Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Oh great, another Mike Norvell rumor
Bookmark and Share
MemphisMike Offline
Just trying to keep you informed

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Oh great, another Mike Norvell rumor
I don't visit the site very often anymore because of the continued arguing and name calling but I had to report on this. This one has been going around for a while and seems to be gaining strength. There is a rumor that Coach Mike Norvell actually likes Memphis and enjoys coaching here and loves his job and his family likes the atmosphere around the football program and wants to stay here. He appreciates all the attention he's attracting from other schools but he's into something good at Memphis and wants to stay there to see how far he can take the program. Now this is just a rumor but it has as much credibility as a lot of the other garbage being spread.
11-07-2017 12:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerTim Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Oh great, another Mike Norvell rumor
Fake news.
11-07-2017 12:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
(11-07-2017 12:31 PM)MemphisMike Wrote:  I don't visit the site very often anymore because of the continued arguing and name calling but I had to report on this. This one has been going around for a while and seems to be gaining strength. There is a rumor that Coach Mike Norvell actually likes Memphis and enjoys coaching here and loves his job and his family likes the atmosphere around the football program and wants to stay here. He appreciates all the attention he's attracting from other schools but he's into something good at Memphis and wants to stay there to see how far he can take the program. Now this is just a rumor but it has as much credibility as a lot of the other garbage being spread.

Constructive thinking is like 03-puke in these parts
11-07-2017 12:36 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
Just gotta find people to pony up a 6-year, $32mm contract and we might get his attention.
11-07-2017 12:38 PM
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
(11-07-2017 12:38 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  Just gotta find people to pony up a 6-year, $32mm contract and we might get his attention.

I heard it's a guy named Smith that lives around here...
11-07-2017 01:21 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
Hasn't that rock been bled dry?
11-07-2017 01:24 PM
Advertisement

southpaw1 Offline
Southpaw

I Root For: Dry Trails
Seems to me like he had a big bucket of money he was willing to spend to get us into the B12. I assume it's still there. A serious investment in Norvell may be the ticket to the P5 at some point.
11-07-2017 01:45 PM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Norvell and his wife genuinely like Memphis. There are jobs he would take but it will not be just any P5 that comes calling. It will absolutely have to be a place he feels is the right fit.
11-07-2017 01:51 PM
jamammy Offline
Heisman

(11-07-2017 01:46 PM)NJ1 Wrote:  Here's hoping!

I have expected since before the season that this year would likely be his last; I hope to be pleasantly surprised!

This.
11-07-2017 02:11 PM
Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
(11-07-2017 01:24 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  Hasn't that rock been bled dry?

No
11-07-2017 02:25 PM
ddramone Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-07-2017 12:38 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  Just gotta find people to pony up a 6-year, $32mm contract and we might get his attention.

There is some serious risk here. I love what CMN has done here, but let's not forget that when he took the job, the cupboard was not entirely empty either. Moreover, 2 years of D-1 coaching results (spectacular, yes, long measurement period, no) with a stud QB in both years is a 'full sample'. Remember what happened with Opie?

I wish we had one more year worth of results - without Ferguson - to really gauge how good CMN is. I can pretty much assure you that Sexton is working this angle big time as in 'strike while the iron is hot'.
11-07-2017 02:40 PM
Advertisement

Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

(11-07-2017 02:25 PM)Bathtub Gin Wrote:  

No

his net worth has doubled in the last 5 years
11-07-2017 02:48 PM
Crazier Offline
All American

(11-07-2017 02:40 PM)ddramone Wrote:  

There is some serious risk here. I love what CMN has done here, but let's not forget that when he took the job, the cupboard was not entirely empty either. Moreover, 2 years of D-1 coaching results (spectacular, yes, long measurement period, no) with a stud QB in both years is a 'full sample'. Remember what happened with Opie?

I wish we had one more year worth of results - without Ferguson - to really gauge how good CMN is. I can pretty much assure you that Sexton is working this angle big time as in 'strike while the iron is hot'.

I predict 7-8 wins if CMN is here next year. Houston and SMU will be very good next year.
11-07-2017 03:44 PM
fishman6581 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Tigers
We offered Fuente $3.4 to stay. If Norvell turns down $3 mill then best of luck to him.
11-07-2017 03:56 PM
Unbreakable04 Offline
Special Teams

(11-07-2017 03:44 PM)Crazier Wrote:  

I predict 7-8 wins if CMN is here next year. Houston and SMU will be very good next year.

If we find a QB to replace Riley, we'll be back in the same position as this season.
11-07-2017 04:04 PM
TigersTigers Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tigers
David Moore is the answer and will be the QB next year. He can pass and has big time wheels!!

(11-07-2017 04:04 PM)Unbreakable04 Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 03:44 PM)Crazier Wrote:  

If we find a QB to replace Riley, we'll be back in the same position as this season.
11-07-2017 04:40 PM
Advertisement

MemphisMike Offline

Mr. Smith and FedEx offered around $500MM to the Big 12 and those money whores came to him and wanted double and he kicked them out of his office, that's what happened to the Big 12. Now would Mr. Smith pony up more $ to keep a coach? It's his money to do with as he pleases but to keep the program building and getting Memphis to be one of the first phone calls when the next round of major conference expansion happens, I think he has shown he's willing to step up to the plate because if it's good for Memphis it's good for FedEx.
11-07-2017 04:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemphisMike Offline

(11-07-2017 03:56 PM)fishman6581 Wrote:  We offered Fuente $3.4 to stay. If Norvell turns down $3 mill then best of luck to him.

There is a difference in the situations. There was a personal experience Fuente's wife had at a local grocery store that scared her and she was putting pressure on him to leave. No matter what we offered he was gone. Sad story and he basically confirmed as much when he made the comments he wanted to go someplace that was a safe environment for his children to grow up in. I don't think he meant it the way it came out but it still hurt for him to say that.
11-07-2017 04:55 PM
jammaster Offline
Hooptie Ride

I Root For: Tigers/Cowboys
Two seasons ago, I was hoping Fuente would stick around and continue to build on what he had started. I am hoping the same with Norvell, but if he does leave for a better job, I am confident our AD and search committee will bring in the next great coach.
11-07-2017 05:44 PM
fishman6581 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Tigers
(11-07-2017 04:51 PM)MemphisMike Wrote:  

Mr. Smith and FedEx offered around $500MM to the Big 12 and those money whores came to him and wanted double and he kicked them out of his office, that's what happened to the Big 12. Now would Mr. Smith pony up more $ to keep a coach? It's his money to do with as he pleases but to keep the program building and getting Memphis to be one of the first phone calls when the next round of major conference expansion happens, I think he has shown he's willing to step up to the plate because if it's good for Memphis it's good for FedEx.

FedEx Stadium sounds pretty good. Then again, so did the FedEx Big 12 Championship.
11-08-2017 12:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.