Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

PhD: Small Desks Cause ‘Hostile’ Environment For Fat Students
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
PhD: Small Desks Cause ‘Hostile’ Environment For Fat Students
[Image: 16g9wec.jpg]

“thin privilege and fat hatred.”....so if you are white and thin, you now have two privileges?

Quote:The executive director of a research institute at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte (UNCC) recently argued that small desks cause a “hostile physical environment” to fat students.

Heather Brown, who heads the Women and Girls Research Alliance at UNCC, published an article in the new issue of the Fat Studies journal titled “There’s always stomach on the table and I gotta write! Physical space and learning in fat college women.”

For her research, Brown interviewed 13 fat women in college, ultimately finding that “classroom design and furniture,” especially “too-small desks,” not only make fat women feel “unwanted,” but also perpetuate “thin privilege and fat hatred.”

Kari, one student that Brown interviewed, lamented that she felt “self-conscious” in classes because of the size of the desks, saying, “I can’t help thinking about it, and then it would turn into, like, ‘Maybe if I lose ten pounds then I wouldn’t look so fat in this desk…’”

Later, Kari told Brown that she was too distracted in her classes to focus.

“Sometimes, it’s just, like, ‘Do I look okay in this shirt? What if someone’s looking at me weird? What if I don’t look good in this shirt? What if this shirt makes my arms look fat?’” Kari told Brown.

The fact that many fat students feel “fat stigma” on their campus may explain why they tend to get worse grades, Brown suggests, arguing that it “is not body weight but rather weight stigma that is a key barrier in learning.”

To fight this, Brown argues that colleges “must make attempts to alleviate the damage a hostile physical environment causes to fat women learners,” adding that this could be done by renovating classrooms with “differently sized chairs and tables.”

But Brown warns that colleges must be careful during renovations, because they could inadvertently make the situation worse, such as by implementing a “fat chair” or just a few seating options for fat students, since this could “further damage” fat students’ self-esteem.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10140
11-14-2017 11:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
RE: PhD: Small Desks Cause ‘Hostile’ Environment For Fat Students
Their self esteem should be "further damaged".
11-14-2017 11:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
(11-14-2017 11:36 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Their self esteem should be "further damaged".

Well, they don't seem to have a problem with the tables in the cafeteria.
11-14-2017 11:43 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Our Class Salutatorian was a fat, Latino female. She was smarter than a whip back then and has done very well for herself professionally all these years later.

Its no excuse.
11-14-2017 11:48 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Quote:“Sometimes, it’s just, like, ‘Do I look okay in this shirt? What if someone’s looking at me weird? What if I don’t look good in this shirt? What if this shirt makes my arms look fat?’” Kari told Brown.

Right, because skinny people never, ever, think these exact same things.
11-14-2017 12:24 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(11-14-2017 12:24 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
Quote:“Sometimes, it’s just, like, ‘Do I look okay in this shirt? What if someone’s looking at me weird? What if I don’t look good in this shirt? What if this shirt makes my arms look fat?’” Kari told Brown.

Right, because skinny people never, ever, think these exact same things.

Yes...but...the fatty knows the answer to all of those questions.
11-14-2017 12:33 PM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(11-14-2017 11:36 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Their self esteem should be "further damaged".

Imagine what it would do to their self-esteem if fat people had larger desks and chairs than everyone else. I'm sure that'd make them feel terrific!
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2017 01:12 PM by EverRespect.)
11-14-2017 01:12 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
I had a friend growing up that ended up dropping out of school because he was too fat. He weighed 450 pounds at age 16.

He told me straight up it was because he couldn't fit in the desks.
11-14-2017 01:18 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Perhaps the solution to this problem is the students laying off the third helping of ravioli and/or partaking in the existing gym facilities in place at most schools instead of spending additional taxpayer money on larger desks in some misguided attempt to make these fatass slobs feel better about themselves.
11-14-2017 01:23 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(11-14-2017 01:23 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Perhaps the solution to this problem is the students laying off the third helping of ravioli and/or partaking in the existing gym facilities in place at most schools instead of spending additional taxpayer money on larger desks in some misguided attempt to make these fatass slobs feel better about themselves.

Ah yes. Spoken like a true conservative. Forget about the feelings of the human being child. How much is it going to cost us.

For your information, my friend's father was a firefighter and he was murdered trying to stop a fight while working.

While that may be no excuse for the size of my friend, I am convinced that he developed an eating disorder because of the loss of his father.

But why should you care. Conservatives only care about how it's going to effect their wallet.
11-14-2017 01:44 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(11-14-2017 01:12 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Imagine what it would do to their self-esteem if fat people had larger desks and chairs than everyone else. I'm sure that'd make them feel terrific!

But it doesn't have to be that way. Being left handed, I always had to sit at right handed desks so I too was at a disadvantage.

When I became a teacher, the first thing I did was request tables and chairs.

This eliminated any issues with fat people and left handed people.
11-14-2017 01:46 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(11-14-2017 01:44 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  But why should you care. Conservatives only care about how it's going to effect their wallet.

Very few ever ask whether the taxpayer can afford the high cost of government so yes, we should all care about how government spending effects our wallets.

If this was a private school, the solution could be bigger desks. Don't care, not my money.

They keep telling us more government stuff will make our lives better, but it hasn't. I don't see fewer life stresses, more leisure time or a richer life experience being generated from this new Big Government world we're in. So the solution isn't bigger government desks. The solution is smarter lifestyle choices without government intrusion.

