Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Could the NCAA outlaw participation in AAU basketball?
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Could the NCAA outlaw participation in AAU basketball?
Cheating in the recruitment of college athletes has existed since there was such a thing as college athletes. We will never see a day when cheating is eliminated. But are there some kinds of cheating that are worse than others?

College basketball has been fundamentally changed, and in a highly toxic way, by a relatively recent phenomenon: the rise of AAU leagues funded by sports apparel companies. The incestuous and symbiotic relationships between the shoe companies, college coaches, AAU coaches and sports agents have combined to undermine the integrity of the sport beyond anything we have ever seen. And I use the phrase "integrity of the sport" with a profound recognition of the irony it contains.

In other threads I have suggested a return to freshman ineligibility as a way to combat some of the problems AAU basketball and the NBA's rules which have given rise to the term "one and done". Many rightly are concerned that such a broad brush would adversely affect schools and players that really aren't part of the problem.

But what about a different approach? What if the NCAA were to establish by rule that participating in AAU summer leagues, which are run and funded by people who are part of the problem, was a violation of amateurism rules. That is, the players who participate are receiving something of great value which somebody else is paying for, based solely on their athletic prowess. The NCAA penalty for a violation of this rule could be that the player must sit out of competition for one year before regaining eligibility and loses a year of eligibility. That is, he would have four years to use three years of eligibility.

How might such a rule change the landscape of recruiting?
11-02-2017 07:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Could the NCAA outlaw participation in AAU basketball?
AAU basketball goes away replaced by massive "skills" camps where players spend two or three days mostly playing basketball under the guise of being coached to improve skills.
11-02-2017 08:35 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

(11-02-2017 08:35 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  AAU basketball goes away replaced by massive "skills" camps where players spend two or three days mostly playing basketball under the guise of being coached to improve skills.

Or, it could be replaced by a series of NCAA sponsored skills camps throughout the summer.
11-02-2017 09:25 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(11-02-2017 07:50 AM)ken d Wrote:  Could the NCAA outlaw participation in AAU basketball?

No.

AAU basketball already has more than enough power to prevent the NCAA from banning AAU players from NCAA basketball.
11-02-2017 12:14 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

(11-02-2017 12:14 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 07:50 AM)ken d Wrote:  Could the NCAA outlaw participation in AAU basketball?

No.

AAU basketball already has more than enough power to prevent the NCAA from banning AAU players from NCAA basketball.

How do we know that? All I'm suggesting is that they can't play as freshmen. What is the source of the power you believe they have over the NCAA?
11-02-2017 01:00 PM
Wedge Offline

(11-02-2017 01:00 PM)ken d Wrote:  

No.

How do we know that? All I'm suggesting is that they can't play as freshmen. What is the source of the power you believe they have over the NCAA?

The AAU/Nike/adidas/UA ecosystem provides the money that fuels big-time college hoops. Pitino was getting money directly from adidas, and there are many coaches who get over a million a year directly from the shoe guys. Even coaches who (as far as we know) are not the beneficiaries of the shoe guys paying players to go to a certain school as alleged by the feds.

College athletic programs and college basketball coaches are making millions from Nike, adidas, and UA. Shafting AAU hoops, or singling out AAU players for ineligibility (either temporary or permanent) would threaten the hold that Nike and adidas have over elite basketball recruits, unless...

... unless the sport adopts the only feasible measure to limit that ecosystem's infection of college hoops, which is for the NBA to make 18-year-olds draft-eligible, so that the underground economy that is now centered on one-and-done players largely bypasses college basketball.

In other words: Don't go to war with AAU basketball; just bypass them.
11-02-2017 02:36 PM
Advertisement

ken d Online
Hall of Famer

(11-02-2017 02:36 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

No.

The AAU/Nike/adidas/UA ecosystem provides the money that fuels big-time college hoops. Pitino was getting money directly from adidas, and there are many coaches who get over a million a year directly from the shoe guys. Even coaches who (as far as we know) are not the beneficiaries of the shoe guys paying players to go to a certain school as alleged by the feds.

College athletic programs and college basketball coaches are making millions from Nike, adidas, and UA. Shafting AAU hoops, or singling out AAU players for ineligibility (either temporary or permanent) would threaten the hold that Nike and adidas have over elite basketball recruits, unless...

... unless the sport adopts the only feasible measure to limit that ecosystem's infection of college hoops, which is for the NBA to make 18-year-olds draft-eligible, so that the underground economy that is now centered on one-and-done players largely bypasses college basketball.

The problem for the NCAA is that they have no control over the NBA. They can only do what is within their power.
11-02-2017 03:47 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(11-02-2017 03:47 PM)ken d Wrote:  

No.

The problem for the NCAA is that they have no control over the NBA. They can only do what is within their power.

There are inherent problems. The NCAA is equipped to manage non revenue sports. They are not legally capable of handling the plethora of issues arising from revenue sports. However, how could the NCAA manage the non revenue sports without revenue sports? They have to soak college basketball to pay for it all. I seriously doubt that the schools could support the bureaucracy of the NCAA with fees to manage non revenues. I also seriously doubt the NCAA will be able to preserve tax exempt status for revenue sports, which of course will affect their purview.

