Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game Week: @Indiana
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
MyBB Game Week: @Indiana
Guess it will seem like forever, but we need to wait a whole FIVE days to play again and it will be @Indiana.

(but hey, for Lions' and EMU FB fans, the Lions have two games and EMU FB closes out vs. BG. So we'll be watching the oblong object instead of the round one during the next 5 days).

Staying with the FB metaphors, I'd guess IU will be a touchdown favorite Friday.

The game will be on BTN and for those with DirecTV DVR systems, it shouldn't be hard to synch their telecast and our broadcast. Who wants to listen to B1G homers, anyway... And beating a storied B1G team on a national television network is always a good thing.

Are we not getting to the part of the schedule where we REALLY need the bench to step up? Groce has been the sole reliable player off the bench so far.

And now the schedule gets to be fun: IU, So. Fl., N. Fl. and Oakland.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2017 06:06 AM by emu steve.)
11-19-2017 05:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: Game Week: @Indiana
(11-19-2017 05:44 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Guess it will seem like forever, but we need to wait a whole FIVE days to play again and it will be @Indiana.

(but hey, for Lions' and EMU FB fans, the Lions have two games and EMU FB closes out vs. BG. So we'll be watching the oblong object instead of the round one during the next 5 days).

Staying with the FB metaphors, I'd guess IU will be a touchdown favorite Friday.

The game will be on BTN and for those with DirecTV DVR systems, it shouldn't be hard to synch their telecast and our broadcast. Who wants to listen to B1G homers, anyway... And beating a storied B1G team on a national television network is always a good thing.

Are we not getting to the part of the schedule where we REALLY need the bench to step up? Groce has been the sole reliable player off the bench so far.

And now the schedule gets to be fun: IU, So. Fl., N. Fl. and Oakland.

I'm excited to see how we match up against Indiana. I've watched our team play twice now and I've seen some very nice changes over last season. I'm hoping we have a very, very competitive road trip and absolutely must beat Oakland. First up Indiana - who's got the scouting report?
11-19-2017 09:51 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

We've had some brilliant moments, and also some moments of concern. It's odd that our defense looked better against the D1 teams than the NAIA ones, but you can probably chalk that up to respect for the opponent.

Offensively, we've looked great in transition, and also had some nice half court moments against the man-to-man. Our zone offense is a mess with no real player movement...just forced passes to Minnie in the high post or Thompson down low. We've still yet to face the real "adversity", which is Thompson being in foul trouble early in the game. He's done well to avoid the ticky-tack calls, and needs to keep that up in this brutal stretch of schedule.

I think, if we can force Indiana into long threes and errant passes, we have a great chance to win. Jackson and Minnie need to be on their A games, and Thompson needs to stay on the floor. If we play like we did in the last 5 minutes against Howard, we will be in trouble.
11-19-2017 10:25 AM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Indiana's starting forward Juwan Morgan injured his ankle against Howard. If I had to guess, he'll probably see minutes against us, but won't be 100%.
11-19-2017 03:08 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Indiana plays South Florida today at 6:00 on BTN, if anyone wants to watch.
11-19-2017 03:10 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

(11-19-2017 03:08 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  Indiana's starting forward Juwan Morgan injured his ankle against Howard. If I had to guess, he'll probably see minutes against us, but won't be 100%.

Check that. Morgan is starting tonight and is seemingly healthy.
11-19-2017 06:12 PM
Advertisement

FrankAnderson Offline
All American

USF leads Indiana 34-33 at halftime. Defensively South Florida has used... (wait for it).... a 2-3 zone.

IU offensive has had trouble with it but has the athletes and perimeter shooting to keep it tight. This is a good preview of what we can expect against them.
11-19-2017 07:01 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-19-2017 07:01 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  USF leads Indiana 34-33 at halftime. Defensively South Florida has used... (wait for it).... a 2-3 zone.

IU offensive has had trouble with it but has the athletes and perimeter shooting to keep it tight. This is a good preview of what we can expect against them.

I saw that. I didn't think the So. FL zone looked crisp but they did run it.
11-20-2017 07:18 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

I watched Indiana State crush Indiana in Bloomington. They looked horrible. Really bad team. EMU should be able to beat them.
11-20-2017 08:38 AM
EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

(11-20-2017 08:38 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  I watched Indiana State crush Indiana in Bloomington. They looked horrible. Really bad team. EMU should be able to beat them.