(Anywho, best of luck to your friend. Seems like a tough story.)
11-14-2017 01:50 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(11-14-2017 11:43 AM)usmbacker Wrote:  

Well, they don't seem to have a problem with the tables in the cafeteria.

brutal 03-lmfao
11-14-2017 01:51 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(11-14-2017 01:44 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(11-14-2017 01:23 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Perhaps the solution to this problem is the students laying off the third helping of ravioli and/or partaking in the existing gym facilities in place at most schools instead of spending additional taxpayer money on larger desks in some misguided attempt to make these fatass slobs feel better about themselves.

Ah yes. Spoken like a true conservative. Forget about the feelings of the human being child. How much is it going to cost us.

For your information, my friend's father was a firefighter and he was murdered trying to stop a fight while working.

While that may be no excuse for the size of my friend, I am convinced that he developed an eating disorder because of the loss of his father.

But why should you care. Conservatives only care about how it's going to effect their wallet.

Again, do you think fat people will feel better if they sit in desks larger than everyone else because they are fat? I think the intention is good, but the solution is poor.
11-14-2017 01:53 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(11-14-2017 01:53 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Again, do you think fat people will feel better if they sit in desks larger than everyone else because they are fat? I think the intention is good, but the solution is poor.

Again

Just exchange the desks for tables and chairs. I did and it didn't cost the tax payers a dime.

Not only did I eliminate two problems by doing this, I created an environment where students actually had to share supplies, and work together and learn together.

Imagine that.
11-14-2017 01:57 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(11-14-2017 01:57 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  

Again

Just exchange the desks for tables and chairs. I did and it didn't cost the tax payers a dime.

Not only did I eliminate two problems by doing this, I created an environment where students actually had to share supplies, and work together and learn together.

Imagine that.

The is a good idea on its own, but it still isn't going to do anything for the self-esteem of the fat. The only thing that will raise their self-esteem is either losing weight or perhaps finding a bbw admirer to mate with.
11-14-2017 02:03 PM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

(11-14-2017 02:03 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(11-14-2017 01:57 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  

Again

Imagine that.

The is a good idea on its own, but it still isn't going to do anything for the self-esteem of the fat. The only thing that will raise their self-esteem is either losing weight or perhaps finding a bbw admirer to mate with.

I don't think they are looking to improve his self esteem but just trying not to make it any worse.
11-14-2017 02:11 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

When I went out of work the first time with a knee injury from sliding down an embankment on a wreck in a rainstorm and was unable to exercise fully for six weeks and I gained enough weight that neither my uniforms nor turnout gear fit me properly when I came back on light duty. I could have acted like a leftist and just ordered new uniforms and gear because hey.....it's not my money!.....but in my department we were taught that one of our primary responsibilities was to be good stewards of the taxpayer's money even though the fire department was (and still is) the only segment of government at any level that saves you more money than you pay them in taxes through reduced fire insurance rates. What did I do instead? I went on a diet and exercised to get back to my fighting weight. By the time I went back on full duty I was actually 10lbs lighter than before.

But I guess that's the difference between someone who weighs all the applicable factors rather than just setting out to do whatever they can to screw the taxpayer.

BTW, my Father was killed in a car crash when I was ten and my brother was six. I guess instead of channeling our grief into constructive habits like school work, athletics and hard work we should have went the self-destructive route and become a burden upon the taxpayers ourselves. I guess we let our self-esteem get in the way of that though.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2017 02:27 PM by Kaplony.)
11-14-2017 02:24 PM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Just put a cupcake on the desk and it will be a whole lot less hostile to that fat kids
11-14-2017 02:29 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(11-14-2017 02:24 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

When I went out of work the first time with a knee injury from sliding down an embankment on a wreck in a rainstorm and was unable to exercise fully for six weeks and I gained enough weight that neither my uniforms nor turnout gear fit me properly when I came back on light duty. I could have acted like a leftist and just ordered new uniforms and gear because hey.....it's not my money!.....but in my department we were taught that one of our primary responsibilities was to be good stewards of the taxpayer's money even though the fire department was (and still is) the only segment of government at any level that saves you more money than you pay them in taxes through reduced fire insurance rates. What did I do instead? I went on a diet and exercised to get back to my fighting weight. By the time I went back on full duty I was actually 10lbs lighter than before.

But I guess that's the difference between someone who weighs all the applicable factors rather than just setting out to do whatever they can to screw the taxpayer.

BTW, my Father was killed in a car crash when I was ten and my brother was six. I guess instead of channeling our grief into constructive habits like school work, athletics and hard work we should have went the self-destructive route and become a burden upon the taxpayers ourselves. I guess we let our self-esteem get in the way of that though.

First of all, I am sorry that you got hurt and for the loss of your father.

Second

What happened to you and what happens to kids is different. You cannot compare your even to that of a child. You can't just tell a kid, "Hey lose some weight because whe don't want to waste tax payer money on your fat ass"

As for what happened to you and your bother as a kid. You were strong. My friend wasn't. Honestly, I think he needed help but none of us realized it back then.

I don't know how you feel about that. Maybe you believe in survival of the fittest and to hell with the weak ones.

Or maybe you believe that God made you stronger to protect the weaker ones.
11-14-2017 02:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.