So Ken D it seems to me we are at an impasse. There is no reason for the NCAA to hold any control over revenue sports if they essentially lose amateur status and become taxable. Besides being able to allow the kids to have endorsement revenue is better for all concerned if it is legal and taxable. Some taxable stipends are in order as well. And there is no way for the NCAA to maintain control over non revenue sports in a cost effective way as they are presently constituted.

So not only can they not really regulate the AAU, I'm not sure they will able to ultimately wield monetary control over what might become taxable revenue, particularly in light of the tax bill that is working its way through Congress right now.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2017 07:31 PM by JRsec.)
11-02-2017 07:27 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

(11-02-2017 07:27 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 03:47 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(11-02-2017 12:14 PM)Wedge Wrote:  No.

There are inherent problems. The NCAA is equipped to manage non revenue sports. They are not legally capable of handling the plethora of issues arising from revenue sports. However, how could the NCAA manage the non revenue sports without revenue sports? They have to soak college basketball to pay for it all. I seriously doubt that the schools could support the bureaucracy of the NCAA with fees to manage non revenues. I also seriously doubt the NCAA will be able to preserve tax exempt status for revenue sports, which of course will affect their purview.

So Ken D it seems to me we are at an impasse. There is no reason for the NCAA to hold any control over revenue sports if they essentially lose amateur status and become taxable. Besides being able to allow the kids to have endorsement revenue is better for all concerned if it is legal and taxable. Some taxable stipends are in order as well. And there is no way for the NCAA to maintain control over non revenue sports in a cost effective way as they are presently constituted.

So not only can they not really regulate the AAU, I'm not sure they will able to ultimately wield monetary control over what might become taxable revenue, particularly in light of the tax bill that is working its way through Congress right now.

I was considering the possibility that this could be a way for the NCAA to stave off a blanket elimination of amateur status. The reality is that the number of players who could command endorsement revenue is relatively small. The number of players on whom an agent might want to risk significant cash betting on a lucrative pro career is similarly small.

I could envision a system in which a fairly small number of high school players think highly enough of their eventual pro prospects that they would be willing to play on an AAU team knowing they would forfeit a year's eligibility if they aren't offered a D-league contract right out of high school (assuming the NBA doesn't change its stance on who they will draft).

Many wouldn't take that risk, instead opting to get their exposure to college coaches through NCAA sponsored summer camps. The NCAA could elect to eliminate all their rules about declaring for or withdrawing from the draft. Let the NBA draft whomever they will, and let anyone not drafted, or signing a D-league contract, return to school without penalty. They could also permit players to seek the advice of agents in this process without penalty. The NBA could cooperate in this by offering all NBA or D-League contracts by July 1 so colleges to plan their rosters better.

Perhaps by giving the best prospects a chance to cash in early, the NCAA could protect the amateur status of the many more players who are actual students, and preserve their own role in intercollegiate athletics at the same time.

But I agree with you that, barring some middle ground solution, the NCAA model is going to get blown out of the water before too much longer. The genie is already halfway out of the bottle.
11-02-2017 09:30 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
The NCAA has the power over the AAU.

The AAU only gets shoe company money because it funnels players to top NCAA schools. If that pipeline disappears, so does the AAU's money.

Saying that the AAU leagues have power over the NCAA is like saying that Ebay sellers have power over Ebay.
11-03-2017 10:11 AM
Wedge Offline

The NCAA doesn't control its members; the members control the NCAA.

And the members have been feasting on that shoe company money for a long time and hope to continue doing so long into the future.
11-03-2017 10:31 AM
Advertisement

ken d Online
Hall of Famer

(11-03-2017 10:11 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  The NCAA has the power over the AAU.

The AAU only gets shoe company money because it funnels players to top NCAA schools. If that pipeline disappears, so does the AAU's money.

Saying that the AAU leagues have power over the NCAA is like saying that Ebay sellers have power over Ebay.

Isn't this the case only if the AAU disappears entirely? What if, instead, it were greatly downsized in terms of the number of players, but still included most of the top prospects - the one and dones and those who think they will be one and done? Won't the shoe companies still want to sign those kids to endorsement deals, even if they don't go to college?

In the case of a downsized AAU, the real losers IMO are the many poorly qualified coaches whose sole motive for running a team is to leech financially off their players (and the bottom feeding "financial advisers") . I wouldn't feel sorry for them.
11-03-2017 11:42 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
The more common arrangement now is for the shoe/apparel contract to be with the school rather than the coach but that money (usually paid to the booster club) helps fund the salary of the coach.

Schools would be much more inclined to regulate the intersection of college and shoe companies if it were only enriching the coach, but that isn't the case.

The NCAA could absolutely function on strictly dues. It might be pushed to eliminate some tangential programs but it could function.