I saw EMU almost blow a game to Howard. No one is ever as good or as bad as it looks. I'm not going to predict a win in Bloomington, but I think we should be right there with them if we are getting a normal performance from JT, Minnie puts up 20, and we hold them under 40% from deep.
11-20-2017 09:48 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-20-2017 09:48 AM)EAGLE KING Wrote:  
(11-20-2017 08:38 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  I watched Indiana State crush Indiana in Bloomington. They looked horrible. Really bad team. EMU should be able to beat them.

I saw EMU almost blow a game to Howard. No one is ever as good or as bad as it looks. I'm not going to predict a win in Bloomington, but I think we should be right there with them if we are getting a normal performance from JT, Minnie puts up 20, and we hold them under 40% from deep.

Good ole Bob, trying to extrapolate based on one game. First game of the season and first with a new coach.

One game in MBB is essentially a non-random 3% sample of the season.

And a pretty non-representative sample too; ISU shot lights out behind the arc, something which IU probably won't see again this season, and certainly won't see from EMU.
11-20-2017 09:55 AM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

IU has some very talented guards and they beat a very talented SF team last night. IU also has a couple talented big men. It will be interesting to see how Murphy decides to defend the low post? If we allow entry passes into the paint, then IU may become dangerous working inside and outside plus getting JT4 into foul trouble. Or does Rob Murphy play JT4 to deny the paint and front the post player with weak side help??

What type of defense did ISU play? Not rhetorical I really do not know :-)
11-20-2017 10:22 AM
JonesGoddard Offline
2nd String

A #staywoke comment: we've played Archie before when he was at Dayton, a few times I believe. So, Rob knows what to expect -- one would think.
11-20-2017 11:07 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

1) IU ended up beating USF by 17.
2) IU is now 2-2 on the season with a surprising first game loss to Indiana State and a reasonable loss to Seton Hall. The other win was by 9 over Howard.
3) I agree IU has shown some vulnerability this season. BUT the expectation is that they will beat a mid- major program at home (ie, EMU). This game is not a write off, but don't hold your breadth for an EMU victory...
11-20-2017 11:21 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Murphy's teams rarely do well on the road against big name teams. Syracuse, Kentucky, Duke, MSU, etc. A win is possible but not likely.
11-20-2017 11:35 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-20-2017 11:35 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Murphy's teams rarely do well on the road against big name teams. Syracuse, Kentucky, Duke, MSU, etc. A win is possible but not likely.

We rarely do well against big name teams. UofM is a noted exception. 02-13-banana

Last big name teams we've beaten on the road, other than UofM, have been Syracuse (1997, I think) and Duke (1996, neutral site NCAAs.)

Am I missing any the last 25 years?
11-20-2017 11:46 AM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(11-20-2017 11:46 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(11-20-2017 11:35 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Murphy's teams rarely do well on the road against big name teams. Syracuse, Kentucky, Duke, MSU, etc. A win is possible but not likely.

We rarely do well against big name teams. UofM is a noted exception. 02-13-banana

Last big name teams we've beaten on the road, other than UofM, have been Syracuse (1997, I think) and Duke (1996, neutral site NCAAs.)

Am I missing any the last 25 years?

I would include Penn State and Mississippi State during 1991 sweet 16 run....
Plus Texas Tech when Boykins and Dial were sophomores
11-20-2017 01:51 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(11-20-2017 09:55 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Good ole Bob, trying to extrapolate based on one game. First game of the season and first with a new coach.

And a pretty non-representative sample too; ISU shot lights out behind the arc, something which IU probably won't see again this season, and certainly won't see from EMU.

Bob needs to extrapolate I mean evaporate.
11-20-2017 02:50 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(11-20-2017 02:50 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(11-20-2017 09:55 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Bob needs to extrapolate I mean evaporate.
Clever. This place is a real think tank! Donald Trump's cabinet has nothing on you! No sir.
11-20-2017 02:56 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Vegasinsiders.com has IU an 8 point favorite which sounds right to me.
11-23-2017 06:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.