Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

pre - preseason expectations 2018
Bookmark and Share
nucyberdawg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
07-coffee3 It's way early but given which skill players, special teams players and linemen are expected to return plus any newcomers for all MAC teams in West division, where do you foresee NIU forecasted in MAC 2018 West?

I would be surprised and disappointed that if NIU is again at the very least NOT in the hunt conversation for west division champ?03-phew

caveat: Huskies survive OCC gauntlet without many key injuries.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2017 05:38 AM by nucyberdawg.)
11-25-2017 05:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: pre - preseason expectations 2018
2018 will have high expectations. Given this defense is returning most of its best players, it will once again keep the Huskies in every game and even win a few by itself.

The O-line should improve. Maybe not a lot, but some. It was average at best and a bigger part of the offense's struggles than held accountable for.

QB will be a concern, but one that there is no immediate answer for. So what is paramount for the offense in 2018 is to find a play-maker. We saw what Ward did for CMU. We've seen Huff do it for the Huskies. Be the difference between a win and a loss. When Huff was out, NIU had zero play-makers. They'll need to find one next year. While I like Harbison, I think hes more of a Bouagnon type chain mover. Not a home run guy.

I'll be excited and optimistic about the 18 Huskies.
11-25-2017 11:49 AM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

They will have plenty of talent to excel if and only if they can get improved QB play.

Could come from Childers IF we have a coach capable of helping him. More likely it will have to come from someone else if Carey is capable of having an open mind.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2017 01:02 PM by bikechuck.)
11-25-2017 12:52 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Huskies run this same offense, no chance of success, doesn't matter one bit who the QB is if nothing changes. Teams know how to bottle up NIU, it is pretty straight forward with the primitive conservative style. The biggest challenge in offseason will be revamping this offense, and that will be up to Carey.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2017 02:19 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
11-25-2017 02:18 PM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

I'm pretty down on the Huskies right now after watching their worst game probably since Boise State. I predict they go 5-7 next year with a 0-4 OOC record and a 5-3 MAC record. The defense will still be very good, but the offense won't improve much at all. The Huskies wont be lucky enough to face so many teams playing their third or forth string QBs. Depending on who the Huskies have to play from the MAC East, next season could be real ugly.

If you think I'm being over dramatic, just look at the stats. The Huskies were 9th in the MAC in total offense, 106th in all FBS for yards per play, and tied for 9th in all FBS for most third downs a game. At one point during the season, one of the CBS announcers said the Huskies had the third most three and outs in the nation. I wouldn't think that number got better with the last few games.
11-25-2017 02:50 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
(11-25-2017 02:50 PM)timxlydon Wrote:  I'm pretty down on the Huskies right now after watching their worst game probably since Boise State. I predict they go 5-7 next year with a 0-4 OOC record and a 5-3 MAC record. The defense will still be very good, but the offense won't improve much at all. The Huskies wont be lucky enough to face so many teams playing their third or forth string QBs. Depending on who the Huskies have to play from the MAC East, next season could be real ugly.

If you think I'm being over dramatic, just look at the stats. The Huskies were 9th in the MAC in total offense, 106th in all FBS for yards per play, and tied for 9th in all FBS for most third downs a game. At one point during the season, one of the CBS announcers said the Huskies had the third most three and outs in the nation. I wouldn't think that number got better with the last few games.

I think with all the coaching changes there will be quite a few QBs available as a grad transfers. Need to look there hard to get a QB. I don't think Hall will be anywhere ready to lead the team. I hope one of the QBs prove me wrong though.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2017 02:52 PM by HuskiePride12.)
11-25-2017 02:52 PM
Advertisement

StevenNIU Offline
1st String

The two areas hardest hit by graduation appear to be cornerback and wide receiver. At cornerback, Daniel Isom and Tifonte Hunt played a lot last year so there is some returning experience to go with Smalls and Embry. At receiver, Spencer Tears or D.J.Brown will need to become The Man and it would be great if the Robinson boys step up with their size to create match-up problems.

If the offense can create some consistency and they survive the early gauntlet,it could be a very interesting season.
11-25-2017 03:01 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
I think weasely will step in nice next year for more reps and Saffold will be back. Parchament will see a lot more snaps than this year too. Not to worried about the WR position. Tears is only getting better too
11-25-2017 03:08 PM
NILAW Offline

(11-25-2017 03:01 PM)StevenNIU Wrote:  The two areas hardest hit by graduation appear to be cornerback and wide receiver. At cornerback, Daniel Isom and Tifonte Hunt played a lot last year so there is some returning experience to go with Smalls and Embry. At receiver, Spencer Tears or D.J.Brown will need to become The Man and it would be great if the Robinson boys step up with their size to create match-up problems.

If the offense can create some consistency and they survive the early gauntlet,it could be a very interesting season.

Let's not forget Cole Tucker at WR also. We will have plenty of talent at WR, but can Childers or someone else get them the ball?

We should be good at RB. I like Harbs, and we have Nettles and Rowell; I would not be surprised to see Rowell light it up. Jones shows some good things at times, but I do not see him close to being a feature back.

We could be OK at CB if Isom can stay healthy. We need someone to step in for Smalls; he had a good FR year, but this year he had been a big liability.
11-25-2017 03:15 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I think people are really really missing the mark to think the QB situation alone is going to dictate NIU's success next year. It needs to be completely overhauled, the offense needs to be revamped. It doesn't matter if you put Logan Woodside behind center for NIU right now, you would get the same results. NIU has to run some type of offense, with receivers running real routes. Will Carey be stubborn and continue the same old same old, or will he adapt?
11-25-2017 03:53 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

Change is hard when you had an identity so long but it became so apparent this year that NIU is playing checkers when other teams are playing chess on offense. NIU needs to do something like Iowa did and hire someone to be completely independent and in charge of the offense. Carey needs to keep away from the offense even down to decisions on who to start. Until carey goes or somehow offense is completely delegated away, I don't see this thing improving
11-25-2017 04:08 PM
Advertisement

PrideinthePack2 Offline
Special Teams

Brutal non-conference schedule, shouldn’t expect much there.

