Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Great TV Contract Negotiation of 2020. (WCC,MW,CUSA,Sun Belt,AAC, BYU)
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
The Great TV Contract Negotiation of 2020. (WCC,MW,CUSA,Sun Belt,AAC, BYU)
There are 5 conferences and BYU that are up for a new TV contract at the end of the 2020 academic season and they are CUSA, Sun Belt, AAC, WCC and the MW.

You have to wonder if there is going to be some movement and under the table TV discussions with potential schools moving around. We may get more regional setup,
My thoughts: BYU will stay Indy. Even if there is more pressure to join a conference I think they'll take an Indy setup with ESPN again.

What will happen very likely: Everyone stays the same monetary wise with some having a slight haircut (BYU football).

BYU stays Indy and re-signs with ESPN even with less money.

The MW will signup with someone besides CBS/ESPN and go more digital with the MW Network. Stadium will play a bigger role and possibly NBC sports could be in play.

The AAC will stay with ESPN.

CUSA will have Stadium and maybe Fox Sports

Sun Belt will stay with ESPN as they won't have many options for them and they'll be like the MAC with a lot of their games on ESPN3.

The WCC will stay with ESPN.
--------------------------------------------------
Some surprises that could happen:

We may see WCC expansion. Look for them to possibly bring GCU into the fold along with a possibility of Cal Baptist upping the profile of the WCC. Giving the WCC a market in Phoenix and another LA area school for the TV package with ESPN.

With GCU/Cal Baptist departure the WAC basically cannot survive. UMKC is they are still around looks elsewhere.

With the demise of the WAC I had thought perhaps the MW would split with the front range schools keeping the MW and adding NMSU, UTEP and the rest of the Texas schools. While BSU, USU and the west division add the Montanas and take over the WAC.
However, being that the CFP is set with the 5 non-contract conferences, it would not be possible since the contract would have to be changed for a 6 non-contract conference to partake in the NY6 bowl bid along with the CFP$$ and I don't see it happening.

The Southland could also take the opportunity to split and the new conference take the WAC auto-bid spot.

If the timing was right with a renewal of the CFP contract, I could see CUSA splitting and taking over the WAC auto-bid. But, we might see CUSA adding two to have the first super conference in the CFP era adding NMSU and Texas St.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2017 08:00 PM by MWC Tex.)
11-24-2017 07:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
RE: The Great TV Contract Negotiation of 2020. (WCC,MW,CUSA,Sun Belt,AAC, BYU)
The American will probably divide up the contract up among ESPN, NBC, and CBS. 5 to 8 million per school
BYU isn't taking less money and I doubt they are offered less. Probably staying with ESPN with a slight bump.
MWC, maybe ESPN, CBS and digital option for similar money. Not sure if the American or any else raids the league.

Every other league is so far down the list that just being on TV is a huge victory. C-USA is the best of that group but the money isn't there despite the fact there is usually a good team or two at the top of the league.
11-24-2017 09:28 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
I would like to see the American make a move...I think they've become the best G5 conference. I'm all for them becoming P6
11-24-2017 09:49 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(11-24-2017 07:56 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  We may see WCC expansion. Look for them to possibly bring GCU into the fold along with a possibility of Cal Baptist upping the profile of the WCC. Giving the WCC a market in Phoenix and another LA area school for the TV package with ESPN.

If the WCC expands it'll be by adding Seattle from the WAC, not GCU. I don't see the University presidents from primarily small California privates voting to add a for-profit online school, whereas Seattle fits their profile well and is based in a major West coast population center that doubles as a major center of basketball talent as well.

Cal Baptist could maybe get a look from them down the line, especially if BYU and Gonzaga both find the new homes they're looking for, but I think the WCC would be happy to let the WAC hold o to them through the first several seasons while Cal Baptist establishes a track record and makes the case that they'd be a worthwhile add.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2017 09:06 PM by Bogg.)
11-25-2017 09:06 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Isn't Gonzaga adamantly opposed to Seattle coming in, or is that one of those heavy rumors that has migrated into fact?

I wouldn't think that Cal Baptist, which would essentially still be a D2 callup, gets a look from the WCC that early. Denver, perhaps?

I also suspect that the NCAA wouldn't be broken up over losing an auto-bid.
11-25-2017 10:40 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(11-25-2017 10:40 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  Isn't Gonzaga adamantly opposed to Seattle coming in, or is that one of those heavy rumors that has migrated into fact?

