Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Lacrosse : realignment, rivalries (postponed) and re-evaluation (costs)
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Maryland & Elon
Lacrosse : realignment, rivalries (postponed) and re-evaluation (costs)
So I was looking through some old thread and came across one about Johns Hopkins , Big Ten Lacrosse and the future . I did a quick internet search to see if anything new had popped up but nothing had. I did find an interesting article by College Crosse (an SB Nation affiliate). It talks about the difficulty of scheduling with both Hopkins and Navy in conferences and the loss of playing a long time rival (they've met 90 times).

They speculate about more schools adding lacrosse and the implications of that.

"As more schools add D1 lacrosse, things like Hopkins not playing Navy this year will continue to happen more frequently, so it doesn’t make sense to get all worked up about the inevitable. Indeed, I don’t think it is crazy to think schools like American, George Washington, George Mason, LaSalle, all get a men’s lacrosse program in the next 5-7 years, which would cause a major shake-up in college lacrosse. You may think its far-fetched, but all four schools have the right ingredients to add a men’s lacrosse program: they are all in talent rich areas, they each already have a women’s lacrosse program, they each sponsor more women’s sports than men’s sports, & none of them have a football program."

You could certainly see the creation and/or expansion of conference. The trickle down effect on some of the smaller conferences could be devistating.

"You could very well see an Atlantic 10 conference in men’s lacrosse in the next 5-10 years, if George Washington, George Mason, or LaSalle added a men’s lacrosse program. There are already four natural Atlantic 10 teams with D1 men’s lacrosse programs Richmond, UMass, St. Joe’s, & (in 2019) St. Bonaventure; the addition of one more A-10 team plus an associate member (maybe Cleveland St.) would give the Atlantic 10 six teams, and an automatic qualifier. The impact of the A-10 adding a conference would be significant, as conferences like the NEC, CAA, & SoCon would be affected if St. Joe’s, UMass, & or Richmond, respectively, left to form an A-10.

One of the most interesting parts of this article discussed how it made "financial sense" to add a lacrosse program. With schools tuition continuing to increase, less aid from their respective states and decreasing enrollment, St. Bonaventure athletic director Tim Kenney wanted to add the program.

""“Yeah, there are start-up costs and there’s some scholarship money, but it’s not a lot and its distributed among the team. “But, in exchange, we get 40 to 50 new students that we might not normally have and if they stay four years that’s a significant financial influx.”"

Overall, I just thought this was an interesting article about a quickly growing NCAA sport. I suggest you read the article, it's a good read.
11-12-2017 01:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Bogg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UConn
RE: Lacrosse : realignment, rivalries (postponed) and re-evaluation (costs)
It does seem like Atlantic-10 lacrosse is basically inevitable at this point. Even if no other A10 school adds it in the near future I could see the four lacrosse schools pushing the conference to sponsor by picking up two independents as affiliate members just for the easier path to an AQ bid. The AAC is launching a women's lacrosse conference using the same mechanism.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2017 03:24 PM by Bogg.)
11-12-2017 03:23 PM
jdgaucho Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCSB
All fine and dandy - but there's practically zero lacrosse out west save for Denver and Air Force. Down the line that will have to be addressed.
11-12-2017 03:48 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
All American

I Root For: the little guy
Remember that LaSalle had a run at football some years back, and it flopped. My money is on a repeat performance of that for lacrosse. This is to remain visible as an institution, not just for D1.

It's a small school in a bad part of town and not much on a campus feel. They're sucking wind to St. Joe's, who's getting whipped by Nova.

Philly and the surrounding area have a ton of Catholic schools. Too many. And none of them seem to want to throw in the towel, though all but three or four suffer.
11-12-2017 04:22 PM

Stugray2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: tOSU SJSU
I file this under "a good problem to have" for Lacrosse.

The sport is growing on the Coasts, especially the Mid-Atlantic and California
11-12-2017 04:41 PM
Bogg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UConn
(11-12-2017 04:22 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Remember that LaSalle had a run at football some years back, and it flopped. My money is on a repeat performance of that for lacrosse. This is to remain visible as an institution, not just for D1.

To be fair, and I'm about the furthest one can get from an expert on the topic, but it seems like there are hurdles to overcome in starting up football that just aren't there in lacrosse. Football at that level is a significant expense, while it sounds like lacrosse is a pretty minor expense/can generate a small profit in terms of enrollment numbers without having to be at the very top level of the sport.
11-12-2017 05:00 PM
DavidSt Online
Heisman

I Root For: ATU, P7
(11-12-2017 03:48 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  All fine and dandy - but there's practically zero lacrosse out west save for Denver and Air Force. Down the line that will have to be addressed.

Maybe petition to bring RMAC up for one sport with both men and women's LAX? It could help. You have teams in Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Missouri. I think they did have a team from one of the Dakota schools at one time.

Man's:
Colorado Mesa
Rockhurst (kansas City Missouri)
Westminster Utah (Salt Lake City)
Adams State
CSU-Pueblo
Maryville

Women's:
Lindenwood
Regis
Colorado Mesa
Fort Lewis
Westminster
Rockhurst
CSU-Pueblo
Oklahoma Baptist]
Adams State
Colorado-Colorado Springs

It might give air force and Denver some close by competition until some more schools out on the west coast starts it.
11-12-2017 05:38 PM

AZcats Offline
2nd String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(11-12-2017 05:38 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(11-12-2017 03:48 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  All fine and dandy - but there's practically zero lacrosse out west save for Denver and Air Force. Down the line that will have to be addressed.

Maybe petition to bring RMAC up for one sport with both men and women's LAX? It could help. You have teams in Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Missouri. I think they did have a team from one of the Dakota schools at one time.

Man's:
Colorado Mesa
Rockhurst (kansas City Missouri)
Westminster Utah (Salt Lake City)
Adams State
CSU-Pueblo
Maryville

Women's:
Lindenwood
Regis
Colorado Mesa
Fort Lewis
Westminster
Rockhurst
CSU-Pueblo
Oklahoma Baptist]
Adams State
Colorado-Colorado Springs

It might give air force and Denver some close by competition until some more schools out on the west coast starts it.

Stop the D2 hijacking. This is a copy of your post from another thread. The NCAA is not going to bend its rules to add 4 small D2 schools to D1 (Maryville has already left the RMAC, Rockhurst men leaves after the 2018 season; both to the new GLVC lacrosse).
11-12-2017 06:18 PM
trephin Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(11-12-2017 04:41 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  I file this under "a good problem to have" for Lacrosse.

The sport is growing on the Coasts, especially the Mid-Atlantic and California

California and The West sure. It's been slowly creeping westward with Denver's success a shining beacon. There's a dearth of D1 schools but it's more active on lower levels at collegiate club and youth levels.

The East Coast and Mid-Atlantic has been synonymous with Lacrosse since it was invented by the Iroquois. And traditionally when you thought f US lacrosse, you thought of New York and Maryland.
11-12-2017 07:34 PM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Maryland & Elon

I don't agree with "practically zero" but there is absolutely a TON of potential growth opportunities. Here's a gif that shows growth from 2005-2015.

[Image: lacrosse-gif3.gif]
11-12-2017 08:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.