Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Your best Guess - EMU's Regular Season MBB Record for 2017 will be . . .
Bookmark and Share
Block_E Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Eastern
Take a guess people. WHAT WILL EMU's REGULAR SEASON RECORD BE?

There's 31 games this season (and I'm including Spring Arbor, UM-Dearborn and Rochester)

BONUS: Will EMU have a five game win streak, and when?
NEGATIVE POINTS: Will EMU have a five game losing streak, and when?

-----------------
MY ANSWER:

18-13
No
No
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2017 09:36 AM by Block_E.)
11-10-2017 09:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
RE: Your best Guess - EMU's Regular Season MBB Record for 2017 will be . . .
Dear Block E,
My guess is 22-9. Yes, but don't know, and No.
11-10-2017 09:46 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I'll say we go 19-12 (10-8). We will surprise one of Indiana or South Florida. No 5 game winning streak, but a 5 game losing streak could be possible in late January/early February, where we play WMU, BSU, @Kent, and @BG. Those games are sandwiched by two matchups with Miami, so any disappointment against the Red Hawks could mean 5 L's in a row. I hope this team goes at least 2-3 in that stretch, but I'm still in "wait and see" mode with Murphy in MAC play.
11-10-2017 09:55 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
I'm tempted to go 18 - 13 because of the tough OOC schedule. I have a conservative 11 - 7 within conference, but more likely it will be 12 - 6 and my 18 - 13 will be too low.

No and no on the streaks. I could have seen a 5 - 0 start to the season if game #5 wasn't Indiana.
11-10-2017 10:00 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(11-10-2017 09:55 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  I'll say we go 19-12 (10-8). We will surprise one of Indiana or South Florida. No 5 game winning streak, but a 5 game losing streak could be possible in late January/early February, where we play WMU, BSU, @Kent, and @BG. Those games are sandwiched by two matchups with Miami, so any disappointment against the Red Hawks could mean 5 L's in a row. I hope this team goes at least 2-3 in that stretch, but I'm still in "wait and see" mode with Murphy in MAC play.

I must "qualify" this with having literally no idea how this team will perform, outside of three guys. If Elijah Minnie and Paul Jackson are studs, or if one of the freshmen lights it up right away, then I could be singing a different tune.

I think a team centered around James Thompson, provided he stays out of foul trouble and doesn't get T'ed up all the time, should win 10 conference games. Anything else is icing on the cake. Now, it's up to Murphy to put his guys in positions to make it happen. I'm glad basketball season is back!
11-10-2017 10:07 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

My thoughts after looking at our roster:

1) We have the best center in the conference in JT4
2) We have the best defender, and slasher in the conference in Tim Bond
3) We have a bonafide D1 scorer in Minnie

However, all of us are just guessing so we should hold the same poll before conference play. With that said, we do not have a back up center for JT4 except a 6'8" 220 lb freshman (too small). Plus we don't have any outside shooters and will have to rely on freshman for that roll.

My guess at this point is:

-Combined record 14-17
-Conference record 8-10

I hope that I'm wrong but shooting really concerns me and no back up center.
11-10-2017 11:40 AM
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

If we only win 6 OOC games, I'll be very disappointed.
11-10-2017 11:47 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

21-10 (12-6 MAC).

They will have there best season yet under Murphy. I agree with luckeyone that outside shooting is a concern (or at least unknown). Otherwise, I don't see any other question marks.

Thompson/Minnie/Bond are solid.
And to find a couple guards won't be hard given so many possibilities with Jackson, Ellison, Silver, McAdoo, or Harris.
11-10-2017 06:39 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
19 and 12
11-10-2017 08:24 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-10-2017 06:39 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  21-10 (12-6 MAC).

They will have there best season yet under Murphy. I agree with luckeyone that outside shooting is a concern (or at least unknown). Otherwise, I don't see any other question marks.

Thompson/Minnie/Bond are solid.
And to find a couple guards won't be hard given so many possibilities with Jackson, Ellison, Silver, McAdoo, or Harris.

I agree that outside shooting will be the concern.
11-10-2017 09:31 PM
EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

19-12, no and no. Murphy misses out on his automatic year extension by 1 win and we get a new coach next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-11-2017 07:40 AM
Advertisement

emdypo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: emu eagles
I'm gonna ask an uncomfortable question, and while I realize I'm opening myself up to personal attacks and judgement, I'm going to ask anyway. Does Rob Murphy intentionally not recruit white players. I just saw the team photo, and realized we don't have a very diverse team (all African American). So i looked back at previous seasons team photos, in 2011 When Murphy began his tenure we had Matt Balkema, Kamil Janton and Austin Harper already in the program, since that time over six recruiting classes and only two white players, Brandon Nazione, and Baylee Steele.

So just for some perspective I looked at CMU, WMU and Toledo's rosters, and all three teams are about much more diverse (about 50/50 white and black) If this was a one season phenomenon I would dismiss it as just luck of who signed, but it seems to me that over six season, numerous transfers, recruiting classes etc.. only two white players seems intentional. Anyone have any information on why our team seems to be not recruiting white players?
11-11-2017 08:53 AM
Block_E Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Eastern
(11-11-2017 08:53 AM)emdypo Wrote:  Hey, there's no white players on the team.

Get this crap off this predictions thread. Go start your own thread.