I wouldn't think that Cal Baptist, which would essentially still be a D2 callup, gets a look from the WCC that early. Denver, perhaps?

I've heard that too.

I think Gonzaga is against any RPI anchors.

Prior to BYU WCC was at 8. Expansion would have meant an additional homr and home. Why would Gonzaga add a home and home with a potential RPI anchor that provided no new recruiting grounds when theyre trying to build a national program and play a national schedule.

BYU was a quality add that raised the national profile of the WCC and was exactly the type of school with whom Gonzaga would want a home and home. Pacific added another easy trip for all the other 6 WCC CA schools. Even if Gonzaga wanted to block them, it probably was not worth it politically.

Also while it may be easy to blame Gonzaga why else would anyone in the WCC want to add Seattle? Gonzaga and Portland is just a 5 1/2 hour trip up I84 so it's not as if they need a travel partner for the CA schools to save on travel costs
11-25-2017 11:02 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(11-25-2017 11:02 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(11-25-2017 10:40 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  Isn't Gonzaga adamantly opposed to Seattle coming in, or is that one of those heavy rumors that has migrated into fact?

I've heard that too.

I think Gonzaga is against any RPI anchors.

Prior to BYU WCC was at 8. Expansion would have meant an additional homr and home. Why would Gonzaga add a home and home with a potential RPI anchor that provided no new recruiting grounds when theyre trying to build a national program and play a national schedule.

BYU was a quality add that raised the national profile of the WCC and was exactly the type of school with whom Gonzaga would want a home and home. Pacific added another easy trip for all the other 6 WCC CA schools. Even if Gonzaga wanted to block them, it probably was not worth it politically.

Also while it may be easy to blame Gonzaga why else would anyone in the WCC want to add Seattle? Gonzaga and Portland is just a 5 1/2 hour trip up I84 so it's not as if they need a travel partner for the CA schools to save on travel costs

On top of that, apparently Gonzaga has a good presence, particular with regards to recruiting, in Seattle. Allowing SU entry probably wouldn't matter *that* much, at least in the short term, since there's an ocean-sized gulf between the two programs. But no reason to give a potential rival a boost in realizing their potential.
11-25-2017 11:12 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA

Unless if Seattle gets really hot the next few years, I’d be more inclined to think you’ll see Denver and Grand Canyon. The Mountain Time Zone allows for more reasonable 9 PM Eastern slots. The Summit may wind up with Northern Colorado if it needs to keep up its own numbers, as Denver will never add baseball or football, which may clear the way for the Big Sky to add more WAC members.

I agree the Southland will try to breakup. NMSU is obviously grounded until 2026, and no one wants UTRGV, so I’d think you would see this:

Cal Baptist (no football)
CSU Bakersfield (no football)
New Mexico State (FBS independent)
Abilene Christian
UTRGV (no football)
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (no football)
Sam Houston State
Stephen F. Austin State
11-25-2017 11:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
With virtually no TV value for the SBC or C-USA, it will be asinine if the schools in those two leagues do not realign geographically.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2017 11:22 PM by Michael in Raleigh.)
11-25-2017 11:14 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(11-25-2017 11:14 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  With virtually no TV value for the SBC or C-USA, it will be asinine if the schools in those two leagues do not realignment geographically.

Agree Agree agree

But they won't lol
11-25-2017 11:15 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(11-24-2017 09:28 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  The American will probably divide up the contract up among ESPN, NBC, and CBS. 5 to 8 million per school
BYU isn't taking less money and I doubt they are offered less. Probably staying with ESPN with a slight bump.
MWC, maybe ESPN, CBS and digital option for similar money. Not sure if the American or any else raids the league.

Every other league is so far down the list that just being on TV is a huge victory. C-USA is the best of that group but the money isn't there despite the fact there is usually a good team or two at the top of the league.

Thought AAC was getting around $1.8 million now. 270% to 440% seems optimistic given current circumstances.
11-25-2017 11:19 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(11-24-2017 07:56 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  There are 5 conferences and BYU that are up for a new TV contract at the end of the 2020 academic season and they are CUSA, Sun Belt, AAC, WCC and the MW.

Has CUSA signed a new deal that goes out to there? I've missed it.

I'm not so sure Sun Belt will expire in 2020. Last I knew the league was still in talks with ESPN over the conference title game, figure the league will angle to extend the overall package as part of that.
11-25-2017 11:26 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(11-25-2017 11:26 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(11-24-2017 07:56 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  There are 5 conferences and BYU that are up for a new TV contract at the end of the 2020 academic season and they are CUSA, Sun Belt, AAC, WCC and the MW.

