Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: UCLA players arrested in China....
Bookmark and Share
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
OT: UCLA players arrested in China....
Related only in that CSUB plays UCLA this season. Some of the comments are pretty funny, like getting LaVar Ball to shut up.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=832770

Sent from my SM-G950U using CSNbbs mobile app
11-08-2017 03:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Clarity Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
RE: OT: UCLA players arrested in China....
I'm just a tad bit skeptical of the corrupt, authoritarian Chinese justice system.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017 03:45 PM by Clarity.)
11-08-2017 03:44 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
That corruption is what may get them off.

They are almost certainly dead to rights on this one. Louis Vuitton stores (like many stores in China) will have cctv for security, just as they do everywhere else. A three to ten year sentence, would likely be negotiated ahead of time, and is not dissimilar to plea bargaining, although this will be done with diplomats involved.

The hotel detention is not completely unusual, but does indicate that authorities higher up the chain want this to not be a big story. Some kind of official apology will be necessary to get these young men shipped home without prison time. These will also be some exchange of money. Were these not high profile individuals, most likely they would wind up in a Chinese jail for a year or two, just as a low level Chinese would end up in jail here in the US for a similar crime.

For myself, I'd like to see the agreement be a plea of guilty (this requires a confession by the players, something Communist legal systems require -- long story about how this is required, and be aware China has no 30 or 60 day detention limit like even the Soviet Union had; most torture happens to get that confession). Then sentenced to 3 years, and then released to the US and deported, with the US agreeing to accept the verdict and place it on their records.

Too many Americans are idiots overseas. We really need to do a better job informing people that in another country you have ZERO rights in most cases. When I am in China I follow every rule to the letter. I have to, my wife is a former national. The Chinese government does not recognize that and could if they ever want arrest her as a Chinese citizen even though she renounced it twenty years ago. (There are cases of American citizens even, former PRC citizens, who have been kidnapped in the US and hauled back to China for trial, torture and even death.)

These kids are lucky they are high profile.

Later reports, seems they ripped off three stores, for fricking sunglasses
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2017 07:19 PM by Stugray2.)
11-09-2017 05:14 PM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Quote:Los Angeles Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball shared a conversation Saturday that he had with his father, LaVar Ball, regarding the arrest of his brother LiAngelo Ball in China.

According to ESPN.com's Ohm Youngmisuk, Lonzo said LaVar told him to focus on the Lakers and to not worry about LiAngelo.

"My dad did call me but didn't give me much information," Lonzo said. "He just said be ready to play. We are handling it out here, so that is a good sign ... they are out there, so they are taking care of him."

LiAngelo and UCLA Bruins teammates Cody Riley and Jalen Hill were arrested in China on Tuesday for allegedly stealing sunglasses.

LiAngelo, Riley and Hill are under house arrest at a hotel in China while the legal process plays out.

ESPN.com's Arash Markazi reported Saturday that they will not fly back to Los Angeles with the team and could be forced to stay in China for "a week or two."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27436...g-national
11-11-2017 01:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Quote:Making matters potentially worse for the three arrested Bruins are new details that more stores could be involved in a potential shoplifting spree. According to Markazi’s report, there could be surveillance footage of the UCLA trio shoplifting from two more stores besides the Louis Vuitton store in the high-end shopping center that includes Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent and Salvatore Ferragamo stores.

If these new details prove to be true, then this looks even worse for the arrested trio as the one shoplifting incident wouldn’t be an isolated thing.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-ucla-pla...37125.html
11-11-2017 09:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.