No replies to this stupidity, please.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2017 09:15 AM by Block_E.)
11-11-2017 09:10 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(11-11-2017 08:53 AM)emdypo Wrote:  I'm gonna ask an uncomfortable question, and while I realize I'm opening myself up to personal attacks and judgement, I'm going to ask anyway. Does Rob Murphy intentionally not recruit white players. I just saw the team photo, and realized we don't have a very diverse team (all African American). So i looked back at previous seasons team photos, in 2011 When Murphy began his tenure we had Matt Balkema, Kamil Janton and Austin Harper already in the program, since that time over six recruiting classes and only two white players, Brandon Nazione, and Baylee Steele.

So just for some perspective I looked at CMU, WMU and Toledo's rosters, and all three teams are about much more diverse (about 50/50 white and black) If this was a one season phenomenon I would dismiss it as just luck of who signed, but it seems to me that over six season, numerous transfers, recruiting classes etc.. only two white players seems intentional. Anyone have any information on why our team seems to be not recruiting white players?

Harper was Murphy's first recruit. He's also had a white assistant coach his whole tenure, and recruited kids of Hispanic and Middle Eastern descent. Not sure what you're trying to get at, but I highly doubt it's what you're insinuating.
11-11-2017 09:36 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(11-11-2017 09:10 AM)Block_E Wrote:  

Whoops, too late. Sorry.
11-11-2017 09:36 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-10-2017 10:00 AM)emu steve Wrote:  I'm tempted to go 18 - 13 because of the tough OOC schedule. I have a conservative 11 - 7 within conference, but more likely it will be 12 - 6 and my 18 - 13 will be too low.

No and no on the streaks. I could have seen a 5 - 0 start to the season if game #5 wasn't Indiana.

I'm going to up my prediction to 19 - 12.

Today, the game at Indiana looks like a game which could really turn some heads if we can beat them.

I think our chance of beating IU are better than I thought 24 hours ago.

And if we beat IU, I'll up our conference record prediction to 12 - 6.

That gives us a possible 20 wins.
11-11-2017 09:47 AM
Advertisement

RamyEMU Offline
All American

(11-11-2017 09:10 AM)Block_E Wrote:  

Block E,
I'll agree with your point that this has nothing to do with predictions and should be on it's own thread. I also agree with emdypo's point that this may be construed by some as a controversial topic. So I am guessing this topic will never get a thread of it's own. So I will respond to his question because I don't emdypo is racist just curious. (My apologies, I don't mean to dismiss your sentiment or request). Anyway...

1. The majority of players on D1 basketball programs are of black ethnicity- for whatever reason. So I think CMU, Toledo, and WMU are more anomalies than EMU.

2. CMU, Toledo, and WMU, all have white coaches. Is it possible white players prefer playing for white coaches? For whatever reason.

3. Otherwise, I agree Murphy has fewer white recruits than EMU coaches in the past. But I think this might be a coincidence more than anything else since as pointed out he has some recruits of various races- ie, he is not excluding anyone.
11-11-2017 10:45 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

BTW, I'm make this parenthetical comment about pre-season conference predictions.

I give them all NO credibility concerning EMU (and possibly a number of other teams).

Did any of those writers know that we had Minnie, possibly all-MAC PF, sitting out. And a possible big surprise in Groce. And a PG, Jackson, and SG, Harris?

Did they know how much JT4 has improved his body?

IF Murphy wanted he could start 4 new starters, Jackson, Harris, Groce, and Minnie. ALL of whom sat out last season.

In this respect, EMU becomes the 'unknown' team of 2017/8 much like the 1994/5 (I think) team was mostly different than the year before. That was the team with Boykins, Dial, Head, Nink, Zajac, etc.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2017 10:46 AM by emu steve.)
11-11-2017 10:45 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(11-11-2017 10:45 AM)emu steve Wrote:  BTW, I'm make this parenthetical comment about pre-season conference predictions.

I give them all NO credibility concerning EMU (and possibly a number of other teams).

Did any of those writers know that we had Minnie, possibly all-MAC PF, sitting out. And a possible big surprise in Groce. And a PG, Jackson, and SG, Harris?

Did they know how much JT4 has improved his body?

IF Murphy wanted he could start 4 new starters, Jackson, Harris, Groce, and Minnie. ALL of whom sat out last season.

In this respect, EMU becomes the 'unknown' team of 2017/8 much like the 1994/5 (I think) team was mostly different than the year before. That was the team with Boykins, Dial, Head, Nink, Zajac, etc.

I think you raise some good points and a good analogy. Though I think that team had some more significant returnees in Torrey Mills, Theron Wilson, Kareem Carpenter (believe went pro in the NFL as TE), and of course the greatest player in EMU history BRIAN TOLBERT. But the current team has a couple big returnees in their own right in as well in Bond and particularly Thompson, so not exact scenario but similar. This is why I have this team as 21-10 and will be Murphy's best year.

I also agree with those treating Minnie as an unknown unnecessarily- I think some on this board (ie myself and Steve) have gotten too excited about new players in the past . But in Minnie's case this is different. He was the central player on a solid Robert Morris team- rather than someone under performing at previous school looking for change of environment. He is a different kind of transfer.

Statistically speaking from the first game (I did not watch), Groce is a COMPLETE surprise. But also some of the other newcomers. Still early though as these lower division games can be misleading.
11-11-2017 11:59 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(11-11-2017 07:40 AM)EAGLE KING Wrote:  19-12, no and no. Murphy misses out on his automatic year extension by 1 win and we get a new coach next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christmas wish coming early?
11-11-2017 05:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.