I'm not so sure Sun Belt will expire in 2020. Last I knew the league was still in talks with ESPN over the conference title game, figure the league will angle to extend the overall package as part of that.

http://www.denverpioneers.com/sports/ath...11aac.html

Here is the article that I got the info. ESPN will show the 2018 and 2019 but the whole TV package comes to an end at the end of the 2019 -2020 academic year.
11-26-2017 12:34 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(11-26-2017 12:34 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

Here is the article that I got the info. ESPN will show the 2018 and 2019 but the whole TV package comes to an end at the end of the 2019 -2020 academic year.

Misunderstood my question.

I know Sun Belt deal runs to June 30, 2020 but as of the conference media day in July had not signed a contract for telecast of the title game and the conference said it was negotiating for that AND an extension of the TV contract. My point was that the Sun Belt may extend before we get that far along as result.

As for CUSA, current deal expires this year and last I heard they were still negotiating to get TV ironed out for next season.
11-26-2017 01:07 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(11-25-2017 11:15 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(11-25-2017 11:14 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  With virtually no TV value for the SBC or C-USA, it will be asinine if the schools in those two leagues do not realignment geographically.

Agree Agree agree

But they won't lol

Would it make sense to put together an 8 team conference that is top to bottom more comparable in FB strength to the AAC?

Marshall
Western Ky
Middle Tenn
Ark State
LaTech
Louisiana
Southern Miss
UAB

Probably not too different than current CUSA.....but a Texas breakaway might be.

New Mexico St
UTEP
UTSA
North Texas
Rice
Texas State
Louisiana
Louisiana Tech
11-26-2017 02:22 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(11-25-2017 11:19 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(11-24-2017 09:28 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  The American will probably divide up the contract up among ESPN, NBC, and CBS. 5 to 8 million per school

Thought AAC was getting around $1.8 million now. 270% to 440% seems optimistic given current circumstances.

The consensus on the AAC board is that, because their conference was new and unstable when their deal was being negotiated, their current number doesn't count.
11-26-2017 09:24 AM
Advertisement

megadrone Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(11-26-2017 09:24 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(11-25-2017 11:19 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

The consensus on the AAC board is that, because their conference was new and unstable when their deal was being negotiated, their current number doesn't count.
But I still see them dividing the contract and going to different digital distributions.
11-26-2017 09:40 AM
goodknightfl Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The AAC gets a total of 2.2 mil. CBS owns a small package of BB games. The AAC gets nothing for its champ game on this deal, I expect that to be sold separately. I would also expect us to break out a tier 2 this go round to be sold to CBS/NBC/Fox. The conf was a dumpster fire last time, without all of its pieces even in place or Wichita, It is a different story today..

The P5 gets 20 mil for champ game, ours has been competitive with theirs. so I could see 5+ mil right there. would be .4 mil per team. 3 to 5 mil for tier one and 2 for tier 2. 4.5 to 7 mil is within reach and if you look at the ratings, would still be a huge bargain.
11-26-2017 10:00 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(11-26-2017 01:07 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

I know Sun Belt deal runs to June 30, 2020 but as of the conference media day in July had not signed a contract for telecast of the title game and the conference said it was negotiating for that AND an extension of the TV contract. My point was that the Sun Belt may extend before we get that far along as result.

As for CUSA, current deal expires this year and last I heard they were still negotiating to get TV ironed out for next season.

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/news/2017/7...s-now.aspx

Yes, there is some talk of extension but nothing signed yet......

Regarding CUSA I think I got confused with the BeIN contract that ends in 2019. There was suppose to be negotiations this past spring with Stadium, CBS Sports and ESPN but nothing has been done and signed. Don't know what is going on with that....guess they have BeIN to fall back on till they could get a whole package done.
Best article I could find.
https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/o...31fca.html
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2017 10:42 AM by MWC Tex.)
11-26-2017 10:23 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(11-26-2017 10:23 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(11-26-2017 01:07 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/news/2017/7...s-now.aspx

Yes, there is some talk of extension but nothing signed yet......

Regarding CUSA I think I got confused with the BeIN contract that ends in 2019. There was suppose to be negotiations this past spring with Stadium, CBS Sports and ESPN but nothing has been done and signed. Don't know what is going on with that....guess they have BeIN to fall back on till they could get a whole package done.
Best article I could find.
https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/o...31fca.html

Ah forgot about the BeIN deal going to 2019. Clears that up.
11-26-2017 11:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.