Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Women's BB
Bookmark and Share
Fubar Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Red & Black
Women's BB
I didn't know they had a good season last year? But that's probably the point...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/...777455001/

Mark my words, in today's PC Title 9 environment safe space reality we'll soon be required to attend a women's game for every male one we go to in the name of equality...

11-16-2017 07:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: Women's BB
Kate Murphy is your typical reporter employee over at the fishwrap: an east-coast elitist who attended a small private college who thinks it's their job to enlighten us rubes in flyover country.

For some reason UC's existence just really bothers these people.

11-16-2017 07:48 AM
Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(11-16-2017 07:17 AM)Fubar Wrote:  I didn't know they had a good season last year? But that's probably the point...

I believe there was a thread dedicated to the WBB team last year, and a lot of us expressed a bit of excitement for a halfway decent team last year.

11-16-2017 08:02 AM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
Not to get political, but this kind of crap is the reason Trump got elected. People are getting at wits end with this nonsense. They can't even fill a quarter of a high school gym up, and from what I gather the team and coach seem happy about the choice. Yet some out of town SJW feels the need to come and try to "fix" it, by costing tax payers and students more money to send the girls to an arena they don't want to play at anyway? This is just so 2017

11-16-2017 08:23 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
Can anyone copy/paste the good bits? I'm out of free views and there's no way in hell I'm giving the Enquirer any money (probably in no small part due to articles like this).

11-16-2017 08:35 AM
dubcat14 Offline
1st String

(11-16-2017 08:35 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Can anyone copy/paste the good bits? I'm out of free views and there's no way in hell I'm giving the Enquirer any money (probably in no small part due to articles like this).

deleting your browsing history/cache resets your views... handy piece of info.

11-16-2017 08:36 AM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline

(11-16-2017 08:36 AM)dubcat14 Wrote:  
(11-16-2017 08:35 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Can anyone copy/paste the good bits? I'm out of free views and there's no way in hell I'm giving the Enquirer any money (probably in no small part due to articles like this).

You see...I tried that, even another browser, and for some reason it isn't working anymore. Maybe the Enquirer finally got into 2005 with their online security...nahhh

11-16-2017 08:41 AM
djtothemoney Offline
2nd String

Bascially they are saying it's wrong that they are forcing the women's teams to play at St. Ursula or Ursuline or whatever it is. Even though they put their own court down and probably have a better atmosphere, instead of them playing at BB&T arena in front of 30 people and paying $20k a match.

They are going to have a state of the art arena next year, suck it up.

11-16-2017 08:41 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
Everything has to be a left right issue with some of you. I'm left and think the idea that there is anything wrong with the setup is an idiotic take. I know many on the left that agree with me. UC did a good job getting a good place to play for all its programs that fit the needs of the athletic department and was fair to the programs. The women's teams will have an amazing facility next year, just like the men. This is a nonissue.

11-16-2017 08:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
These Title IX morons realize that overspending for a bigger arena that's not needed would be taking away opportunities by pulling away money that could be used elsewhere, right?

11-16-2017 08:46 AM
dubcat14 Offline
1st String

(11-16-2017 08:41 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(11-16-2017 08:36 AM)dubcat14 Wrote:  

You see...I tried that, even another browser, and for some reason it isn't working anymore. Maybe the Enquirer finally got into 2005 with their online security...nahhh

thats odd.

"Two black banners exclaiming "We wear Cincinnati" are draped over the blue mats on the walls of each endline at St. Ursula Academy's gymnasium.

More than 300 fans dressed in red and black shout "B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S" while standing in a single set of blue and gold stands that read SUA. They are led by a pep band and accompanied by the University of Cincinnati cheer and dance teams.

The players and coaches sit in red and black "Cincinnati" branded chairs, but the lines on the court don't match. There's no "C" paw logo stamped to the center of the wood floor at the private all-girls Catholic high school.

This local high school is "home" for the University of Cincinnati women's basketball team, which is coming off its most successful season in a decade.

UC's Division 1 women's basketball and volleyball teams are playing their home games on this court this season, while Fifth Third Arena is under renovation. Meanwhile, the men are playing at Northern Kentucky University's BB&T Arena.

"This is an opportunity for us to make this as intimate of an environment as we possibly can," said Jamelle Elliott, UC women's basketball head coach. "We have to take advantage of this home court advantage because it could be one if we make it."

The Lady Bearcats pounded the Southeastern Louisiana Lions 82-43 in their first game at St. Ursula. The gym in East Walnut Hills is less than a tenth of the size of their former home court.

Elliott said the smaller gym made the pep band feel louder than it did at Fifth Third Arena. Players could hear the fans' "airball" and "D-fense" chants. The energy wasn't swallowed by a big arena.

There wasn't a quiet moment in the gym, except when there was a Lady Bearcat at the free-throw line.

"We just wanted to make it as loud as possible and a tough environment for the opponent," sophomore guard Antoinette Miller said. "Having our supporters here, it still feels like a home game."

The team didn't have an official practice in the gym before the gameday shootaround but seemed comfortable enough with the rims. Miller put up 20 points and the team shot 60 percent from the field.

