of these rare, limited-edition bottles are pictured. Starting bid: $50.

>> A 47" x 32" poster of the official team photo of the 2016-2017 men's basketball team, which won 23 games, the second most in Rice Basketball history!

"This is an exclusive item, unavailable for sale elsewhere." Possibly suitable for an art project to paint over the players' current-team jerseys? Starting bid: $25.

I've got 2 Coke 6 packs and 100s of Rs.For.Cars available to add to the auction. The AD need only contact me to arrange a deal.
11-26-2017 05:30 PM
Grungy Offline

New Orleans Bowl
We were wondering, just recently, what had become of the logo behind the student section and the previous inflatable owl tunnel.
Did not wonder about the kid-friendly Sammy costume.
I wonder if Athletics ever considered donating that to the Woodson?
(Not that I want to shackle them with storing it forever, but the Woodson should have at least one of the Sammy costumes in the archives.)
I know who has one of the prior costumes, but he's as ready to relinquish it as I am to part with my MOB stuff.
11-26-2017 10:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

(11-26-2017 10:34 PM)Grungy Wrote:  We were wondering, just recently, what had become of the logo behind the student section and the previous inflatable owl tunnel.
(Not that I want to shackle them with storing it forever, but the Woodson should have at least one of the Sammy costumes in the archives.)
I know who has one of the prior costumes, but he's as ready to relinquish it as I am to part with my MOB stuff.

If your MOB stuff is not going to the Woodson in your will I will hunt you down myself.
11-27-2017 07:41 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(11-26-2017 05:30 PM)Da.Owl Wrote:  
(11-26-2017 01:42 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  In case you hadn't heard already, Rice is auctioning five iconic/arcane Owl sports memorabilia items:

I've got 2 Coke 6 packs and 100s of Rs.For.Cars available to add to the auction. The AD need only contact me to arrange a deal.

Or you could call them. Their number is easy to find.
11-27-2017 07:43 AM
Grungy Offline

New Orleans Bowl
(11-27-2017 07:41 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(11-26-2017 10:34 PM)Grungy Wrote:  We were wondering, just recently, what had become of the logo behind the student section and the previous inflatable owl tunnel.

If your MOB stuff is not going to the Woodson in your will I will hunt you down myself.

That's the first line in my will - along with a note that someone should help my daughters move it there.
11-27-2017 02:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Grungy Offline

New Orleans Bowl
If the Woodson really wants the Sammy costume, could the rest of the Parliament not drive up the bidding in their quest for vengeful immolation?
11-27-2017 07:48 PM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
If my driveway were wider, I'd be tempted by the thought of a new-to-me inflatable carport.
11-27-2017 11:01 PM
texd Offline

Okay, I can understand the tunnel not being a popular item. (I mean, unless your kid's school is the Owls, uses blue and grey color scheme, and has a name starting with R, it's of fairly limited value -- except as a carport as I've indicated before). But I'm surprised no one has bid the $25 minimum on the Basketball poster, simply as a show of support.
12-04-2017 03:43 PM
NYNightOwl Offline
NYOwl

(12-04-2017 03:43 PM)texd Wrote:  Okay, I can understand the tunnel not being a popular item. (I mean, unless your kid's school is the Owls, uses blue and grey color scheme, and has a name starting with R, it's of fairly limited value -- except as a carport as I've indicated before). But I'm surprised no one has bid the $25 minimum on the Basketball poster, simply as a show of support.

done
12-04-2017 05:21 PM
texowl2 Online
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
Frankly I understood why the bskb photo didn't have a bid and good for the bidder, but the after season happenings put a large damper on interest on that team......
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017 12:08 AM by texowl2.)
12-04-2017 07:02 PM
Advertisement

texd Offline

(12-04-2017 05:21 PM)NYNightOwl Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 03:43 PM)texd Wrote:  Okay, I can understand the tunnel not being a popular item. (I mean, unless your kid's school is the Owls, uses blue and grey color scheme, and has a name starting with R, it's of fairly limited value -- except as a carport as I've indicated before). But I'm surprised no one has bid the $25 minimum on the Basketball poster, simply as a show of support.

done

Props.
12-04-2017 09:48 PM
texd Offline

One hour to go! The tunnel remains unclaimed, but everything else has at least two bids each. Sammy up to $1220.
12-08-2017 04:00 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
I'd be down with the tunnel for my driveway (especially as part of my Christmas decorations - it would look awesome with inches of snow I'll get tonight), if they didn't want a starting price of $1k. And I'm unfortunately a 20 hour drive away from picking it up. And it weighing close to 500 pounds.
12-08-2017 04:51 PM
texowl2 Online
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(12-08-2017 04:51 PM)gsloth Wrote:  I'd be down with the tunnel for my driveway (especially as part of my Christmas decorations - it would look awesome with inches of snow I'll get tonight), if they didn't want a starting price of $1k. And I'm unfortunately a 20 hour drive away from picking it up. And it weighing close to 500 pounds.

don't forget there are no blowers and it folds up to more than 4 feet by 4 feet, completely compressed. Maybe offer it to FAU or some high school with an owl mascot (that has to be who is bidding on Sammy-unless it is being bought to be burnt at the stake)
12-08-2017 05:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.