They get Toledo and Central Michigan at home. MAC Championship or bust.

It would be nice to win a Bowl too.
11-25-2017 04:09 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(11-25-2017 04:09 PM)PrideinthePack2 Wrote:  Brutal non-conference schedule, shouldn’t expect much there.

They get Toledo and Central Michigan at home. MAC Championship or bust.

It would be nice to win a Bowl too.

Well, for sure the loss to CMU is guaranteed.
11-25-2017 04:27 PM
nucyberdawg Offline
2nd String

(11-25-2017 03:53 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  I think people are really really missing the mark to think the QB situation alone is going to dictate NIU's success next year. It needs to be completely overhauled, the offense needs to be revamped. It doesn't matter if you put Logan Woodside behind center for NIU right now, you would get the same results. NIU has to run some type of offense, with receivers running real routes. Will Carey be stubborn and continue the same old same old, or will he adapt?

Many above rest their expectations on some miraculous QB solution or a change in Offensive systems or coaching changes. Neither a likelihood so are we are doomed to being bridesmaids again?

MD2 et al.
Are you suggesting NIU receivers did not run real routes well? I think it was more about consistently delivering the ball off the right foot more often to allow receivers to make more plays more often.

Beebe's dad in TV booth vrs WMU said otherwise about running crisp routes.

Defend ______________________________
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2017 05:37 PM by nucyberdawg.)
11-25-2017 05:27 PM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

(11-25-2017 03:53 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  I think people are really really missing the mark to think the QB situation alone is going to dictate NIU's success next year. It needs to be completely overhauled, the offense needs to be revamped. It doesn't matter if you put Logan Woodside behind center for NIU right now, you would get the same results. NIU has to run some type of offense, with receivers running real routes. Will Carey be stubborn and continue the same old same old, or will he adapt?

I agree that the offense needs a change, but GTFO with that Logan Woodside nonsense. You're only saying that so you can avoid admitting how bad Childers is. Childers failed to complete a pass on the very real "go" route all year. The dude is bad and you need to admit it or else you will be just as stubborn as you say Carey is. Will you continue with your same old same old or will you adapt?
11-25-2017 05:46 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
Need a playmaker, not convinced one on campus. Have not seen a back that make plays. Power is one thing, but need a RB that can bust it. WMU,UT and CMU should all be favored over us next year. Like to see a JC guy with wheels. BTW, can we get a guy that can return a kick, gosh that is a major weakness
11-25-2017 05:53 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(11-25-2017 05:46 PM)timxlydon Wrote:  

I agree that the offense needs a change, but GTFO with that Logan Woodside nonsense. You're only saying that so you can avoid admitting how bad Childers is. Childers failed to complete a pass on the very real "go" route all year. The dude is bad and you need to admit it or else you will be just as stubborn as you say Carey is. Will you continue with your same old same old or will you adapt?

Its very disturbing to me to see people throw a redshirt freshman under the bus when the underlying problem is a coach who makes 400 hundred thousand dollars a year that refuses to put an offense in place that allows players to succeed.
11-25-2017 05:56 PM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

(11-25-2017 05:53 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  Need a playmaker, not convinced one on campus. Have not seen a back that make plays. Power is one thing, but need a RB that can bust it. WMU,UT and CMU should all be favored over us next year. Like to see a JC guy with wheels. BTW, can we get a guy that can return a kick, gosh that is a major weakness

All of the Huskies RBs averaged over 4.2 YPC, so I doubt they will try to bring in any juco guys at RB. I also believe the RBs don't "bust" off more bigger runs because they are coached to fall before big contact. Not just the RBs, but the WRs too. I could be wrong, but to me it looked like they would always fall over instead of getting yards after contract or yards after catch.

I think our kick return was decent, but our punt return was pretty bad. It's been awhile since the Huskies have had a good punt returner.
11-25-2017 06:02 PM
Djud Offline
Special Teams

(11-25-2017 05:56 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

Its very disturbing to me to see people throw a redshirt freshman under the bus when the underlying problem is a coach who makes 400 hundred thousand dollars a year that refuses to put an offense in place that allows players to succeed.

MD try to answer this question....what would you like to see specific to deep routes, that you have not seen this year? A deep route has very little variation; it’s all about getting separation between the defender and the receiver. It has basically 3 variations a straight go; a post or a flag. There the same routes Santa has a high completion % on.
It’s all about getting the ball to the WR in stride. These plays were open on a consistent basis all year; Childers has simply failed to make these passes. There is no disputing that; you seem to want to blame the coaches for that. Childers may end up being great; and he is being given the opportunity to do that. What stands in the way of him taking the next step as a QB is this exact area of his game.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2017 06:18 PM by Djud.)
11-25-2017 06:10 PM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

(11-25-2017 05:56 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

Carey doesn't make the throws. Carey doesn't have a completion percentage of 57%. If Childers was completing 70% of his passes and had the ability to hit a wide open receiver running in stride then maybe more people would get behind your argument. Instead you blame everyone but Childers and refuse to acknowledge how mediocre he is. If Childers' issues are Carey's fault then so are Graham's and Santa's, but you have no problem blasting them. Carey's offense produced a third place heisman runner up, so your argument that it doesn't allow players to succeed is null.
11-25-2017 06:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.