If the NCAA Tournament was a direct pass through to the schools and had no revenue except TV, but the same basketball distribution formula was used, the value of a unit would be just north of $1.4 million so a conference with six one and done appearances would receive just over $8.5 million a year. Put that in their hands then tell them to pay back to the NCAA for dues, the NCAA would shrink pretty damn fast.
11-03-2017 02:58 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline

(11-03-2017 10:31 AM)Wedge Wrote:  The NCAA doesn't control its members; the members control the NCAA.

And the members have been feasting on that shoe company money for a long time and hope to continue doing so long into the future.

Good point.

The Presidents of the NCAA schools ultimately control the NCAA. But usually they can't be bothered with it, so the NCAA is run by Athletic Directors (who are controlled by donors and the shoe companies). The real question is: when will the presidents wake up, pay attention, take the power away from ADs, and start to reform the badly broken system?

If the Adidas scandal and the UNC scandal won't do it, I'm afraid nothing will.
11-03-2017 04:22 PM
Wedge Offline

(11-03-2017 04:22 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 10:31 AM)Wedge Wrote:  The NCAA doesn't control its members; the members control the NCAA.

Good point.

The Presidents of the NCAA schools ultimately control the NCAA. But usually they can't be bothered with it, so the NCAA is run by Athletic Directors (who are controlled by donors and the shoe companies). The real question is: when will the presidents wake up, pay attention, take the power away from ADs, and start to reform the badly broken system?

If the Adidas scandal and the UNC scandal won't do it, I'm afraid nothing will.

Agreed, I wouldn't expect the presidents to do that any time soon. I think most university presidents think that a critical part of an AD's job is to handle athletics so completely that the president never has to make decisions on athletics and only has to show up to congratulate a winning team or take credit for something that the athletic department did.
11-03-2017 05:10 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(11-03-2017 02:58 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  The more common arrangement now is for the shoe/apparel contract to be with the school rather than the coach but that money (usually paid to the booster club) helps fund the salary of the coach.

Schools would be much more inclined to regulate the intersection of college and shoe companies if it were only enriching the coach, but that isn't the case.

The NCAA could absolutely function on strictly dues. It might be pushed to eliminate some tangential programs but it could function.

If the NCAA Tournament was a direct pass through to the schools and had no revenue except TV, but the same basketball distribution formula was used, the value of a unit would be just north of $1.4 million so a conference with six one and done appearances would receive just over $8.5 million a year. Put that in their hands then tell them to pay back to the NCAA for dues, the NCAA would shrink pretty damn fast.

Now remember that the NCAA tournament pockets over 70 million a year on the tournament. That's 1,077,000 dollars per game more than what they pay out in tourney credits now. I'd say those units would be worth around 2 million each. But yeah, they would shrink in a hurry if thy had to live off of dues and that would probably be a danged good thing.
11-03-2017 06:15 PM
Advertisement

Go College Sports Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NCAA
Banning AAU is treating the symptom rather than the disease. As long as there are billions of dollars to be made, the same perceived issues will exist regardless of what happens with summer ball.
11-04-2017 08:57 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

(11-04-2017 08:57 AM)Go College Sports Wrote:  Banning AAU is treating the symptom rather than the disease. As long as there are billions of dollars to be made, the same perceived issues will exist regardless of what happens with summer ball.

That depends somewhat on what you consider the disease to be.

Some might consider it to be the influence of shoe companies on where basketball players go to college and the resulting incentive to violate NCAA rules and/or state and federal laws. Others might consider it to be the exploitation of athletes who are caught in the middle between the NCAA, AAU and NBA.

As I said, I don't propose banning AAU. They are a legitimate avenue to the NBA for players who aren't interested in getting a college degree at this stage of their lives. I'm just offering a compromise that doesn't shut off avenues for late bloomers, and doesn't risk blowing up the goose that lays golden eggs for NCAA members.
11-04-2017 10:47 AM
Go College Sports Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NCAA
The disease is the money. Or more specifically the "half in, half out" approach to the money that NCAA member institutions want to keep. As soon as we see some schools stop accepting ever increasing sums of money from apparel companies, I'll believe that they recognize the problem. But until then, it's clear that nothing will really change. I don't believe that the NCAA is equipped to administer additional competitions in a sufficient manner nor do I think that punishing athletes for playing sports is the kind of forward-looking solution that the NCAA desperately needs.
11-04-2017 03:00 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline

(11-03-2017 06:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 02:58 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  The more common arrangement now is for the shoe/apparel contract to be with the school rather than the coach but that money (usually paid to the booster club) helps fund the salary of the coach.

Now remember that the NCAA tournament pockets over 70 million a year on the tournament. That's 1,077,000 dollars per game more than what they pay out in tourney credits now. I'd say those units would be worth around 2 million each. But yeah, they would shrink in a hurry if thy had to live off of dues and that would probably be a danged good thing.

Agreed. It'd end a lot of the ridiculous move ups that we've been seeing.

Since 1980, there have been 97 schools move up to D-1 basketball and 15 schools move down. In football you've seen 18 move up and 32 move down.

If the economics were more fair, you'd see a lot fewer basketball schools moving up and stealing money from the Kansas's and Indiana's of the world.
11-06-2017 12:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.