This was the team's first outing at St. Ursula, but it's home-opener and an exhibition game were played at Cincinnati State Technical and Community College. UC officials said that gym is even smaller than the one at St. Ursula, which has about 1,000 seats.

The men, on the other hand, have been playing in NKU's arena that holds more than 9,000.

National experts and local community leaders said UC's decision to choose these locations discriminates against women and violates federal law.

"The fact that this is even within the realm of possibility ... speaks to the value that we place on women’s sports in our culture," Cheryl Cooky, an associate professor at Purdue University, told The Enquirer last spring. "Even in 2017 women are still second-class citizens in the world of collegiate athletics."

Cooky is an expert on Title IX, which ensures universities provide all student-athletes equitable access to resources including facilities, equipment, practice times and coaching. She said the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights would investigate the situation if someone filed a federal Title IX complaint, though no one has.

UC administrators have defended the choice.

Athletic director Mike Bohn has said playing at St. Ursula creates a "competitive advantage" for the program and student-athletes. The "significantly smaller venue" that's close to campus will provide a strong gameday environment and boost energy, he said. It also accommodates space for the UC band and cheerleaders, areas for post-game and courtside live media coverage, digital signage along the court and lights above the basket.

St. Ursula's gym and convocation center, which opened in 2003, is built to NCAA specifications and is less than two miles from UC's campus. The university is paying St. Ursula $1,650 per game and $60 per hour for practices, according to the contract. The volleyball team is guaranteed at least 10 games and the basketball team is guaranteed at least 15 games at the facility.

Fans will also have free admission and parking for all volleyball and basketball games, as they did at Fifth Third Arena last season.

11-16-2017 08:48 AM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline

(11-16-2017 08:46 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  These Title IX morons realize that overspending for a bigger arena that's not needed would be taking away opportunities by pulling away money that could be used elsewhere, right?

No...I mean, why else would they argue for a program that actually limits and hamstrings one gender? Yes, I'm partial to this program being launched into the sun because it ruined my brother's soccer career, my cousin's baseball career, and countless other people didn't have an opportunity because of it. Luckily I went to a school that still full-funded the sport I played, but many are no-where near that lucky.

11-16-2017 09:00 AM
MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
(11-16-2017 08:45 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Everything has to be a left right issue with some of you. I'm left and think the idea that there is anything wrong with the setup is an idiotic take. I know many on the left that agree with me. UC did a good job getting a good place to play for all its programs that fit the needs of the athletic department and was fair to the programs. The women's teams will have an amazing facility next year, just like the men. This is a nonissue.

I agree, dude. Not everything is a left/right issue. Sometimes dumb people say dumb things (shocking, I know!). Disregard and move on.

11-16-2017 09:01 AM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
Sounds like they should play there all the time. I'd rather be really good in a small gym, than bad in a big gym.

11-16-2017 09:09 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(11-16-2017 08:45 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Everything has to be a left right issue with some of you. I'm left and think the idea that there is anything wrong with the setup is an idiotic take. I know many on the left that agree with me. UC did a good job getting a good place to play for all its programs that fit the needs of the athletic department and was fair to the programs. The women's teams will have an amazing facility next year, just like the men. This is a nonissue.

I'm of the same leanings and I hate that this is even brought up. It's just another way for someone to try to project a victimization when it's obvious that the team and players don't see it that way.

11-16-2017 09:15 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(11-16-2017 09:09 AM)dsquare Wrote:  Sounds like they should play there all the time. I'd rather be really good in a small gym, than bad in a big gym.

I was actually thinking the same thing. Same with our volleyball team that played there in the Fall.

There is actually a lot of benefits from playing at St. Ursula. I saw a few volleyball highlights on BearcatsTV and it looked like they had good crowds. I think what likely happened was the students attended the games after schools. If I were UC I'd just schedule basketball after the last bell and coordinate with SUA to pack the house every contest.

On top of this, I think it would help with recruiting locally for those sports.

11-16-2017 09:16 AM
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
Title 9 is a PC abortion. It gives no effect to revenue generation.

If give effect to revenue then equality is fine.

At a UConn or TN WBB are revenue generators at UC 300 fans doesn't pay the light bill.

11-16-2017 09:40 AM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
(11-16-2017 09:15 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

I'm of the same leanings and I hate that this is even brought up. It's just another way for someone to try to project a victimization when it's obvious that the team and players don't see it that way.

Same here. There are people out there who wake up every morning and start looking for something to feel offended about. There are many on the left and many on the right.

Folks who wake up every morning looking for something else to blame on the left/right are just as intolerable. 05-nono

11-16-2017 09:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Yeah, just because the author is of a particular leaning doesn't mean everyone on that side feels that way. This author is an instigator, and there's plenty of those on both sides. This is a common sense issue not a political issue.

11-16-2017 10:02 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(11-16-2017 10:02 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  Yeah, just because the author is of a particular leaning doesn't mean everyone on that side feels that way. This author is an instigator, and there's plenty of those on both sides. This is a common sense issue not a political issue.

Enquirer writer Kate Murphy:

[Image: 17-1-24-AshleyJudd-grabbing-self.jpg]

11-16-2017 10:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.